just wondered peoples general opinions...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jayb1907
Senior
Senior

just wondered peoples general opinions...

Post by jayb1907 »

I know there is going to be some different opinions here with this one, but I just wondered peoples general thoughts on big name..branded watches ie omega, tag, Rolex, ulysse nardin, are they really 'worthy' of the price tag?? Really?? I mean I know they will be quality but are they that much better quality than the watches we love here that cwl provide us with. I mean to try and explain, the price tag for a cwl can range between a couple hundred and 1500 ish..that's fine. But withe the names above...say ranging from 1500 and upwards. Are they that much better, really? Or are we, would we be paying for the name, advertising, celebrities, endorsements etc. Just wondered what peoples thoughts were.
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: just wondered peoples general opinions...

Post by reggie747 »

Oh man, I can just make out the shape in the distance.........yeah, it is, it's a...........can of worms !! :D
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

If you just want a watch, then £10 should cover it. :silent:
Need to define Worth, and Value. :problem: :problem:

In coming......... oh, its that can of worms :lol:
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

who can decide if a bentley is worth what it would cost? a rembrandt? should you get a BMW if a hundai will get you where you're going? do you really need a nice suit or should you just buy one at the thrift store? i'm sure your wife would be fine with a tin circle ring to celebrate your engagement/wedding. no need for a diamond or gold/platinum.

nobody can decide if it's worth it to you but you. other peoples' justifications are just that, their own justifications.
the "g" is for Greg...
jayb1907
Senior
Senior

Post by jayb1907 »

:D ha knew it would spark some controversy. What getting at is there is a cost and a price for certain things and a value that goes with it. I'm just wondering if the expense is warranted in this case with watches. Is there that many extra man hours going into them? Is the extra really going anywhere, because for one of them above you can buy several cwl and build quite a collection.
Gherky
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Gherky »

I suppose it depends on if it is worth it to you.

I was looking for a Tag Heuer and liked one at £2300 but didn't want to spend that much on a watch even though I do like nice things in life.

Whilst checking out watches on line I came across CW and bought at C60 Trident. Having felt the quality of the Tag and also the C60 for me the Tag is too expensive and not worth it, the C60 is worth every penny. Personally I think the C60 looks far better.

I think it best to say at this point that I don't work for CW :lol:

I honestly think the quality you get from CW (and this is based on 1 watch only) is great for my needs
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

jayb1907 wrote:there is a cost and a price for certain things
yes...
jayb1907 wrote:and a value that goes with it
yes, BUT - not something you can easily define - it varies from person to person... and is made up of so many things it becomes very difficult to fully break it down...

on a non-emotive / factual level then you can base it purely on cost to produce the item = value and it is then a simple formulaic process based on cost v. profit v. etc.

but watches are an emotive area of discussion - if the only memory you have of your father was that he wore a Rolex, then the value to you of his Rolex / a Rolex might be considerably more than for someone else... if you have an income in the millioins each year, your value judgement will sit on a different scale to someone well off but in a more normal league / someone who struggles to buy food for the family...

I am not likely to spend 'serious' money on a watch but then I have bought a C900 and quite a few others - total spend would equal a 'serious' watch or two so my boundary will be different to some others on here - and again there will be others (maybe not on here) who the recent Platinum Patek which went for 1.5million would be on their radar...

maybe more on what you are thinking of though - value for money, the CWL range I think is better value for money than a rolex - but others may not

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Well, I make no secret of the fact that I'm a big time Omega fan, currently owing 9 Omegas. Having said that I'm also a big fan of CW watches as well - I presently own 4, but I've purchased at least another 6 for family members, primarily because they are such good value for the money.

There you have it: the heart says Omega but the wallet says CW... :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

Companies like Rolex and Omega continue to make healthy profits in a tough economic climate and when their core (only) product has a shrinking market (the proportion of people, especially youngsters, wearing watches is smaller now).

Their market audience must think they are offering acceptable value for money ......

Personally my collection contains more Omegas than CWs, but that is not entirely down to my VFM perception :D
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Essentially an object, including a watch is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Successful watchmakers invest huge sums developing and promoting their brand because they know that it is brand reputation which sells their watches. Rolex sells more than 1,000,000 watches a year.....!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

If you have a Rolex then 99.9% chance that you would think it worths the asking price, if you don't then no, it doesnt. You only make a purchase when you consider it a good choice at the right price. So it is not a question anyboby else have the answer to but youself. If you like it and you bought it then yes it worths it, no matter if the watch is 500 or 5000 dollars cheap.

I do wonder sometimes if I just recover from coma, innocent to any social media and advertising for the past 30 years, and was presented with a rolex and a seiko to choose from, what would be my choice?
Incoming: 0
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

The value is only what the individual values it at isn't it. I know of people (even people who have objectively good incomes) who think you are mad for spending (even what many on here would consider fairly moderate amounts) on watches. Most are attracted the history, legacy and iconic-ness (not sure if that is even a word!) of a particular watch/brand. Of course this isn't unique to watches, it applies to nearly all luxury items. Charging a higher price makes the purchaser feel more special and 'value' the item higher therefore creating a circular effect.

Personally I'm happy with my litte four watch rotation (total worth not even half that of a new Rolex). Can't see myself ever owning a watch from one of the 'big boys'. Mainly due to the fact that I would no doubt obsess over not damaging it, drive myself crazy if/when marks/scratches appear etc, only wear it on certain days/occasions. I wouldn't wear it to work so the price-wearability/value ratio wouldn't be high enough for me.

To Rolex owners - does the mugging/theft issue worry you at all? It would me!
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

As well as paying for the brand name, advertising, etc, there are some "real" things that you pay for on higher-end watches - which might include the movement, the case materials and so on. The more knowledgeable people on here can explain more.
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

atnits wrote:As well as paying for the brand name, advertising, etc, there are some "real" things that you pay for on higher-end watches - which might include the movement, the case materials and so on. The more knowledgeable people on here can explain more.
Oh yes, I know that is the case. However put Seiko, Citizen or Tissot logo on a Rolex watch - how many Rolex customers would still purchase it for the movement, case materials etc?
Dr Feelgood
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by Dr Feelgood »

JamesH wrote: To Rolex owners - does the mugging/theft issue worry you at all? It would me!
Perhaps c£4k would have been better invested in attending self defence/MA classes over the years.... :lol: