The Unimatic is here

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

The Unimatic is here

Post by Wis »

Some of you know that I ordered a new watch recently. It arrived today: Unimatic U1-FN. A limited run of 300 watches (all their models are limited).
An all black 300m diving watch.

It comes in a very sturdy toolish box.

And here it is. Impressed with apparent quality. The movement is Seiko NH35A, which is a 21,600bph hacking automatic movement with 41 hours power reserve. Accuracy -20/+40 s/day.

Here shown in mirror to better show true size on my wrist. It is 41,5mm wide, 49 lug to lug, 13,6mm tall. Lug spacing is 22mm.

I quickly put it on an orange canvas strap. After all, it is summer.

Legibility is extremely good. Nothing gets in the way.

Here it looks almost grey, but that’s a trick of the light.

Here shown with cat. It wears nicely.

Very happy so far.
Bjørn
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: The Unimatic is here

Post by Thegreyman »

I think coming in that box, it had to contain a true tool watch and indeed the Unimatic looks very sturdy with those prominent crown guards. It is a nicely balanced dial, the cat definitely approves too!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

No doubt about it being a tool watch Patrick. It looks almost industrial. A design all of its own. It shows that the two guys behind the brand are industrial designers.

It is not for everyone, but I think it is a great, modern take on the dive watch.
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It has a certain “I’m here to do a job - mess with me at your peril!” kind of presence. Very nice. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:07 pm It has a certain “I’m here to do a job - mess with me at your peril!” kind of presence. Very nice. :thumbup:
:lol: Not conventionally pretty, I’ll give you that.
Bjørn
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Wow. What a striking watch. And interesting to hear that the makers are industrial designers. This is definitely a coherent modern take on the traditional diver. And the orange? Absolutely fantastic :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

The Unimatic is here

Post by Wis »

Thanks Lindsey. I agree, a new coherent design. Not many of those around, when we talk about microbrands. I find that very attractive. And I actually like the design too.

It’s a great fun watch, and summer watch I think. With the orange strap. And more versatile on a more demure strap!
Bjørn
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have always thought that there is no way I would buy a DLC cased watch.

However the Unimatic has given me pause for thought - very purposeful, looks rugged and would still look good if it became scratched up from heavy wear.

I think it looks great on that orange strap as well. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

I tried a Unimatic a while back because I loved the aesthetic, but I sold it within a week.

I found the case really uncomfortable and flat, and the crown and bezel actions were poor and felt so cheap for what was ultimately a £700 watch.

It's a shame because I still think it looks great, but so many watches for £700 and below do it so much better.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

nbg wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm I have always thought that there is no way I would buy a DLC cased watch.

However the Unimatic has given me pause for thought - very purposeful, looks rugged and would still look good if it became scratched up from heavy wear.

I think it looks great on that orange strap as well. :thumbup:

Neil
Neither did I, but I have to say it works great. The all black colour gives it a very different and modern vibe.
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:38 pm I tried a Unimatic a while back because I loved the aesthetic, but I sold it within a week.

I found the case really uncomfortable and flat, and the crown and bezel actions were poor and felt so cheap for what was ultimately a £700 watch.

It's a shame because I still think it looks great, but so many watches for £700 and below do it so much better.
I’m surprised to hear you found it uncomfortable and the crown and bezel action poor. For me it wears like any other watch of the same size and height, and I find the bezel very tight with no play, and the winding to be smooth.
Bjørn