CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Watch brands that prove you're into watches

Post by albionphoto »

I watched this video. He lists:
Orient, Vostok, Sinn, Doxa, Seiko, Nomos, Marathon, Oris, Glashutte Original, Grand Seiko, Vacheron Constantin, RGM and Zenith.
As I only have an Oris I guess I'm not a watch enthusiast. :D :D :D

Phew. I'm so relieved to learn that I'm not a watch enthusiast.

To add some clarity Teddy B. is an official dealer for:
Orient, Nomos, Marathon, Oris and Zenith.

Caveat viewer.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

albionphoto wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:02 pm To add some clarity Teddy B. is an official dealer for:
Orient, Nomos, Marathon, Oris and Zenith.

Caveat viewer.
Normally, I like this guy’s videos, but I was dismissive of this one when I saw Orient listed. Now I understand it’s inclusion.
Drew
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

To be fair to the guy, I think the point of the video was to discuss brands which, when you see them on the wrist of another guy, lead you to assume they like watches rather than are wearing something they purchased randomly in a shop. I don’t think he means to say that to be a watch enthusiast you need to own watches by those brands necessarily.

That said, his videos do get a bit samey as he constantly mentions the same dozen or so brands for which he’s an AD. I prefer someone like The Urban Gentry who is just an enthusiast and doesn’t have any skin in the game.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Well I thought it was a reasonable list, until he mentioned Seiko and Oris.

Yes there are plenty of watch enthusiasts that have Seiko watches, but there are many more with no interest in watches that have a Seiko. Ditto Oris.

You may be a watch enthusiast if you wear the likes of Omega, Rolex or further again up the food chain, AP/PP. However there are no doubt as many, if not more, non watch enthusiasts who wear those brands.

The only non watch enthusiasts that I know who own a Nomos are my youngest daughter and her husband.

That said I have zero interest in at least half the brands he mentioned.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I watched it too and found it and him annoying. He has this machine gun-type delivery that really grates. No watch brand proves that you're in to watches. It's the person wearing the watch that proves whether they're in to watches, irrespective of brand, heritage or price. Really couldn't be simpler.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 am I watched it too and found it and him annoying. He has this machine gun-type delivery that really grates. No watch brand proves that you're in to watches. It's the person wearing the watch that proves whether they're in to watches, irrespective of brand, heritage or price. Really couldn't be simpler.

Des
How true. If I had his delivery style and his taste in watches (with a couple of notable exceptions) I would be applying to the NHS for a personality transplant.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Maybe if you wear a christopher ward it proves you are into watches? You would have had to seek them out as not available on the high street and no AD's and would not be worn as a status symbol either like certain brands.
Personally I like the guy and subscribe to his channel.
Cheers now, Paul
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I thought it was a fair attempt at discussing around the subject of what a watch enthusiast might look for.
Not sure it matters what his selections were, and I would argue a different set for the most part, but fair enough.
If a bunch of regular forum-ties were to propose their idea of say 5 brands that said "watch enthusiast" it would be a varied list! We could all probably agree on Christopher Ward though :)
Yes there were a good selection of the brands that Teddy carries but I think that has a lot to do with why he carries those brands - for the greater part they are not typical High Street. At the least he is straight-up about being in the business of making a buck with his passion - everybody has to do that.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.