A place to discuss other watch-brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Longines silver arrow

Post by missF »

https://timeandtidewatches.com/introduc ... ver-arrow/

Just read this review of the new (well, it’s another re-do of a past model) Longines Silver Arrow

D461A472-C72C-4DCA-BECD-DACEF267AAF7.jpeg
I think it’s a beautiful watch that stands out in its class. I think it epitomises Longines elegance. I think (though I have no figures to back this up) that the bezel is slightly wider than you often see on similar watches, giving it a sense of robustness and groundedness as well as grace.

There are lots of divers on this site, so i’m Commending this to you as something of a diversion! I’d be interested in your thoughts.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Longines silver arrow

Post by missF »

FCE96ABD-D0BA-4215-9C87-3D44239CDF02.jpeg
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:16 pm https://timeandtidewatches.com/introduc ... ver-arrow/

Just read this review of the new (well, it’s another re-do of a past model) Longines Silver Arrow

D461A472-C72C-4DCA-BECD-DACEF267AAF7.jpeg

I think it’s a beautiful watch that stands out in its class. I think it epitomises Longines elegance. I think (though I have no figures to back this up) that the bezel is slightly wider than you often see on similar watches, giving it a sense of robustness and groundedness as well as grace.

There are lots of divers on this site, so i’m Commending this to you as something of a diversion! I’d be interested in your thoughts.
I read (and almost linked to) that same article yesterday and thought almost the exact same things. It’s a lovely watch with some intriguing details (the hour batons for example!).

You know what’s funny? My initial thought when I see a watch brand doing reissues of one sort or another from their history is that why the lack of creativity when designing watches? But when you see these lovely pieces, it makes total sense. Why not issue updated versions of what were, and still are, excellent designs?!
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I like the looks but it does have a couple of drawbacks.

30m water resistance. I think it could have easily been bumped to 100m with no compromise to the design. I can understand wanting to remain true to the original design but if you are going to modernize it WR is one place where that could happen. Doesn't need a screw down crown or anything but just a little more piece of mind.

19mm lug width. Doesn't really bother me but will turn a lot of people off. I think that it looks spot on in proportion though so I would personally let it slide.

The esthetics remind of early Rolex OPs (from the 50s or so). Looks great. Awesome size too. I am an easy mark for vintage though. :problem:

At $2100 US a nice aggressive price point too.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at Longines and that is really to my detriment. There is a lot to like in that Heritage collection.
longines-heritage-l4-795-4-78-2-2000x2000.png
I am seeing these on Chrono24 for $1200 all day long. It has an older movement than the Silver Arrow but the same classic look. If I was going to get a dress watch both of the Longines would be very high on the list.

I am a creature of habit. Both watches remind me a little of my classic Seiko 5.
20200918_152838556_iOS (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I like that; simple and elegant. I'm learning a lot about Longines of late: their heritage and back catalogue. Being a part of the Swatch group they have access to premium ETA movements, some of which are made to an individual watche's spec making them pretty much IH movements. Their finishing and detailing is often superb, above their price point, with this being a good case in point.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

A good 'un for sure. There's been so many watches over so many years it is hard to come up with something that is really NEW.
So when you have a back catalogue as rich as Longines, it's a good place to go, and generally they've done a pretty good job of it.

That said: my 2 faves from their Heritage Collection have deal-breakers for me which is frustrating.
The 1945 - gorgeous watch which is too big and long of lug for my skinny wrist.
The Classic "sector dial" with the crosshair line that runs through the Longines branding and does my head in.
There's a couple in their Master Collection which have my attention though...
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Noush wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:36 pm So when you have a back catalogue as rich as Longines, it's a good place to go, and generally they've done a pretty good job of it.
We’ll always have Paris, Ilse, and the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Noush wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:36 pm ...
The Classic "sector dial" with the crosshair line that runs through the Longines branding and does my head in.

Argh! it slices down the edge of the G - they could’ve at least put it between characters. I’ve rather liked this watch but now I can’t un-see this #-o
Tim
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:21 pm
Noush wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:36 pm So when you have a back catalogue as rich as Longines, it's a good place to go, and generally they've done a pretty good job of it.
We’ll always have Paris, Ilse, and the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Nice! Half the appeal of Longines for me is the connection to Bogart.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

timor54 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:53 pm

Argh! it slices down the edge of the G - they could’ve at least put it between characters. I’ve rather liked this watch but now I can’t un-see this #-o
They should consider moving the name to 9 o’clock to address that issue.

I’ll get my coat. :escape:
Drew
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

timor54 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:53 pm

Not to mention the chomped 6 turning it into a rather pointless o
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Yes, Longines generally does a pretty good job with these Heritage pieces and missF's example is on the money.
Sorry if you've been a bit hijacked with this one but I think a discussion of the line is interesting.

I think they got a couple of things wrong with the Sector and it's all in the details.
1. Interupt the vertical cross-hair and let the logo pass through "unscathed". A space about the same as between the letters would be about right.
2. Longines doesn't mind a bit of number-chomping but a simple marker line would be much better. Hey, a 3-6-9 works...
3. The hour hand should stop at the sector line, not cross it. You'd have to do the same with the small seconds then.
4. The lugs are a bit long, just a bit.

It's OK Longines, I have a different one in my own crosshairs :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Noush wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 am
1. Interupt the vertical cross-hair and let the logo pass through "unscathed". A space about the same as between the letters would be about right.
I agree, though I’ve read people talking about ‘cutting the crosshairs’ as if it’s a mortal sin :lol:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

While we’re talking about all things Longines, here’s my one dislike of the whole package - the brand marketing focus on ‘elegance’ above everything else, including it seems, substance. The way they ooze on the website about their brand ambassadors, chosen simply for being ‘elegant’..... did my head in when I read it!! Seems vacuous and totally uninteresting to me. And probably patronising to many of their ambassadors who may have rich fulfilling lives beyond their manicures and well-cut clothes. Is it supposed to be aspirational? Well I aspire to be more than just a surface trapping with an elegant watch....

There - I said it
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00