New Trident range now live!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: New Trident range now live!

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Not to argue about the logo moving to the left, but this change has opened my eyes to how stupid the 2nd logo was. It is a pretty weird thing... I now get why people prefer the original logo, even though it was too small for me. I mean look at this:

CHR.WARD
..................................London

That is like the most awkward, faux luxery thing ever. It is odd. I now prefer the new logo to all but even that has its faults. I don't think CW has ever had a truly great logo... they should have just started using the Trident logo throughout the whole line and called it a day.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

Post by biscuit141 »

Devarika Woulf wrote:First review?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPchYWdmR8
When that minute hands is at the 45 minute position it looks absolutely terrible. So much empty space on that dial! What was Christopher Ward thinking.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Devarika Woulf wrote:Not to argue about the logo moving to the left, but this change has opened my eyes to how stupid the 2nd logo was. It is a pretty weird thing... I now get why people prefer the original logo, even though it was too small for me. I mean look at this:

CHR.WARD
..................................London

That is like the most awkward, faux luxery thing ever. It is odd. I now prefer the new logo to all but even that has its faults. I don't think CW has ever had a truly great logo... they should have just started using the Trident logo throughout the whole line and called it a day.

Yes the previous logo wasn't perfect - just better than the new and more importantly I think it was better positioned. Would the Trident as the logo have stepped on Maserati's toes? and it wouldn't have described the whole CW range. The removal of the Trident wording from the C60 just adds to the split views around the logo/name change.

The video makes the empty space and imbalance more evident.
phcollard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by phcollard »

Well that video just killed my hopes for a new Trident. I wasn't sure about the new non-logo, but I wanted to like it. I like minimalistic objects sometimes and it looked like the watch could fit into this category. Alas I must say the new dial design completely fails to interest me, or I even find it ridiculous. That's a shame because I really like the Trident case, it's just perfect. I was ready to buy the Day/Date LE, I was also looking at the titanium #2. I just saved $1000 by spending fifteen minutes on YouTube. How often does this happen!
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

As previously mentioned I was indifferent to the new logo and position, but now prefer the old model because the top of the new dial is empty - I wonder what the sales figures are and whether we will find the logo moves below 12 at some point in the future.

New owners seems scarce, which for a popular product line seems a bit strange to me.

I have the option on an old 43 Vintage and might sell my new Vintage on because it just feels a bit gappy, but I'm in no rush, so we'll see.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

From reading Chris's commends on Reddit, it seems they changed the logo mainly due to the originality compared to other brands. It's true that most brands have it up and center, so CW does truly stand out now from the crowd. The first logo was tiny and very close to another brand so it had to be changed. The second was just too much special text for the long term. Like it or not, I can see this being long term for the brand. They may lose a lot of customers, but Chris noted in the AMA that sales have been better than ever since the rebranding, so what does that tell you? They're moving a very different, unique direction from other brands and they don't care what anyone thinks.

Myself? The left logo doesn't bother me at all. It is still a bit odd though and will take a while to get used to.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
phcollard
Senior
Senior

Post by phcollard »

Devarika Woulf wrote:... but Chris noted in the AMA that sales have been better than ever since the rebranding, so what does that tell you? They're moving a very different, unique direction from other brands and they don't care what anyone thinks.
Not sure this is true or if it is marketing fluff. It's been only a month since the new Trident has launched so his statistics are surely flawed. I'd wait to see how it goes after one year before making such statements. Of course if he counts all the Tridents that got sold during the heavily discounted sales I would believe him! :lol:
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Devarika Woulf wrote:so CW does truly stand out now from the crowd.

but Chris noted in the AMA that sales have been better than ever since the rebranding, so what does that tell you? They're moving a very different, unique direction from other brands and they don't care what anyone thinks.
CW might think it stands out from the crowd, but not in a good way.

Those sales figures probably include all the old branded watches being sold off!

Please explain to me how CW are, 'moving a very different, unique direction from other brands'?
'Tis me
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Caller wrote:CW might think it stands out from the crowd, but not in a good way.

Those sales figures probably include all the old branded watches being sold off!

Please explain to me how CW are, 'moving a very different, unique direction from other brands'?
One thing unique from my perspective is their ability to offer a "in-house" (which some may debate depending upon your definition) movement with 5 days of power reserve and COSC chronometer certification for a fraction of the price it would cost with other Swiss Made timepieces. :thumbup:
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

I think CW does run a different and unique buisness comparing to other brands, certainly there is none running like CW or correct me if there is another internet only brand which is Swiss made, with in-house movement (not to mention the 5 days PR), a full range caterlog and scrap metal novelties (being the most expensive product). CW is like none other for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Incoming: 0
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Devarika Woulf wrote:Chris noted in the AMA that sales have been better than ever since the rebranding, so what does that tell you?
That tells me he's spinning a line. A non-mathematical look at what's been available to buy on the web site since the relaunch shows mostly old logo watches, with a large proportion discounted.

Now, he may be comparing first period of new model sales - so new logo C65 first 3 months versus v1 version - but I've not seen many represented here, on Facebook, Instagram or other forums.

Or, more likely, the bank balance looks great because they're shifting loads of stock...

Only time will tell how successful the new models are. The new case and related Grand Malvern are great looking, so can see that being a long term success. It's more of a vertical for CW too, so there must be a decent margin in there.

I'm not so sure the same will be said for the C60. Let's see how many turn up.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
monkwearmouth
Senior
Senior

Post by monkwearmouth »

Thanks for posting the video DW. Very helpful- I really don't mind the new logo at all. It's a non issue for me. And the bracelet has the same logo as the crown. I'm sold! Just waiting for some watch money to hit my bank then I will order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior

Post by bonecrusher »

I can't help thinking they may have been better advised to re-brand simply as "Ward", perhaps with an addition of "London" elsewhere on the dial. Most watch brands are single words, makes things simpler and easier IMHO.

Just my twopennerth.
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

bonecrusher wrote:I can't help thinking they may have been better advised to re-brand simply as "Ward", perhaps with an addition of "London" elsewhere on the dial. Most watch brands are single words, makes things simpler and easier IMHO.

Just my twopennerth.
Yep....! :D

Smudge1962
CW-watches: 1

Post by Smudge1962 »

nordwulf wrote:
bonecrusher wrote:I can't help thinking they may have been better advised to re-brand simply as "Ward", perhaps with an addition of "London" elsewhere on the dial. Most watch brands are single words, makes things simpler and easier IMHO.

Just my twopennerth.
Yep....! :D

Not for me. Redolent of Lonsdale or something equally tacky and cheap. How about using the letters of the triumvirate in some way? EF&W
Hey, buddy, would you like to buy a watch real cheap?
Here on the street
I got six on each arm and two more round my feet
Life is a carnival, believe it or not
Life is a carnival, two bits a shot

The Band - Life Is A Carnival