Got my first Chopard Mille Miglia.....

A place to discuss other watch-brands
0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Got my first Chopard Mille Miglia.....

Post by 0uatiOW »

I am fully chuffed to have received this Chopard Mille Miglia reference 16/8955 this week. It’s pre-loved (I mean it - it’s 15 years old and in fabulous condition, with all the papers, box and tyre gauge). Fortunately, the day after I bought this another member came to my rescue by way of Sales Corner (thanks @SWARMY).

Along with the ZeroWest RAF-C I introduced yesterday, I am going to see if I can make it to the end of the month wearing just these 2 watches..... as a serial rotator, I’m a little unnerved (First World problems anyone?)

C29C1FFE-D56A-498F-851A-EEC1220DBBF2.jpeg

I love the tiny & iconic red logo.

B6ACE904-8864-472A-9A2B-5F4E20A3EF41.jpeg
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
StrapMeister
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Got my first Chopard Mille Miglia.....

Post by StrapMeister »

Gorgeous watch :D
CHOPARD make some fine watches :thumbup:
Enjoy.
The Brits...
BREMONT; ZERO WEST; PINION; CHRISTOPHER WARD; MARLOE; SCURFA; ELLIOT BROWN; ROTARY; so far!

Freewheelers Emergency Voluntary Service (Blood Bikes) https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

That looks tip top, Wyatt.

Interesting to see a larger than usual date window.

Tyre tread pattern; what do you reckon? Pirelli or Dunlop?

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000
0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by 0uatiOW »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 am
That looks tip top, Wyatt.

Interesting to see a larger than usual date window.

Tyre tread pattern; what do you reckon? Pirelli or Dunlop?

Guy
Yep, at my age I need a big date (it’s an ETA 2896, showing +2spd), and in a way fits well with the oversize numerals on the dial.

The strap is a Dunlop tread apparently, super comfortable, vanilla scented but I need to punch another hole when I can build up the courage.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Dunlop, eh?

Lucky guess on my part. Just thought of Motorsport tyre suppliers prominent in the era.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000
Tortoise
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Maybe you could wear this on one wrist and the RAF-C on the other. Then, when you feel the need for your normal rotation, you could swap them over!? :lol:

All joking aside - congratulations! Two very fine acquisitions. Enjoy in good health. :clap: :thumbup:
regards
Ian
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thegreyman »

Wow you are on fire at the moment with your Zero West and now this :thumbup:

Chopard do make very distinctive watches and I like the oversized numerals and date. Not sure about the tyre tread strap (but then I do have a pair of adidas trainers with the sole made by Continental) but I guess it fits well with the motorsport theme.
Patrick

C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Ombre COSC LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

0uatiOW wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Along with the ZeroWest RAF-C I introduced yesterday, I am going to see if I can make it to the end of the month wearing just these 2 watches..... as a serial rotator, I’m a little unnerved (First World problems anyone?)
I often go for days, sometimes even a couple of weeks, wearing the same watch. But I have never been a rotator.

That’s a fantastic pair of watches to try the experiment with, Wyatt. Congratulations on your recent acquisitions. :thumbup:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Wyatt,

Lovely purchase of a Chopard. I've always fancied 1 but never really looked seriously.

Having the experience of buying 1 of your watches I'm certain that the Chopard will remain in it's present fantastic condition in your ownership.

Mick
strapline
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I really like that Chopard, what a lovely watch. I can't believe it's fifteen years old, it looks box-fresh. Even the strap looks mint...wish my tyres looked like that after 15yrs use. :lol:

Des
I'm a tool watch kinda guy; bezels and pushers for me. I used to dive, I used to climb mountains. I spend too much time looking at watches.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Lovely watch. Chopard one of the brands I've always known but never really considered. Perhaps I should. 15 years old? Really. Amazing.
0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by 0uatiOW »

Thanks everyone. This watch was first sold in July 2005 by an AD in my home town almost 100 miles from where I now live. The watch is in better condition than the box (it’s good but shows some marks), with only light signs of use on the case and a couple of faint scratches across the perlage on the case back. Full paperwork including the certificate, crisply folded, so evidently it has spent most of its life in the folder in the box.

I have no idea of the service history, and I don’t have a timeographer, but Toolwatch clocks a reassuring +2spd.

My experiment starts today, but I’m not sure if I can stick the whole day with the Chopard. Maybe I’ll rotate during the day instead of at the end the day :thumbup:

Mikkei4 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:39 am
Having the experience of buying 1 of your watches I'm certain that the Chopard will remain in it's present fantastic condition in your ownership.
Thanks Mick - my fussiness with all my watches starts before I buy and lasts forever or until the watch is with it’s appreciative new owner, whichever happens first. Before C19 I used to travel a lot, and I always used to wrap my left wrist in a blanket when sleeping on a plane - those seatbelt buckles are always on the left, and the table edges & seat arms are all sent by the devil....

Here’s question on the off chance that anyone knows. Chopard references come with a prefix - for example, this 8955 has reference 16/8955. I’ve also seen 15/8955s, which look the same (according to the photos), but can’t find anything that explains what the difference is. I assume it’s an age thing, but it’s not the year of manufacture and it’s not printed on the watch caseback.

Any clues?
exHowfener
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

wish my tyres looked like that after 15yrs use.
Even if they did ... you still need some new tyres!
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

It's a fabulous watch, many congratulations.

I have the 2015 LE and the latest LE is blue!
'Tis me
StrapMeister
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by StrapMeister »

0uatiOW wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:35 pm
Here’s question on the off chance that anyone knows. Chopard references come with a prefix - for example, this 8955 has reference 16/8955. I’ve also seen 15/8955s, which look the same (according to the photos), but can’t find anything that explains what the difference is. I assume it’s an age thing, but it’s not the year of manufacture and it’s not printed on the watch caseback.

Any clues?
Not sure but...
I've just looked at the back of mine (GPdM) and it doesn't have the prefix just the number 8568.
I do have a CHOPARD book somewhere which I'll dig out and see if it refences anything about this prefix.
The Brits...
BREMONT; ZERO WEST; PINION; CHRISTOPHER WARD; MARLOE; SCURFA; ELLIOT BROWN; ROTARY; so far!

Freewheelers Emergency Voluntary Service (Blood Bikes) https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/