What watch (ward or otherwise) would you get if you had 3k?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Hughly 741
Junior
Junior

What watch (ward or otherwise) would you get if you had 3k?

Post by Hughly 741 »

What watch (ward or otherwise) would you get if you had 3k to spend? New or used doesn't matter.
Hughly 741
Junior
Junior

Re: What watch (ward or otherwise) would you get if you had

Post by Hughly 741 »

Personally, I am partial to the face of the Ward Trident with the in house movement, but I would prefer being able to see theovement.
Hughly 741
Junior
Junior

Post by Hughly 741 »

*see the movement
nburgess
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by nburgess »

Omega Speedmaster for me
Neil
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Blue Pelagos, or a used Rolex or a Speedmaster with the massive box :)
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

I think that's a really interesting price point to choose - for me one of the reasons I was attracted to CW was that the £3K mark only allows you to access the lower end of the likes of Omega and Rolex ( I know you can choose from a plethora of TAGs but they don't really do it for me). On the other hand, for a lot less than £3K you have a wide choice of CW products that, in my opinion, equal or better the bottom end of the expensive premium brands offerings.

That said, I am also in the Speedmaster camp - there is something iconic about that watch and if I could find a really nice second hand 'Snoopy' for £3K that's where my money would go. A friend of mine has one and I am very envious.

Failing that I think I would probably end up with 3 £1000 ish CWs to add to the Trident Pro, C20 and C4. But then I would probably also end up divorced!

I have been delighted with all three of my CWs and I think the £660 Trident stacks up pretty well against my Omega Speedmaster 2 Rio which is more than 6 x the price:

Its the first CW I bought specifically to spare the Omega from overuse and abuse - I work in construction and the Trident has proven itself very durable so far. It is also going to get a chance to prove its diver credentials in the not too distant future
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
lostguy
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by lostguy »

I haven't found any watch that I'd spend £3k on personally-- £3k isn't a lot of money but it comes down to value. I just don't think watches are worth that. I'm not buying in to the veblen economics of it all and the prestige behind luxury goods. This is a false economy. It's just a silly little story we tell ourselves in the first world when overspending and to ultimately look/feel good around our peers and society. I can understand a luxury car somewhat, which doesn't have a ridiculous mark-up and often has better design features and finish, but it's much harder to stomach with jewellery and watches because the gap in the fit, finish and quality of goods is far smaller (if anything, it's usually just the badge we're paying for). I've seen Rolexes around and have seen friends save up for many months to buy them, but I just don't get it? It's lost on me. Sure they are better, but not 20 times better.

I like CWL watches. They are reasonably priced and they offer a quality product. I don't want to be part of the gentleman's club...
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Used Rolex Submariner (would have to haggle to get it down to that price, though).
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Maybe an IWC spitfire UTC or a tudor big block chronograph but we're talking more 2.5k at most there.
theaub wrote:Used Rolex Submariner (would have to haggle to get it down to that price, though).
Could just buy at auction. May be a little battered but an offical service will sort that out later. 2k is all I've ever needed to spend, there's no real need to go above that unless to chase silly sums such as PP, VC etc.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by james80 »

Like theaub I'd be on the look out for a used preferably serviced no date sub, if couldn't find a suitable sub in budget then either an Explorer or white Explorer II again used.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

Vintage Tudor snowflake or a pelagos.
the "g" is for Greg...
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

There are tons of great watches in the £3k ballpark (although I'm not sure if the original question was about $3k?)...

Depending on other watches already owned or the requirements for a new watch, I'd choose one of these:

Nomos Weltzeit
Tudor Pelagos
Omega Aqua Terra
Richard
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

I did reach the USD 3k mark recently after a string of sales. I always though I would get a Pelagos for that money, but I just couldn't do it (maybe next year). Well, I thought why get one 500m watch when I can get two 1000m ones for the same money :lol:
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

My first 3K went to a Speedmaster. My next 3k will likely be spent on a 36mm Explorer. I was hoping to do it this year, for my 45th birthday, but with the Canadian dollar at $1.30 against the US dollar, and just as weak against the Pound and Euro, my money will likely stay in the bank for a while.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

blowfish89 wrote:I did reach the USD 3k mark recently after a string of sales. I always though I would get a Pelagos for that money, but I just couldn't do it (maybe next year). Well, I thought why get one 500m watch when I can get two 1000m ones for the same money :lol:
Why buy a porche when you could buy two chevies?
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.