'Old Girlfriends' Pieced together my early watches from the Internet...

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

'Old Girlfriends' Pieced together my early watches from the Internet...

Post by artphotodude »

While only one of these is still in my collection (Russian Chrono near Bottom-Right), as a fun waste of time, scoured the internet and found pictures of each watch I've ever owned, going back to my first Timex Marlin in the mid 1980s.

Three I wish I still had :( : Belair SeaPearl 600 diver (Upper-Right Corner), Square Caravelle in Center, and black-faced, rectangular, white-gold Elgin near the Bottom-Left.
Most of the cool vintage pieces were purchased at local jewelry stores where repairs were never picked-up and so both the Gubelin moon-phase and Omega Seamaster were under $100 each (Boy those were the days!).

A special note: The rose-gold Bulova in the Bottom-Right wasn't in the collection too long. I was in a local thrift-shop where they have bags of costume jewelry hanging near check-out, and a curious shape (those round case features) caught my eye.
That watch, in running condition cost me all of 25₵ + tax, and was resold for $600 within a week! :D
Attachments
'Old Girlfriends'.png
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: 'Old Girlfriends' Pieced together my early watches from the Internet...

Post by H0rati0 »

artphotodude wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:07 pm The rose-gold Bulova in the Bottom-Right wasn't in the collection too long. I was in a local thrift-shop where they have bags of costume jewelry hanging near check-out, and a curious shape (those round case features) caught my eye.
That watch, in running condition cost me all of 25₵ + tax, and was resold for $600 within a week! :D
That was well spotted!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
biglove
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by biglove »

^^^^Nicely done.

No pictures but I can name all the watches I owned prior to eight years ago.

From 1985-2013:
Seiko Two tone Classic
Rolex two tone DJ with gold dial w/ diamond hour markers
Rolex two tone DJ with grey tapestry dial
Seiko quartz diver model with Pepsi bezel
Seiko 5 Salmon dial SNXA11
Luminox Navy Seal Titanium
Of those, I wish I still had them all. But alas, I was an idiot.

Since 2013 the list is 267 watches. Of those all but 13 have been sold/gifted or are up for sale now. Oh, and one Ball in the shop.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance or conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

That probably took some work. Thanks for posting.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Some interesting pieces there. I do like that Gübelin Triple Date Moonphase.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

biglove wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm ^^^^Nicely done.

Since 2013 the list is 267 watches. Of those all but 13 have been sold/gifted or are up for sale now. Oh, and one Ball in the shop.
The ones that "Got away" are just as much a part of your story as the ones you kept!
That Gruen Curvex near the top on my post was probably the most uncomfortable watch I've ever worn (the angle really has to match your wrist), but it was a lifelong dream of one of my fav. highschool teachers to have one, and so it too was a rewarding part of the story (doubled my money on it - originally bought for $75 and he also got a great deal buying from me for $150).
biglove
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by biglove »

artphotodude wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:40 pm
biglove wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm ^^^^Nicely done.

The ones that "Got away" are just as much a part of your story as the ones you kept!
Nicely said. Like that
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance or conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Following a comment in my last SOTC I made some compilation images of the “old girlfriends” that were sold in 2020 that I thought may be appropriate to the thread. Yeah... there are always going to be one or three that you regret selling, but in most cases I’m fine with it.

I enjoyed them; they lived the high life swanning around in one of my plush watch boxes, hardly having to do anything in return for the loving care lavished on them... then one day it was simply... over. I moved on to other watches; they in turn gave their all to a new and possibly more demanding owner.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

gaf1958 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am Following a comment in my last SOTC I made some compilation images of the “old girlfriends” that were sold in 2020 that I thought may be appropriate to the thread. Yeah... there are always going to be one or three that you regret selling, but in most cases I’m fine with it.

I enjoyed them; they lived the high life swanning around in one of my plush watch boxes, hardly having to do anything in return for the loving care lavished on them... then one day it was simply... over. I moved on to other watches; they in turn gave their all to a new and possibly more demanding owner.
WOW! :shock:
This is spectacular. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

gaf1958 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am Following a comment in my last SOTC I made some compilation images of the “old girlfriends”.....

In watch relationship terms you are a cad and a bounder Gary, next you will be telling us you drive Jaguar too...😅🤣😂
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Soporsche wrote:In watch relationship terms you are a cad and a bounder Gary, next you will be telling us you drive Jaguar too...ImageImageImage
Nope. To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, I’m not an art thief, so I don’t drive a Jag. I make do with a Macan.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

gaf1958 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 am
Soporsche wrote:In watch relationship terms you are a cad and a bounder Gary, next you will be telling us you drive Jaguar too...ImageImageImage
Nope. To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, I’m not an art thief, so I don’t drive a Jag. I make do with a Macan.
😀😁😆
As something of a car nut, I wouldnt have put "Macan" and "make do" in the same sentence.. I do quite like Jags though so maybe I should change profession.
Apologies to OP, off topic!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands