Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Waning interest in watches.

Post by magicman »

Good morning

I’ll try to keep this short.

I think my interest in watches in waning,
Although I do visit the forum daily, my getting involved in discussions has Definitely declined.
I have spent 11yrs building/changing/obsessing and believing completing my collection.

Now I’ve trimmed it down to.
Rotary Elite (worn pretty much Everyday, work watch and beater)
C60 Mk11 Pressie from my wife (Worn when not wearing the Rotary)
C9 5 day reserve (rarely worn/in sales corner) bought at launch, which I was lucky enough to attend.
Moonwatch bought with my 50th birthday money and watch fund. (Rarely worn/C60 always wins when picking a going out watch)
Octon, black bay clone. Bought as a strap dolly and daily beater (never wear/Rotary serves that purpose)
And a few cheapies rattling around the sock drawer.

So since turning 50, 1 and 1/2 Years ago. And spending the previous 10 years getting here, I’m thinking I need 2 of the above watches only.

Is this a phase you have gone/pushed through ?
I think if I sold the moonwatch tomorrow I wouldn’t miss it, but I am proud to own it, if that makes sense.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Waning interest in watches.

Post by H0rati0 »

I have been "obsessing" over watches for some 40 years, so I hope I can lend a certain perspective.

Firstly, one definitely has phases, so no problem to slow burn for a while, after all what's wrong with wearing and enjoying what you have without feeling "pressure" to acquire or dispose? WRT disposal, if you don't really need the cash, why endure the hassle and of course your wearing habits may change as time goes by. Something to take time over, there's a time to buy and a time to sell and when you want to, you will.

Best of luck with enjoying the journey, destination optional!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Yep - I'm in a similar place to you.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I get where you are coning from. I am frequently asking why I have the watches I do and want to have a bit of a sell up. Ten minutes later I am looking again, I believe foolishly trying to find the one that stops the itch.
I do feel that if watches are not getting worn then whats the point of having them.
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

magicman wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:16 am Is this a phase you have gone/pushed through ?
Absolutely, Steve. I think it’s an area that many of us have been in and out of.

I’ve had a bit of a cull recently, but there are still quite a few watches, including my vintage ones, that I really don’t wear.

Essentially, I have four watches that I wear on a regular basis: the Moonwatch; the Tank; the C65 Trident Diver; and the new MeisterSinger Metris. Others get the occasional day every now and then.

I suppose I ought to think about reducing a bit further. I can walk past watch shops without stopping now. I don’t take much notice of adverts and I’m not anticipating anything that will spark my interest from CW, Tribus or anyone else for that matter at the moment.

Basically, I’m in quite a good place as far as watches are concerned. Unlike you, my Moonwatch is my go-to, and it’s totally safe because it was a legacy purchase.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Like the other replies I can appreciate your situation and feelings. Over time interest in any “hobby” can wax and wane or disappear totally so why not the same for watches, especially at present when our perspective on life in general has been tilted or re-focused due to COVID.

However I do think that is different to owning watches and it would be a shame to sell the Moonwatch that you bought for a significant life event. It’s such an iconic watch for anybody to own (and keep or sell) and since you bought yours it’s probably risen significantly in purchase price so more difficult to achieve.

I cannot imagine selling mine - it's nearly 2 years since I bought it and it's become my only worn watch.

Ultimately though only you can decide based on the strengths of your feelings.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Yeah in the past 2 years only purchased 2, the only one that I keep looking at is the 14060 sub but that is only a pipe dream :( can’t see me buying anything else, nothing interests me at the moment
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I find myself searching for these more than watches at the moment, only have 2 but I can see it becoming a slippery slope. Have my eye on a blue one :shock:

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

I understand where you're coming from completely. Watches are a very easy thing to drift in to buying and collecting. For me, it's all about owning watches that I love, and that meet my criteria for owning them. I also think that watches should be worn, not stored in boxes. For that reason I own only three, which is two more than I have ever owned at any time before. I try and wear them for a day or so each in rotation, nothing sits collecting dust or gets left feeling unloved. Also, I have formed an attachment with each of these watches; their small number allowing me to build a significant wearing history with each.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I get where you’re coming from Steve.

I’ve just sold a couple (correction. Make that 3) of my least worn watches and have two (one now) more up for sale. The plan was to buy one of two new Seikos that I’ve got my eye on.

I can’t make my mind up which to buy so have started thinking that I might buy a new iPad with the funds instead!

There, I said it.

Is this the slippery slope to losing interest? I don’t know yet but it feels strange to not be drooling over watches all the time.

Update: Incoming C65 Super Compressor! :oops:
Steve.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

magicman wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:16 am Is this a phase you have gone/pushed through ?
Not yet, Steve, nor do I think it will ever happen.

I feel that with the current state of my collection, I am beyond redemption on getting down to the numbers you are talking off.

Therefore any help or advice that I might offer will be totally irrelevant.

Sorry. :oops:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

To the original question, yes absolutely... I even went as far as rarely wearing any watch for 2-3 months of this year 😳 when I did it was mainly my C60 (quartz) beater.

We each have our own reasons for collecting/interest (in anything) and only part of that is the actual item itself.
Perfectly natural.. changes in personal priorities, circumstances, finances, the opportunity cost, perceived value, boredom, acheivement of needs, wellbeing etc all play a part.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Qubo »

Interest is a high as ever - the urge to acquire is much less. Focus is now really on enjoying what I have - it does not matter how often a certain watch is worn - as long as they continue to sing on the wrist (which they all do). Mixing and matching styles and straps. Also, there is little out there that really demands attention - in today's new normal you think twice before committing your cash. "Watch collecting" implies that you're never done and that there always boxes to "tick" in terms of better, more, other etc. I have no "grail watch" if you'd ask me; I look at my watches as well designed/engineered functional items instead of pieces of (horological) art. Love to read about them, checking them out at the AD but looking at what I have now I can say that I have little desire to add or replace. And that is perfectly fine and may change as my taste/preferences could change; will see, I'm not going to force the issue one way or the other. Enjoy what I have and grateful for good health!
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Some interesting points, thanks for the reply’s.
I think I may have found a simple answer as to part of the reason why, I’m not as in love with the Moonwatch as when I searched for and acquired it.
I think the deterioration in my vision, may be a factor.
I can only read the print On the dial and engravings on the rear, with my reading glasses on.
The other 2 watches, mentioned in my OP are highly legible, so I don’t need any visual assistance to appreciate them.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Deteriorating vision has affected my enjoyment of watches too.