A place to discuss other watch-brands
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

New Watch 20 ATM - Melbourne Watch Company

Post by EcosseOz »

Hi Forumites

As someone on the mailing list for the Melbourne Watch company, they have a new release retro divers (ATM20 - Miyota 9015 Automatic) limited to 25 in each colour (4). https://www.melbournewatch.com.au/collections/chelsea

Its somewhat bizarrely discounted A$200 to A$595 on release and with code EXTRA10 (until 26May) its A$535.50 with free worldwide shipping.

IMHO opinion its alot of watch for the money. Very similar to CW in its early days.

I'm currently deciding if I truly need another watch, as I tend to wear the majority of my timepieces once/twice a year. Mostly the same watch months on end.

Just thought I'd make the forum aware.

Cheers.
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: New Watch 20 ATM - Melbourne Watch Company

Post by StrapMeister »

The Melbourne Watch Company has been on the radar for sometime now especially after the article that Josh did sometime ago
( :shock: crikey! some 7 1/2 years ago)
https://www.watchitallabout.com/an-intr ... h-company/
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The blue is quite nice and I do like the bezel. But at the end of the day it’s yet another dive watch and it’s a bit generic.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Gar787
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:17 pm ...But at the end of the day it’s yet another dive watch and it’s a bit generic.
Very true. I sometimes think this can be both a blessing and a curse. For some, a quality watch with generic looks might be just want they want. If the formula works, why tinker with it? If I was looking for something completely unassuming and non-attention grabbing, this might be it.

With some of these microbrands, in the quest to do something original or unique, it comes of to me looking different for the sake of being different. It’s a bit of a catch-22 really, stray from the formula and it may look funny. Stick the the formula and it looks, well, formulaic.

With this particular watch, it’s tapping into too different formulas - the sapphire bezel (which I quite like) reads Fifty Fathoms, while the dial face reads Submariner with generic hands thrown in. It’s mixed metaphors, so to speak.

Not saying I don’t like it, mind you. I do.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I've had a look at some of the Melbourne range a couple of years ago as Page & Cooper were an AD for them.

Overall, not expensive and decent quality / style for the price. I just never actually got around to buying one.

The Chelsea now on offer is quite attractive, and not bad value at the promotional price of A$535.50, which equates to c. £293.00, plus 20% VAT on import into UK.

Could I live with a 40mm dive watch and, more importantly, do I need another dive watch? :-k :-k

Guy

PS> I've seen this promotional price on release tactic before, last time with Panzera (another Australian brand).
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

That's pretty but does look like a Spinnaker model, and more costly.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I think that could be the worst name for a dive watch ever. I see a football club, a bun...even a flower show. Other than the fact it's a two syllable word with the second syllable being 'sea', I'm stumped by its selection. Apologies if I've missed something. :thumbdown:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I think that could be the worst name for a dive watch ever. I see a football club, a bun...even a flower show. Other than the fact it's a two syllable word with the second syllable being 'sea', I'm stumped by its selection. Apologies if I've missed something.
Chelsea is (as well as the above) a suburb of ... Melbourne.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
strapline
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ And it has a popular tractor movement.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I've been tempted by Melbourne watches in the past, I'm glad to see that they overcame the Co-vid challenges,
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi