Downers Rules of Collecting

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Downers Rules of Collecting

Post by jimbo »

Downer Downer Downer..........you should know by now that my wife has a bite that makes a pit bull with it's testicles caught in in a nut cracker lined with extra hot chilli powder.....not to mention a rage that a bull elephant on finding his prize "bitch" being mounted by his worst enemy....etc...etc.....she makes under 10's cry just by looking at them....no make that under 40's........only yesterday a whole tree shred it's leaves cause she just walked past....it would rather look dead than have her yellowing blood shot eyes.....sorry eye glare at it....Medusa was nothing compared to what I have to endure......I must be a saint....and very foolish typing this out!!! :D :D
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
CTR_Paul
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by CTR_Paul »

Some interesting rules there Downers!

Mine are roughly as follows:

1.) Don't always listen to forums or everyone will end up with the same collection of watches Zzzz!
2.) Never pay full price. With the exception of some real high end stuff, everything from Rolex downwards can normally be had at a discounted cost.
3.) Always keep all the boxes and paperwork, provenance is key.
4.) Try not to buy too many watches of the same type or colour, a balanced collection is key to ensuring all watches get some wrist time.
5.) Don't be afraid to buy from smaller brands.
6.) Watches inherited should remain in the collection.
7.) You have too many watches when your wife complains about the number you have, not until though.
8.) Don't pay attention to anyone else's rules of collecting, it's your collection, you set the rules (apart from #7).

:D
Satt
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Satt »

Great post, will definitely help me in my journey of watch collecting.
"While hints of coconut, aromatic burnt sugar, fresh butter, milk chocolate, coffee-cream, chocolate bars, a slight whisky essence, vanilla milkshake fill the air, i sit here with a pleasing grin, admiring my Christopher Ward watch"

Satt
jayabharath
Junior
Junior

Post by jayabharath »

Great post. I need to keep this in my head 'watches don't make a good investment'
Ddavidsonmd
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Ddavidsonmd »

I am late to this thread but what a great read. I couldn't agree more. I have been through some of the phases described by the OP but my collecting has matured and am very different watch enthusiast now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by bruno »

Ddavidsonmd wrote:I am late to this thread but what a great read. I couldn't agree more. I have been through some of the phases described by the OP but my collecting has matured and am very different watch enthusiast now
Hi. What has changed exactly in out case ?
Ddavidsonmd
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Ddavidsonmd »

bruno wrote:
Ddavidsonmd wrote:I am late to this thread but what a great read. I couldn't agree more. I have been through some of the phases described by the OP but my collecting has matured and am very different watch enthusiast now
Hi. What has changed exactly in out case ?
Well, less is more. I now buy a $1000 watch rather than 2 $500 watches. I don't buy on impulse anymore but take my time before making a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by MadJam250 »

CTR_Paul wrote:Some interesting rules there Downers!

Mine are roughly as follows:

1.) Don't always listen to forums or everyone will end up with the same collection of watches Zzzz!
2.) Never pay full price. With the exception of some real high end stuff, everything from Rolex downwards can normally be had at a discounted cost.
3.) Always keep all the boxes and paperwork, provenance is key.
4.) Try not to buy too many watches of the same type or colour, a balanced collection is key to ensuring all watches get some wrist time.
5.) Don't be afraid to buy from smaller brands.
6.) Watches inherited should remain in the collection.
7.) You have too many watches when your wife complains about the number you have, not until though.
8.) Don't pay attention to anyone else's rules of collecting, it's your collection, you set the rules (apart from #7).

:D
i like this :-) :thumbup:
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Steinhart Titanium O1Ti500P
* Tissot Visodate heritage incoming
* Certina DS Podium chrono
* Seiko SARB033
* Smiths vintage mechanical WC4204/s
* Brathwait Classic Slim Steel
* Invicta 8924, 9094
Allysmith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Allysmith »

bruno wrote:
Kip wrote:1. More is not more.
I agree. As I said before, I've been collecting non-watch stuff for years and at the beginning we typically gather a large quantity of items and later we tend to let go most of them. I suppose that's a natural tendency in whatever collection it is.
More is More ... long brown menthol ciggys from the 70s ....... VERY Cinzanno Dahling
Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland
1 PGH 1
Junior
Junior

Post by 1 PGH 1 »

Some real nuggets here, particularly 4, 6 and 7 for me. Thanks for sharing.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

CTR_Paul wrote: Don't pay attention to anyone else's rules of collecting, it's your collection, you set the rules

This is the best advice imo. :thumbup:
Bernie
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Just read Downer's Rules for the first time; they've had number of mentions on the forum of late. That really is some sagely advice, contained within ten concise points. It would always be possible to add further additions to that list, but I think a lot of the key factors concerning watch buying and collecting are covered therein. If I was going to add a rule of my own, I think the following would be fairly valuable: If you are buying your watches to be worn rather than collected, you should always feel a sense of satisfaction and pleasure when putting on your watch. A sense that you have chosen well. If that feeling is absent, then your watch is probably merely treading water, it might be time to look for something that can leave you with that feeling.

And, of course, if you follow Downer's ten points, you will hopefully find that you don't have to consider the point I have just offered.

Once again...what a great thread.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
thomcat00
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
WDSub

Post by WDSub »

This is gold. Thanks
These users thanked the author WDSub for the post (total 2):
wookiechew23golfjunky