Longines Heritage Diver

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Longines Heritage Diver

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Well, after all of the deliberation the LLD has arrived and there's no doubt it's a quality watch. The dial, the contrast, the internal bezel are fantastic. Even the size, which had caused my pre-ordering concerns, is ok. It fits well with no lug issue (even if they are more pronounced and angular than my other watches).

There is a 'but', though, which means this might go back to the shop. The hands just seem a little small and delicate. I'd noticed this in photos, but it's seeing it up close that really brings the handset to my full attention. I'm also a bit disappointed with the strap. It doesn't feel as quality as I'd have hoped. That said, perhaps the strap will break in over time.

I'd be disappointed to return it and will give it a few days before deciding.....

[Edit:the watch looks bigger in the pics than it feels in reality]
16105780916217745274763140636501.jpg
16105780648524880914178356864982.jpg
Attachments
16105779829696235150930160872376.jpg
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I do see what you mean about the hands, so of course for you to accept or reject. I hope it works out whatever you decide.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Definitely take a few days to decide, and try to catch sight of the watch in various lighting conditions. I find that the hands on mine feel like they have real presence because they catch the light beautifully against the more muted dial markers and indices. However, I do get that if those hands are in any way unsatisfying it’s understandable that that could be a deal breaker.
Give it time to work it’s magic then decide and no looking back :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think the hands might seem small because of the internal bezel. The minute hand extends into the minute track but there is a lot of bezel outside that. It's hard to see on a flat picture the extent to which bezel is raised, or sloping, and distinguished from the minute track. We aren't really used to seeing internal bezels. On the super compressor you don't get this effect because the internal bezel is a completely different colour, but it's not in your watch. What does it looks like in real life?
Neil b
Senior
Senior

Post by Neil b »

Don’t know if it’s the photo angle but it looks massive on your wrist
Due to the overhang of the lugs nice watch though
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Personally I think the handset looks absolutely fine. If that is the same strap that I had on mine with the fairly soft backing I found that it very soon became extremely comfortable. You are fine with the size so would encourage you to stick with it. It is a very nice watch.
Cheers now, Paul
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:47 am I do see what you mean about the hands, so of course for you to accept or reject. I hope it works out whatever you decide.
Thanks!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

missF wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:44 am Definitely take a few days to decide, and try to catch sight of the watch in various lighting conditions. I find that the hands on mine feel like they have real presence because they catch the light beautifully against the more muted dial markers and indices. However, I do get that if those hands are in any way unsatisfying it’s understandable that that could be a deal breaker.
Give it time to work it’s magic then decide and no looking back :thumbup:
There's no doubt about legibility, the hands catch the light really well. It's a really classy watch and I can definitely see the appeal and why these are highly rated
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

JAFO wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:59 am I think the hands might seem small because of the internal bezel. The minute hand extends into the minute track but there is a lot of bezel outside that. It's hard to see on a flat picture the extent to which bezel is raised, or sloping, and distinguished from the minute track. We aren't really used to seeing internal bezels. On the super compressor you don't get this effect because the internal bezel is a completely different colour, but it's not in your watch. What does it looks like in real life?
It's really hard to photograph given the domed glass. But you are right that the hands fit the minute track and are shortened by the internal bezel, but they still feel slightly undersized. As I replied to MissF, this Is a really classy watch and I actually compared the hands to my C5 dress watch rather than other dive watches.
16106438786773528225101365735472.jpg
The internal bezel is excellent.

🤔
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:47 am I do see what you mean about the hands, so of course for you to accept or reject. I hope it works out whatever you decide.
Thanks!
After the palava to reel this one in, I do hope it becomes a keeper for you. It does look very smooth from your photos.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Neil b wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:31 pm Don’t know if it’s the photo angle but it looks massive on your wrist
Due to the overhang of the lugs nice watch though
It is on the larger side, but the photo didn't do the size or proportion any favours. Face and lugs are on the wrist rather than hanging over the edge
16106442585507656587719878994478.jpg
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

stefs wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:56 pm Personally I think the handset looks absolutely fine. If that is the same strap that I had on mine with the fairly soft backing I found that it very soon became extremely comfortable. You are fine with the size so would encourage you to stick with it. It is a very nice watch.
Thanks Stefs. It is an excellent watch and if it does go back, I'll be disappointed.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Thanks!
After the palava to reel this one in, I do hope it becomes a keeper for you. It does look very smooth from your photos.
Thanks. 'Classy' is my word of the day, and defo applies to this watch
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

16106450339279040636981226046426.jpg
A better view of size in internal bezel
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Congratulations on finally getting hold of an LLD :clap:
Biased I might be, but that it one gorgeous, classy watch with a great heritage* :thumbup:

My opinion on the hands is that I think that if they were any larger they would detract away from the rest of the dial.

*Ref: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-l ... gend-diver

The fit looks to be just about perfect because of the way the lugs curve down around the wrist.

As far as the strap is concerned, you could always change it to, something like, a Shark Mesh bracelet or a Geckota "Oblique" mesh from WatchGecko.
ImageLLD_001 by StrapMeister, on Flickr