The cult of Seiko

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

The cult of Seiko

Post by strapline »

Judging by the non CW of the day thread ,as well as ample representation in the sales corner, I know that Seiko is a very popular brand on this forum. I would even speculate that up to one in five posts in the non CW of the day feature a Seiko. I would be really interested to hear from owners of these watches what their appeal is. The more I've got in to watches, the more you come across this almost cult-like dedication to collecting the brand, certainly the various iterations of diver. I find the whole thing really fascinating, particularly when one considers that Seiko were pretty much soley responsible for the the demise of the mechanical watch in the 70's.

I have an idea of why they are so popular: affordable, robust, reliable/serviceable movements, the option to modify. But still, it's hard to not imagine that the word Seiko is not total anathema to many die-hard mechanical watch collectors. Many of these people find themselves spitting if they have to even mention the word 'qxxxxz', struggling to hold back the bile that builds in their throat.

The Seiko divers hold no appeal to me, but I do really like the Presage range and, of course, the mighty Grand Seiko. I would love to learn more about these divers appeal from those in the know. Their fan base is truly huge, possibly equal to or bigger even than Rolex. I would imagine that there is sufficient interest in the brand that is could almost have its own discussion thread on the forum, assuming it doesn't exist already?

Thanks in advance...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The cult of Seiko

Post by jkbarnes »

Great question. I’m neither an expert on nor a hardcore enthusiast for Seiko, but I own three (two mechanical and a 30+ year old digital), so I’ll offer an opinion.

Firstly, like CW, I think Seiko offers tremendous value for money. And it does this across a far broader range - from the entry level Seiko 5s up to Grand Seiko. My introduction to mechanical watches was an SNK809. At the time I got it, it was well under $100. You can’t beat that!

Secondly, Seiko has a rich history to the brand. In other threads we talked about legacy watches and design DNA. I think Seiko has that covered in spades! I especially like how they put out models that pay respect to previous watches in their catalog without being simple reissues.

And finally, there’s the modification angle. Certain references provide great platforms to customize a watch to ones content. I’ve just done that myself and will post pics when I get the final product back.

In a lot of ways the Seiko community reminds me of the Mazda MX-5 community. They’ve latched onto a solid car that offers great performance, is easy to maintain, is fun to drive, has a rich history, and a huge after market of vendors so it can be tweaked to ones liking. I also have an MX-5, by the way.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s not a brand that I get particularly excited about, but I can certainly admire what they have achieved. In line with many Japanese manufactured goods they are generally a model of reliability and value for money.
strapline wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:43 pm I would imagine that there is sufficient interest in the brand that is could almost have its own discussion thread on the forum, assuming it doesn't exist already?
I took the screenshot when conducting an advanced search for SEIKO in topic titles in OtherBrands. 392 threads over 27 pages.

AEC23BBE-7A93-4BF3-8104-BE6B32A9B7FB.jpeg

Anyone can start a THREAD about any brand. However, I have a hunch that what you might possibly be suggesting is that it should have its own section or sub forum. Now, this is off the top of my head as a member and hasn’t been discussed by the Admin Team, because I’ve only just seen it. Personally, I would be opposed to any other single brand having its own sub forum on this site, or even its own “...of the day” thread. Once start that and you will open the floodgates for owners of many brands to start or request their own subsections.

“Other Brands” and “Non-CW of the Day” are where all non-CW watches should go. IMHO, of course.

And if that is not what you meant, then please accept my apologies for being presumptuous. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MaxPowers
CW-watches: 2

Post by MaxPowers »

After spending half a lifetime wearing only G-Shock’s my Seiko Orange Monster was the gateway into mechanical watches. It was my EDC for 5 years and took the same abuse my G-Shocks were subjected too. However, after dealing with Seiko Service USA to repair that watch (5 attempts), and my changing tastes, I don’t think another Seiko will be in my (humble) collection.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

As I sit here wearing a Seiko Alpinist Sarb017 I will be interested to read the responses from others. :)

Not sure that I am able to articulate the cult of Seiko.

However if I look back on my collecting journey and started again, having to restrict myself to only wearing watches from three brands, I would pick Seiko, Rolex and JLC.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:44 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:43 pm I would imagine that there is sufficient interest in the brand that is could almost have its own discussion thread on the forum, assuming it doesn't exist already?
I have a hunch that what you might possibly be suggesting is that it should have its own section or sub forum.
Just to clarify, that wasn't what I meant at all. Just indicating the size of the Seiko following on this forum. I'm fully aware that this is principally a CW forum, and I wouldn't suggest anything that went against that. Just thought I'd start a discussion topic where I might be able to find some willing contributors and satisfy my own curiosity.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Okay, my apologies for jumping the gun there. And for diverting your thread. Let’s get it back on topic – it’s a good subject! And I shall keep out as I have very little of import to say. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I've never owned a Seiko but completely see the value with them. My Father still wears his 1980 Seiko that he won as a corporate sales person of the year.

Grand Seiko, for higher end Luxury Watches, represent the best watch for dollar equation in the industry (fit, finish, in-house movement, accuracy, longevity) IMO and according to a few others. I borrowed a buddies GS and wore it for a day; simply a brilliant watch.

Nick Hayek (President and CEO of Swatch Group) was asked if he could select any other brand of watches to wear (excluding his brands) what he would choose....... he told WatchTime Magazine that it would be a Grand Seiko.

Kevin O'Leary (of Dragon's Den/Shark Tank shows) and his massive watch collection was asked what the best value was in all of watchmaking......he stated, without question, it is Grand Seiko.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Where to start... Prices from £150 up to £15K+, all with in-house movements, excellent finishing at all price levels, reliable bullet-proof watches.

Arguably one of the most technologically advanced manufacturers. Just look at some of their current movements: HAQ, Spring Drive, high end automatics; and their exquisite case and dial finishing.

Sometimes their QC can fall down, but who really needs bezels and chapter rings to align...

I've been trying to think about all the Seikos' I've owned over the last 30-35 years and I lost track. I've currently got two: a 20+ year old Kinetic and a newish Turtle. I'm also possible going to buy another one before the end of the week :oops:

I can't imagine not having a Seiko in my collection.
Tim
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Imho their epic well deserved success is also their achilles heel in a way. Because they are sooooooo successful and the market is literally drowning in them, with most people owning more than 1, (in some cases far more than 1..!), it makes me turn away from them because of the lack of exclusivity.
I dont need a watch absolutely nobody else has, although id pay good money for a prototype! But i dont want to wear a watch absolutely everybody has either.

I do own one thanks to this forum, and i admit i can find absolutely nothing about it i dislike. But because everyone wears one, mine very rarely gets worn.

Its a tough one because there are some stupidly nice examples of modded seikos, and obviously the high end stuff, mostly looks and is stunning in every way.

As a couple have said, i just dont get it!
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Whilst I can't quite go with the cult label, I do agree that Seiko is something special. That they have offerings in just about every possible niche (not forgetting that Orient is part of the stable) and yet remain so desirable is truly unique.

I own three at the moment, all cheapies that get used for "activities" that I don't dare wear "good" watches for. I have owned a high end Presage, that was extremely nice and a Mini-Tuna. I bought both on whims and they never really fitted my collection being eclipsed by "more suitable" watches so moved them on - no problem: someone, somewhere always wants a Seiko.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

They appeal to everyone from the budget to the high end of the market. Where else can you get an automatic watch with an in house movement for £100-£150 (from a brand with the history of Seiko).

Leaving aside any Seiko quartz watches I probably owned as a kid (as my memory doesn't serve me that well), in recent times I've owned a Presage, a GS and currently a Mini Turtle bought a few weeks ago. My son wears the Sea Urchin I bought him for his 18th birthday (prior to that he never wore a watch at all).

I think every collection should have a Seiko.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I don't get it so I shall be reading with interest to see what the attraction is - I've had one, sold it and, admittedly, thought about buying it back very recently - I didn't as it couldn't compete with my Orient Mako the first time so it wouldn't again. I know I'm probably totally wrong in my perception of them but I just think 'Argos sale' when I see them (although, when I was younger I had better bracelets on Argos sale quartz Accurists and Sekondas for 10/20 quid than was on my Samurai!). Maybe it has a lot to do with the famous 'Seiko Lume', I don't know?
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Seiko can be all things to most men and have been quietly for a fair while. Just look at this (i still would love to have it)
Plus my mrs got me a seiko for our engagement 28 years ago and it is still working perfectly!
CD265BF8-19D2-4F9C-88AE-2D805D458A19.jpeg
D6C203BA-4A65-4D32-9374-7AAF929488C8.jpeg
Cheers now, Paul
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

stefs wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:48 pm Seiko can be all things to most men and have been quietly for a fair while. Just look at this (i still would love to have it)
Plus my mrs got me a seiko for our engagement 28 years ago and it is still working perfectly!
CD265BF8-19D2-4F9C-88AE-2D805D458A19.jpeg
D6C203BA-4A65-4D32-9374-7AAF929488C8.jpeg
Now that sir, is stunning.

But i still dont get it!