Omega Speedmaster rumour

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Omega Speedmaster rumour

Post by Viognier »

On another forum I follow, and a credible source, posted that the Omega Speedmaster Professional in both Hesalite and Sapphire sandwich versions have been officially discontinued. AD’s have also apparently been informed.

In January 2020, Omega will launch new versions which have a new movement and be considerably more expensive.

Anyone else hearing the same from their Omega sources?

I ponder if the existing Calibre 1861 handwind movements will be more sought after or will they drop in price and be old news.....
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Omega Speedmaster rumour

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Viognier wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:20 pm In January 2020 they will launch the new versions which have a new movement and be considerably more expensive.
I haven't heard anything but it wouldn't surprise me. They have been using the "Moonwatch" family as a cash-cow for a few years now.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Have heard the same rumblings, going by what I've heard, the older ones will become more sought after.
As for being a cash cow, probably, but can't blame them for pushing one of the most iconic watches of all time.
Don't all brands do that?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Surprising if they replace arguably their most iconic model with versions that are significantly more expensive, might make them somewhat less attainable. A more modest model evolution may have been a better strategy (akin to how Rolex have evolved the Sub over the years but never with more than moderately incremental increases in price).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I heard the same from a creditable source... :)

About two years ago!

I am sure it will happen sometime.

To be fair more likely than when I first heard it.

Once Omega have milked the Moon connection a bit more.

Remind me how much was the RRP of a hesalite Moonwatch in about 2013/14 before big box syndrome? :lol:

Neil

PS: I like Speedmasters, have had a few and still have a couple.
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Omega might be discontinuing the Speedmaster Pro?!

[insert corny joke about legacy pieces, design DNA, and brand identity here]
Drew
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

nbg wrote:I heard the same from a creditable source... :)

About two years ago!

I am sure it will happen sometime.

To be fair more likely than when I first heard it.

Once Omega have milked the Moon connection a bit more.

Remind me how much was the RRP of a hesalite Moonwatch in about 2013/14 before big box syndrome? Image

Neil

PS: I like Speedmasters, have had a few and still have a couple.
Fair comment, I just remember how much a c60 originally.....

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Doubt they'll miss out on the opportunity of sending a "classic moonwatch" to the moon in the next few years...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^ Indeed Chris. :)

I remember how much the price increase was between the Mark 1 (aluminium bezel)Trident and the Mark 2 ceramic bezel, but initially same bracelet) Trident 2.

Think I even pointed out at the time that it was a much, much bigger price increase than when Rolex moved from their 5 digit to 6 digit Submariner models. :wink:

Neil
TZ-UK
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Lance, I know exactly where you saw it. Bobby is crebible, but prone to bouts of dramatism. To be fair, it was sensational journalism at it's finest, not unlike some of his pronouncements of amazing new brands or exclusive models.
The CURRENT Speedmaster Professional models are being discontinued. They are being replaced by new Speedmaster Pro models with a new movement (and eye-watering price increases), and a new model number. The Speedy Pro is not, in any way, being discontinued. Rather, the current model number is being retired. The Speedy Pro is being no more retired than the Rolex Submariner was retired this summer when the 41mm model was released.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

nbg wrote:^^^ Indeed Chris. :)

I remember how much the price increase was between the Mark 1 (aluminium bezel)Trident and the Mark 2 ceramic bezel, but initially same bracelet) Trident 2.

Think I even pointed out at the time that it was a much, much bigger price increase than when Rolex moved from their 5 digit to 6 digit Submariner models. :wink:

Neil
I actually remember you saying that Neil, most of your nuggets of wisdom seem to stick in my memory ImageImage

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Amor Vincit Omnia

Digging around a bit, it seems likely that the movement will be the 3861, essentially an updated and beautified (?) version with Master Chronometer certification, hacking seconds and a few other improvements.

https://millenarywatches.com/omega-caliber-3861/
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

My source tends to be my Omega Boutique. They have been saying that any Moonwatch based on the 1861 movement has been out of production for some time, probably since the start of 2020. There is supply of 1861 based moonwatches in the logistics chain but they are becoming rarer in the US (at least). The Omega ADs and Omega Boutiques are separate organisations (Boutiques are owned by Omega) and they have been selling moonwatches to each other to spread the watches around.
Demand has gone up because people think they will be an investment and due to the silver snoopy launched this year. It seems that people want a snoopy, find that there's a waiting list and buy a moonwatch instead. Markets outside the US may have different levels of supply and these were watches in regular production for a long time so I don't think they will be sold out for a long time. Look at the Ref 212 Seamaster as an example, it went out of production in 2017 but is still widely available.
There have been a couple of models using the 3861 and so it is very likely that Omega now knows how to scale this movement up for large scale, regular production and the launch of a moonwatch using the 3861 in 2021 is very plausible.
Other gossip. The Silver Snoopy is not coming through in large numbers yet. My Omega boutique hasn't had one yet but is hoping to get one by the end of the year. Emphasis on "hoping". The Ed White Cal 321 has started to trickle into the network. They claim that there have been 4 sold into the US Omega Boutique network so far and they received their first in late October. The waiting list is quite long and they are prioritising VIP customers for these watches. I suspect this is also the case for the "Silver Snoopy" as well.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Apparently.

CHF 5,800 on bracelet.

CHF 5,500 on fabric strap.

Not surprisingly it looks remarkably like the current model, although the case back has even more text and the bracelet has a better taper.

DON bezel.

If it ain’t broke, no need to fix it basically.

Apparently.

Neil
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

nbg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:30 am DON bezel.
I guess that is one of the things that may well have some people tearing off to the AD to place their orders.

These tiny things seem to matter to the "real" aficionados. Me, I'm perfectly happy with my dot at the upper right side of the zero. :D
Steve