smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Very newbie question.

Post by smegwina »

nordwulf wrote:
smegwina wrote:
Mikkei4 wrote:The level of "precision setting" and accuracy testing that most of the Muppets on here undertake is little short of lunacy.
The lack of attention to detail and no appreciation of accuracy of a mechanical timepiece is saddening, sloppy and just a bit lazy. ;)
Guilty as charged m'lud. :lol:

I fully accept that I am in the distinct minority, but I shall try tirelessly to change thoughts and processes from within! Sloppiness shall prevail!!

Besides, I love the Muppets.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I don't have COSC like OCD but like a watch to be roughly the correct time(say +/-30s) then I know if I'm early or late for a meeting/train/episode of Dr Foster/whatever.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Keithnagel
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Keithnagel »

I'd rather be early than late! 8)
C60 black bezel, Seiko 6309-7040, Orient Bambino, Seiko 7s26-0020
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I think the Nordwulf/smegwina/Mikkei4 series of quotes got a little messed up as I did not post "The level of "precision setting" and accuracy testing that most of the Muppets on here undertake is little short of lunacy."

Does this provide evidence to support nordwulf's suggestion to drop or limit the "quote" option? :D
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thegreyman wrote:I don't have COSC like OCD but like a watch to be roughly the correct time(say +/-30s) then I know if I'm early or late for a meeting/train/episode of Dr Foster/whatever.
Hold on a minute (or 30 secs if you want?)
You live in the UK (well at present anyway :D ) and are ok with your watch being only +/- 30secs into order to catch a train ? Down here in order to catch my commuter train I used to arrive at the station at least 5 mins before the train was due to arrive and often had to wait for countless minutes after it was meant to arrive.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

i set my watch a minute or two fast usually, and it definitely gives me a psychological feeling of being ahead of the game, and on top of things. (i'm never psychologically ahead of the game or on top of things but that's beside the point!) :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As ever with me, it depends on the rate of the watch and frequency of use.

Quartz watches: I simply set them precisely, probably once a month on the first Sunday.

My Tank gains about three to four seconds a day. To compensate for this I set it half a minute slow, and then retard it by a minute about once a fortnight. As long as it keeps running I can be confident that it will be within half a minute either way. That’s fine by me.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Masonic101
Senior
Senior

Post by Masonic101 »

I'd rather my watch gains than loses ...if I'm relying on it to tell me the time (!) it's better to get to an appointment, flight, wedding etc early than late. That said I'd not get hung up on OCD accurateness myself. A few seconds here or there won't nark me.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Masonic101 wrote:I'd rather my watch gains than loses ...if I'm relying on it to tell me the time (!) it's better to get to an appointment, flight, wedding etc early than late. That said I'd not get hung up on OCD accurateness myself. A few seconds here or there won't nark me.
Ditto! :thumbup:
Steve.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

My two CW's currently run slow. Trident loses about 2 sec/day and C11 loses about 4 sec/day. Neither bug me because I usually let them run down every 3 weeks or so. Fast or slow, I would have the same reset process. Trident is currently -35 sec so probably time I wear the C11 for a bit. :thumbup:
Masonic101
Senior
Senior

Post by Masonic101 »

And sometimes laying a mechanical watch in a different position at rest can balance out the loss or gain. Experimentation required.

One of mine gains 2 secs in the day but when laying overnight on its side it counters the gain by -2 secs to run bang on. Hmm, maybe I am more OCD than I thought I was. That said it is pleasing. :D
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

nordwulf wrote:I want the minute hand in exactly the right position to hit the minute markers spot on so that can take a few minutes to reset to the correct time. Some watches can only be accurately set on the 5-minutes marks.
Thankfully I am not alone in the world doing it this way also.
It took me three goes today to properly set my C5 automatic so that it was spot on, very rewarding though, at least for me :lol:
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

^^^ Far from it, I am the same way. Once set I don't mind the time straying a few seconds per day but the minute hand must line up perfectly.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Very newbie question.

Post by gaf1958 »

Generally speaking I don't wear a watch long enough for it to matter, so fast or slow doesn't bother me although I do like the degree (of fast or slow to be reasonable).

With respect to accuracy of setting, unless I'm timing a watch (usually only if selling it, or contemplating getting it serviced) I have to say that more often than not, I'm in agreement with the two gentlemen below... :)
Mikkei4 wrote:I'm really not bothered with setting it to the exact second as some of the contributors are describing.
smegwina wrote:Get the watch, whip it round to the correct time, stick/screw the crown in and get on with your life. (And sod the seconds!!)
I do like the date to be correct though!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Texican
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Texican »

:) I'd rather be early than late!