Arrived - Unusual Speedy

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Unexpected incoming

Post by Soporsche »

Thanks Steve, I'm quite a fan of white/pale dials and this fits that brief. Its actually a cream colour in real life despite often being referred to as a Bianco or Albino.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Incoming - Unusual Speedy

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

That looks rather lovely, Stephen. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Unusual?

Well,I have no idea which specific model it is but I do notice, I think, that it doesn't appear to have the usual crown/pusher guard seen on the Moonwatch. Does this mean it is a vintage speedy pre-dating the Moonwatch?

Top notch all round, either way. :clap: :clap:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Very nice, is that the Italian 40th anniversary one?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s a real beauty! Congratulations.
Drew
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

In all honesty its an unusual one, its actually a 3872.50.31 which was supplied new in Germany from an AD with the Italian Bianco (Albino) 40th Anniversary dial and hands fitted from new.
The 3872.50.31 differs in that it has a Hesalite front and sapphire back (replaced by the so called sapphire sandwich in 2003/4). Some purists feel this is the arrangement the original 40th Anniversary should have had anyway instead of sapphire front and back. It has the Rhodium plated movement.
The 3872.50.31 (standard black dial) is unusual but I wouldn't class it as super rare and not an LE, there aren't many for sale.
A few standard speedy pro's have subsequently been aftermarket converted with the Italian white (cream) dial, this one is unusual as it seems it came like this.
In short, I wouldn't ever claim it to be one of the original Anniversary models but its also not an aftermarket conversion, somewhere in between (either the AD received it with standard black dial and did the replacement or it was a special order, I suspect the former).
I always fancied a Mitsukoshi or Italian Speedy but prices have gone crazy in recent years. Whilst this wasn't what I would call cheap by any means, its was more attainable than the 40th, but preferable (to me) to a backstreet or home conversion, though some will have been done well by Omega qualified watchmakers. Mine also benefits from original paperwork, boxes, cards, speedy tool etc :D .
Stephen

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Is this described in the speedmaster professional reference book?. I have the book and will look it up if anyone is particularly interested.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Brilliant pick up Stephen! :thumbup: :clap:

I always had one of those in mind as the white/cream dial version in the Speedmaster collection that I had previously intended to put together.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

JAFO wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:55 pm Is this described in the speedmaster professional reference book?. I have the book and will look it up if anyone is particularly interested.
Thanks JAFO, the 40th Anniversary Italian market has the reference 3893.20, my one is 3872.50 and will only come up with the usual black dial as it was most likely a mod by the German AD.
Stephen

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

nbg wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:03 pm Brilliant pick up Stephen! :thumbup: :clap:

I always had one of those in mind as the white/cream dial version in the Speedmaster collection that I had previously intended to put together.

Neil
Thanks Neil, it is rather nice. The original 40th LE is 20k+ territory now so this will meet my needs quite satisfactorily 😉
Stephen

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The Italian reference is listed as speedmaster 40th anniversary, 1997, 500 watches, for Italy. Reference st145.0828 , or 3893.20 on leather. P426/427 of the moonwatch only book.

The dial is a match for your watch. It says it should be numbered X of 500 on the back, so your case may be different. The wording on the case back is just "speedmaster professional" and "limited edition", but the font for the word speedmaster is solid, the same as for professional, so different to the partial picture you uploaded.

The only case back with the font you have for speedmaster is listed as ST145/0808 or maybe ST345/0808 with PIC refs 3592.50 or 3572.50. I can't find a reference to a 3872. It's all new to me, so I may be missing stuff.

Here's a pic of the caseback reference
IMG_20210515_150453983~2.jpg

Original wide black leather box. Says it's unusual in having a sapphire crystal. One of first with luminova. I would post pics of all the info, but I don't want to infringe copyright.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Quite like that! Very nice addition
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

JAFO wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:43 pm The Italian reference is listed as speedmaster 40th anniversary, 1997, 500 watches, for Italy. Reference st145.0828 , or 3893.20 on leather. P426/427 of the moonwatch only book.
Thanks for that JAFO, heres the pic of back of my actual reference from Omega website.
Screenshot_20210515-162600_Chrome.jpg
Stephen

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I see. That omega reference has the crown guards, doesn't it, unlike yours. The pale dial on yours looks great with those hands as well.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Ah, you are the second person to mention that, I've just realised its the angle of my 1st. photo which was partially from the left to try and avoid reflection. Heres the 2 backs together which hopefully clarifies:
Screenshot_20210515-162600_Chrome.jpg
20210515_170222.jpg
Stephen

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^^
I was just repeating the observation that @Bahnstormer_Vrs had made. It did look like there was no crown protector bulge, though.:D