LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Questions for "Chat with Chris" - 2014

Post by Kip »

"Chat with Chris" format and details posted here.

Post your questions for the "Chat with Chris" here.

I will be asking the top 10 questions and/or the ones of interest to most. If a question is posted that you want asked simply quote and add +1 or +2 etc...

Please have your questions posted by August 10th.

Please limit this area to questions only. No discussions please.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Questions for "Chat with Chris" - 2014

Post by welshlad »

Some initial questions from me:

1) You have said that the next SH21 development will be a chronograph. When do you expect this to launch and do you have any details regarding the spec, e.g. case size, overall design theme, colours, etc?

2) The C9 5-Day is a lovely looking watch, but seems to be let down by it being too large for a dress watch and having a crystal with too much distortion and glare, making the hands hard to read. These are criticisms that have existed with previous C9 models too. So, is this something that CWL is going to address or is this just part of the overall CWL design aesthetic now?

3) Do you plan to introduce a smaller (e.g. 38/39mm) version of the C65, as it wears much larger than the C60? And do you have any plans for any other colours, e.g. blue?

4) Do you plan to release a gold-cased version of the C5 Slimline?

5) Any plans for any more watches smaller than 40mm (following the success of the C61)?

6) What will be the likely ballpark price premium for existing models that adopt the SH21 down the line, e.g. if the C60 became available with the SH21 built in?

7) The last magazine hinted at a Moonphase watch in development. Any update on this?

That'll do for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

And a few from me:
1) Is there going to be a 40mm version of the SH21 c9 5-day cosc?
2) Are there plans on re-releasing the C1 Russell as mechanical using the SH21 40mm version?
3) Should I expect that CWL watches will be in the 4 figure price range as we move forward?
4) How about an open heart? (is that what having an open hole on the dial so you can see balance wheel is called?)
5) Will there be 2014 FLE?

Thanks!
Jon
piratelife
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by piratelife »

Being new to CWL there might be a model that I am unaware of, if so, please ignore this.
1.I really like the looks of brass and bronze cases and the uniqueness of each piece as it ages. Would this be something that You would consider in the future.
2. I read that you started learning with pocket watches. Any chance of producing one as a limited edition?
Cheers,
Clint

C10 2013 FLE
C5A MKII
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gatehealing wrote: Are there plans on re-releasing the C1 Russell as mechanical using the SH21 40mm version?
+1
welshlad wrote: You have said that the next SH21 development will be a chronograph. When do you expect this to launch and do you have any details regarding the spec, e.g. case size, overall design theme,

Do you plan to release a gold-cased version of the C5 Slimline?

Any plans for any more watches smaller than 40mm

The last magazine hinted at a Moonphase watch in development. Any update on this?
+1 To these questions as well.

Plus a couple from me:

Will you be looking to expand the range of hand wound watches? I guess that ties in to some extent with some of the questions above.

Do you see a point where the "premium" complications such as the jumping hour and the world timer will filter down into a smaller size, or will these remain exclusively within the C9 range? Which sort of follows on from Steve's question about the smaller watches.

Thanks in advance to Chris (and no doubt Wera and Fraser) for giving us their time, and thanks to Kip for setting it up.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

Now that CWL has merged with SH, the manufacturer of CW watches to date, will you have more control over quality? Will you be introducing more rigorous pre-dispatch quality control procedures?

Any plans for another 'Bluebird' model, but mechanical or hand wound?

When the new SH21 equipped watches require servicing, will they need to go to Switzerland or are there any plans to open a UK or US service centre?

Would you consider offering a 'mix and match' bezel/dial colour option for the hugely popular C60 series?
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

+1 on the C1 question.

+1 on the smaller faced versions.
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

I would echo similar to what some others have said in that the 43mm C9 case is too big for a dress watch. Are we going to see one of CWs in-house movements in a smaller dress watch case?
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

theaub wrote:+1 on the C1 question.

+1 on the smaller faced versions.

Yes, same here.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Mark78 »

+1 on smaller cases, more specifically any plans for C61 variants e.g. GMT? Bezel swap option would be awesome.

Can you expand on the 'Rolex of the internet' comment attributed to MF? What does this mean in your eyes? Who do you view as CW's direct competitors now? Where do you see CW in 5 years time?

Will the new movement remain in limited production or is the idea to upscale and reduce the cost over time?

The forum has been taken 'in house' but we are yet to see any changes - is anything in the pipeline? How do you see the forum in terms of its role within CWL Holdings?
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by andyg »

Just this one.

Why the focus on the C9 case? It is clearly the most criticised design on the forum.
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

andyg wrote:Just this one.

Why the focus on the C9 case? It is clearly the most criticised design on the forum.
Blah, blah watchmaker's playground blah, blah.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I see a certain consensus here, albeit within a very small cadre. Speaking from experience, we need to be careful of falling into the twin conceit that:

A. We should like everything that the company makes.

B. They should only make things we like.

Aside from the "playground of watchmaking" quote, I think Chris has also pointed out that while the forum may know what it likes, it doesn't always know what sells. So, for example, although I would love to see a hand wound version of the C1, I wouldn't expect to see it if the powers that be regarded as a potential loser in the great wide world. Mind you, the plethora of women's watches in repeated sales at huge discounts would seem to indicate that they haven't always judged the market perfectly.

And now I shall sit back and stop stirring it. I have three CW watches that I like very much, and I'm happy to wait and see what comes next. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
The Laird
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by The Laird »

Hi, :D

Please, please, please, would it be possible to have much more traditionally sized watch cases? 34mm/36mm

And also other new sports watches in 38mm/40mm cases.

Basically, smaller cases, please. (But perhaps they don’t sell very well any more???)

Till next time…

The Laird :D
MAD AS A BOX OF FROGS!!!
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

All Welshlads.

You need to stop producing these 43mm watches and take a lead on smaller cases with the new movement. When will we see these models appear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk