Poll: Chr.Ward movements .. being more specific?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Chr.Ward movements .. specifics to be annotated in handbook, or not?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:50 am

Yes. I would like to know what movement my watch utilises and have it recorded in the handbook, but don't mind which one it is.
60%
No, I don't care which movement my watch uses.
40%

Total votes: 102

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Re: Poll: Chr.Ward movements .. being more specific?

Post by richtel »

Serlo wrote:And that's why I think CW had better stick to Sellita movements. Does anyone actually know how many percent of the Tridents have ETA movements? Is it 50% Sellita and 50% ETA or 90% Sellita and 10% ETA?
I know it's a very small sample size, but of my four CW watches within the either/or category bought in the last six months, I know that at least two have ETAs becuase I can see the rotor through the caseback window, and because the rotor engraving says 25 jewels instead of 26, I know they're 2824-2s. The other two are sealed C60s.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by MadJam250 »

richtel wrote:
Serlo wrote:And that's why I think CW had better stick to Sellita movements. Does anyone actually know how many percent of the Tridents have ETA movements? Is it 50% Sellita and 50% ETA or 90% Sellita and 10% ETA?
I know it's a very small sample size, but of my four CW watches within the either/or category bought in the last six months, I know that at least two have ETAs becuase I can see the rotor through the caseback window, and because the rotor engraving says 25 jewels instead of 26, I know they're 2824-2s. The other two are sealed C60s.
Not that it really matters, but I'd still be itching/intrigued to know what the two C60s were powered by.
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Steinhart Titanium O1Ti500P
* Tissot Visodate heritage incoming
* Certina DS Podium chrono
* Seiko SARB033
* Smiths vintage mechanical WC4204/s
* Brathwait Classic Slim Steel
* Invicta 8924, 9094
Pav
Junior
Junior

Post by Pav »

Personally, it does not bother me whether it is one or the other.

There are advantages for both, but for fairness sake, I think CW should really tell you what you are buying. I don't think you should get a choice, but at least you should be allowed to know.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I wish we could know which movement but whatever. If you need to be so sure I'd step-up to a model that specially tells you what it is, such as the Trident GMT or Slimline Square.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by MadJam250 »

Devarika Woulf wrote:I wish we could know which movement but whatever. If you need to be so sure I'd step-up to a model that specially tells you what it is, such as the Trident GMT or Slimline Square.
As we are, mostly, talking about the C60 auto here (starting at £599) then to buy a Slimline would, in effect, price wise at least, be a step down. For £599 I think I, let alone the supplier, should know what movement I have paid for.
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Seiko SARB033
* Invicta 8924, 9094
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

CWL has chosen to tell you what possible movements you will get when it is offered as either/or. This is done so because of supply issues from both ETA and Sellita. Lead times for movements can be from months up to 2 years. Offering with either/or of equivalent movements prevents/ minimizes production delays. It is not a choice, it is either or. It also this way because, as has been mentioned, the y are not going to play the smoke and mirrors game that so many others do.

They consider the movements equals so have chosen to market them this way. Frankly, the question rarely comes up at the the office. So for other than a select few, they appear to have made the correct decision for them. Until they are no longer able to be supplied by ETA, I do not see this changing.

It would seem to be only us nerds that have any real interest and that is apparently not enough where they feel the need to alter the current information process.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by MadJam250 »

And that's fine Kip, but this thread is asking if we would like to see the movement, specific to each serial number, annotated in the handbook? So far the poll is indicating that most who have voted would. This is of course is CWL's choice whether to do this or not, but if I was to contact them could they tell me what I have in my C60? I'm about to pay £600 for a new Vintage and I would like to know once it has been dispatched (I don't mind either, I would just prefer to know).
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Seiko SARB033
* Invicta 8924, 9094
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

^^Hasnt Kip answered that? CW have decided not to do that (clearly), and it seems they have no intention of changing.
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by MadJam250 »

sproughton wrote:^^Hasnt Kip answered that? CW have decided not to do that (clearly), and it seems they have no intention of changing.
No. Kip has stated why CW choses to say, in their marketing, that the watch in question will have either an ETA or a Selita movement. The poll is not about giving customers a choice, it's asking that once CWL has loaded the movement in to the watch can that specific movement not be annotated in the handbook to provide the owner with some additional, specific detail. Basically, as has been said throughout this thread, are records kept where each serial number is cross referenced with the specific movement used? Following AVOs analogy about ordering meat (see further above). Yes you have meat - what sort? Meat. Lamb or beef, etc? Meat.

Sometimes it's just nice to know the specifics (especially when big money is being shelled out). If CWL aren't prepared to annotate the handbook with such detail, so be it. But if I ring up and provide them with my serial number I would expect to know what movement my watch is utilising.
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Seiko SARB033
* Invicta 8924, 9094
downer

Post by downer »

sproughton wrote:^^Hasnt Kip answered that? CW have decided not to do that (clearly), and it seems they have no intention of changing.
Yes.

"to market this way" means to "communicate with the customers this way". Communication means advertising, phone contact, documentation... CW are consistent with the message.
Richard
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by MadJam250 »

downer wrote:
Yes.

"to market this way" means to "communicate with the customers this way". Communication means advertising, phone contact, documentation... CW are consistent with the message.
Sure. No denying that. But .. as the poll is asking .. the majority of voters in this poll don't mind which movements CWL use (as per the marketing and communication etc), they would just like to know which one is used in their own particular watch.

"I like the look of that meat pie. What's in it please?"

"Beef or lamb."

"Ok. Well, I like both, but can you tell me which one it is?"

"Beef or lamb."

"Um, no. I asked specifically what meat is in it, or is it a mixture of both?"

"Beef or lamb."

"So, it's one or the other then?"

"Yes."

"So, which one is in this particular pie?"

"Not sure. Beef or lamb."

Etc
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Seiko SARB033
* Invicta 8924, 9094
downer

Post by downer »

A better analogy would be.. "Is that beef from Farmer Smith's cows or Farmer Jones' cows?".
Richard
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

When your place the pie order you would be informed whether it was Lamb or Beef. If after you have eaten the pie you're sh*t, would have to be sent back to be analysed to sort out what was eaten.
Palstek
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Palstek »

Okay, so thanks to Kip we now know why CWL markets its ETA/Sellita watches this way.
Seemingly, since it is rare that people are actually asking CWL directly about the movement they are not going to change their policy.
So I think there is nothing more to be gained by this discussion, (apart maybe from hurt feelings) no?
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Palstek wrote:Okay, so thanks to Kip we now know why CWL markets its ETA/Sellita watches this way.
Seemingly, since it is rare that people are actually asking CWL directly about the movement they are not going to change their policy.
So I think there is nothing more to be gained by this discussion, (apart maybe from hurt feelings) no?
Words of wisdom! :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK