Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: 2021 Omega Speedmaster Master Chronometer

Post by Mikkei4 »

jtc wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:45 pm
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watc ... al/product

Hacking seconds, new applied logo, bracelet, hesalite/sapphire sandwich, 90 dot and more ...

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-spee ... irst-look/

https://www.professionalwatches.com/the ... -expected/

and more .....Money !

In late 2018 a brand new Hesalite Speedy was priced at around £3250 and could be purchased with a discount of around £400 making a Speedy an achievable grail purchase for many.
Maybe not so now.
JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

It seems more watch for more money, but I thought much of the perennial and oldie worldie charm of the moornwatch WAS the no change, no date, no hacking, not particularly accurate "features".

At some time in the future, maybe now, it will have changed to a point where saying "the watch that went to the moon" is no longer accurate.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by nbg »

I think that overall the watch has been improved in a number of areas. :thumbup:

However Omega need to take a lesson from brands that make significant improvements to a core model, without ramping the RRP significantly. :problem:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
willttqs
Guru
Guru

Post by willttqs »

I personally see that the previous edition of the speedmaster was perhaps underpriced when you consider the rest of the Omega pricing strategy. To think that the speedmaster pro with big box and various nato straps was £3,400 3 or 4 years ago and even in 2020 was just a fraction over £4,000 it simply did not fit into the model of pricing, so an improved co-axial movement has given it scope to increase the price.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I don’t see what the issue is - if something has been updated to include improvements surely that warrants an increase in price?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

TigerChris wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:58 pm
I don’t see what the issue is - if something has been updated to include improvements surely that warrants an increase in price?
No issue from me, just a comment on how the price may now take it out of some people's view, despite the technical improvements of movement, anti-magnetic ability and bracelet changes.
JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

I think the overall omega pricing strategy was the thing. It's hard for them to have their "premium" product (well, marketed as premium) being priced well below other stuff.

It seems rather like Ford continuing to sell a Model T, or maybe a Ford Capri, (if you are in the US, insert your own model!) but wanting it to cost £25000, despite not having AirCon, ABS, Power assisted steering, Decent brakes, Xenon lights, and all the other stuff. (and once you include all the improvements, its no longer the same as the orginal)

I am sure Zenith and other watch makers have similar issues. Rolex seem to serenely glide over everything, though.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

JAFO wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:29 pm
I think the overall omega pricing strategy was the thing. It's hard for them to have their "premium" product (well, marketed as premium) being priced well below other stuff.

It seems rather like Ford continuing to sell a Model T, or maybe a Ford Capri, (if you are in the US, insert your own model!) but wanting it to cost £25000, despite not having AirCon, ABS, Power assisted steering, Decent brakes, Xenon lights, and all the other stuff. (and once you include all the improvements, its no longer the same as the orginal)

I am sure Zenith and other watch makers have similar issues. Rolex seem to serenely glide over everything, though.
An updated ‘modern’ Capri - now I’m interested, get it sorted Ford :D
Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Viognier »

TigerChris wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:58 pm
The "juice isn't worth the squeeze" on these changes IMO
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by nbg »

TigerChris wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:29 pm
JAFO wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:29 pm

An updated ‘modern’ Capri - now I’m interested, get it sorted Ford :D
Agreed, but only if it includes the option of a vinyl roof! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Ok, so we can all agree that the new Speedy is either overpriced, or isn't.
As far as the watch itself. Good to see that Omega didn't screw up a good thing. I'm especially impressed that they resisted the chance to slap "Master Chronometer" on the dial and ruin a classic design. I would have liked to see an applied logo on all the models, but, again, classic design. The only thing I'm not sure about is the new bracelet. The proportions between the center and outer links looks off to me. I think it still represents a fair value compared to the Daytona, but it's very much now priced to appeal to a smaller, more premium audience, and that is a shame. At current prices I don't know that I would buy one.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

The improvements are good (imo), the newer strap and 42mm case are definitely favourable to us with slimmer wrists, although the price increase just moves it even further away from obtainable for me, will have to wait a couple of years to see how these fair on the secondhand market before I’ll be able to consider pulling the trigger.