LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Recent Banning

Post by Kip »

Would you buy a watch from this person?

The Admin Team thought it was time we offered a bit more explanation as to the recent banning of Summerz. First of all we do not just arbitrarily ban people because we do not agree with their point of view. Please see the thread here for a bit of an explanation.

What we usually do is warn someone who does not wish to abide by the rules of the forum. This is usually sufficient. In this case we have someone who stepped way out of line and refused to agree to a settlement offer. Result…banned.

Rule 15 of our Rules and Etiquette prohibit misrepresentation. As you can see by the chart below, This member has continually registered on this forum and represented himself each time as someone new. Under the guise of a fan of CW, using multiple methods of deception, he has tried repeatedly to treat us all as fools.

So far, and with the assistance of a few members, we have been able to uncover each plot either at registration or within a few days. This time, the member even got as far as listing a watch in the Sales Corner.

Regardless of how quickly we spot this continual impostor, we do not act until we have absolute proof.

So after a few suppositions on the forum, as well as some personal pm’s as to what happened with the recent banning we wanted to set the record straight.

Anyway, we shall, with the continued watchful eyes of you, our fellow inmates, remain vigilant.

Now I ask again…would you buy a watch from this person?

And a further ID:

Masonic101 Joined 16/10/2017 Banned 22/10/2017
DillyDilly Joined 28/04/2018 Banned 13/05/2018
Arnie Joined 20/05/2018 Banned 20/05/2018 Posts never approved
Broadsword Joined 08/01/2019 Banned 08/01/2019 Posts never approved
Deployant Dave Joined 04/06/2019 Banned 05/12/2019
WATCHWIZ Joined 10/05/2019 Banned 19/05/2019
Hammy85 Joined 19/6/2019 Banned 29/06/2019
ALFROBE Joined 26/7/2019 Banned 26/7/2019
ROBBIE70 Joined 23/12/2020 Banned 27/12/2020
DaveExplorer Joined 28/12/2020 Banned 28/12/2020 Posts never approved
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Recent Banning

Post by suicidal_orange »

:shock: he really wants back in but no, I'd rather not buy from him.

Perhaps there should be a membership length restriction put on sales corner - 3 days is not unreasonable to make 30 posts but it's not enough time for you to confirm your suspicions. That or a 'restricted' group for suspected dodgy users who can't post in there regardless?

Thanks for being vigilant and catching him again :thumbup:
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Not sure we want to go down this road. But I am a member of another forum (not watch related), we had a little trouble.

So it was decided to restrict new membership to referrals from current members. It has proved very successful.

There are a significant number who register here and never post or very quickly reach 30 and hey presto! Have a watch to sell.

As it is mainly the Sales Corner which is inaccessible to new members or those just browsing, then referrals only may be the answer.

Just my thoughts, and as I say, not sure the Forum wants to head that way.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ What % of people that join a watch forum, already know someone who is a member?

I would suggest not many.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TheBeatles wrote: So it was decided to restrict new membership to referrals from current members. It has proved very successful.

Problem: I have discovered this really interesting watch company and would like to know more about it. They have an interest form, but although I can see it I can't join it unless I am sponsored by two current members. Problem is, I don't know any! :problem:

I do see your point, but I would probably agree that we don't want to go down that road. We are an Internet interest forum, not the MCC or the Athenaeum.

It is interesting that so many companies use the word "exclusive" in their advertising. My favourite holiday company does it. CW has done it, I believe. Taken literally, of course, which it seldom is these days, it would actually refer to the process of shutting people out. I'm sure we would prefer to think of ourselves as inclusive. As long as people accept and follow the rules, that is.

It is also quite difficult to have a separate restricted class for the naughty boys. You really have to have proof of misdoing before you take any significant action. Most people respond very well to a quiet PM or a single or even repeated warning. Beyond that they are probably going to get banned.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

nbg wrote:^^^^^ What % of people that join a watch forum, already know someone who is a member?

I would suggest not many.

Neil
I only put it up as a possible solution, but your point could be said of any worldwide forum. Whatever the topic.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^^ Yes it could! :)

Neil
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Speedposted his way to Sales Corner even after AVO had a word after which he responded that he was in no rush to buy or sell anything.
He then immediately posted a watch for sale upon gaining access.
Bad form :thumbdown:
Ryan
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

I've only been a member coming up to a year.

So could any of our more long standing members say whether the problems seem to be getting worse or more frequent.

Could the forum be a victim of its own success, perhaps.

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

StrappedUp wrote:Speedposted his way to Sales Corner even after AVO had a word after which he responded that he was in no rush to buy or sell anything.
He then immediately posted a watch for sale upon gaining access.
Bad form :thumbdown:
Plain stupid if you ask me!
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

There are very few problems on this forum. We review the first few posts of every new member and that enables us to weed out the obvious spammers. For sure, the biggest issue is the guys who join only for the sales corner and try to speed their way to access. That's annoying, but we usually spot it and encourage them to slow down. If we had a time limit as well as a post limit, I think we would eradicate the problem.

As for this particular chap and his repeated attempts to join, I think we have enough checks and balances in place. 8)
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

TheBeatles wrote:I've only been a member coming up to a year.

So could any of our more long standing members say whether the problems seem to be getting worse or more frequent.

Doesn't seem to me to be any better or worse. Very few members are banned, or were you more thinking of people who join just with a view to getting access to Sales Corner?

The main focus of the person banned multiple times, wasn't about getting access to SC, it seems to have been about winding people up.

Neil
TZ-UK
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

nbg wrote:
TheBeatles wrote:I've only been a member coming up to a year.

Very few members are banned, or were you more thinking of people who join just with a view to getting access to Sales Corner?

Neil
Yes Neil, more on those lines.

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

downer wrote:There are very few problems on this forum. We review the first few posts of every new member and that enables us to weed out the obvious spammers. For sure, the biggest issue is the guys who join only for the sales corner and try to speed their way to access. That's annoying, but we usually spot it and encourage them to slow down. If we had a time limit as well as a post limit, I think we would eradicate the problem.

As for this particular chap and his repeated attempts to join, I think we have enough checks and balances in place. 8)
I know I'm still fairly new around here and so maybe not in a position to suggest things just yet, but would it be a possibility to have the system in 2 parts? ie; the current system of 30 posts and no time limit to purchase from sales corner (I grabbed a great strap myself from there after not many more than 30 posts), but increased including a time limit in order to sell (50 posts/3months as an example). This may take too much admin time to set up, but is only a thought
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Other than MadJam250 and aliases I can't recall anyone else (of note) having been banned in my nearly 5 years membership of the forum.

Arguably this person has got 'issues' of one sort or another that are not worth dwelling on.

Overall, kudos to Kip and the Mods team for their diligence in keeping the forum a safe and enjoyable place.

As to the sales corner rules, I think they are fine as they are. OK, we get the occasional newbie who speed-posts there way to it, but once there finds its not utopia and quietly move on.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England