Tissot deployment strap.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Tissot deployment strap.

Post by JAFO »

I just bought my wife a very pleasant Tissot watch from JS, but I can't believe the deployant strap.

First, the clasp attached to the short strap doesn't flip out, so it's a bit harder to squeeze your hand through the smaller opening.

Second, there is no push button release for the clasp. It's friction. This means you have to fold the leather back out of the keeper, and then pull it the end of leather strap upwards to pull the clasp out, thereby losing most of the benefits of extending the life of a leather strap by having a deployant.

Anybody else seen this? Here's a couple of photos but I can't focus any closer.

IMG_20200731_140245050.jpg
IMG_20200731_140255072.jpg
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Tissot deployment strap.

Post by keepitsimple »

Some deployment clasps are just a friction fit, with no release buttons. They are normally the cheap ones though.

They can be very stiff to open as a result - I tried some cheap ones that needed to be prised open with a screwdriver. ***

Are you certain that the other end doesn't open, and it isn't a case of it just being extremely tight ?

From the picture, there is a pin at the end of that half of the deployment where the strap attaches which looks as if it should open; otherwise can't see what all the rest of the metal bit is there for.

*** junked them anyway - very uncomfortable - you get what you pay for on ebay :wink:
David1989

Post by David1989 »

I can assure you (through experience) that this type of deployment clasp does open on both sides. Whether it is or isn’t opening may be down to the amount of perceived force needed to open the clasp. Pull it a little harder, it’ll open!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Thanks both. @keepitsimple's post made me look again, and I realised that the clasp did open on both sides. I didn't want to apply excessive force, but when I did, it did indeed open. Thanks @david1989 for confirming that. I imagine it will get a bit easier over time.

The strap itself seems very good. It's a Tissot 610033630, which I found here - crocodile style white leather. https://www.mastersintime.com/gb/en/tis ... 033630.htm

I can't find the exact clasp, which is just marked RTP BN on the clasp, with a Tissot T on the closure. I could swap the clasp for a push button one, but my wife is happy enough with this one.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@JAFO - good to hear you seem to have got it sorted.

Looks like you have what is known as a 'Butterfly' deployant, named as both sides open like a pair of Butterfly's wings. This type was used by CW in their early years on both their leather straps and bracelets.

One tip for you to help when putting it on, which will make it easier and protect the leather of the strap over time, is to close the short end of the strap and then, as you close the longer end simultaneously feed the tip of the long end through the keepers, keeping the strap flat.

Of course, sadly, this doesn't help with having to flex the tail of the longer end (which from your photo doesn't look to be too long) when taking the strap off; but your wife may find a way that works for her.

Good luck.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just a conclusion. Thanks again for your helpful comments. I have now ordered a replacement deployant clasp with pushbuttons, which will avoid wear and tear on the leather strap. While looking at all the clasps on the bay, I realised that a lot of them were friction, with no apparent easy release. I didn't realise you could get or want friction fit clasps for leather.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 am I didn't realise you could get or want friction fit clasps for leather.
Well, you learn something every day!

You might be interested in this arrangement from Cartier. Works brilliantly.
Cartier (17).jpg
Cartier (18).jpg
Cartier (19).jpg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by keepitsimple »

Glad you've found a solution. Shame Tissot cheaped out though.

The best deployments by far (IMO) are the Omega type. No metal against the wrist, only the leather strap ***. Next to no wear and tear putting them on/taking them off: much easier on/off and very comfortable to wear.

Downsides -

the Omega ones are, as you might expect, expensive, but there are a lot of the same generic type around with no brand markings (as well as a lot of "Omega" fakes......)

conventional straps don't work - they position the clasp in the wrong place on the wrist. You need straps designed for that type of deployment. Fortunately, that doesn't mean you have to pay Omega prices as there are other suitable quality straps available.

*** edit: that's not quite true - thinking about it, there is a metal part at the end of the deployment that does sit against the wrist - only a small piece though - I never notice it in real life.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The CW bader straps on the cordovan bracelets are the same, but they are mens not ladies, and they aren't a cheap fix either. I am sure you know but they are very elegant as there are no keepers, and you only see the small closure.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I meant that the bader clasps on the CW cordovan straps work the same way as the omega ones. The extra leather goes under the clasp not over.

I don't think I phrased it quite right in my last post.