Managing Single-Handed - the MeisterSinger Metris reviewed in depth

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Managing Single-Handed - the MeisterSinger Metris reviewed in depth

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sunrise, or thereabouts. Somewhere around the Mediterranean, or maybe the Canary Islands, or somewhere similar. Having woken naturally you decide that it’s about time to get up, probably. Make a coffee, drink it on the balcony in your bathrobe, shower and mosey on down to breakfast at some point.

After a leisurely breakfast you decide it’s quite likely time for a walk. Maybe meet up with a couple of fellow travellers in the lobby (about 10 o’clock, okay?), stroll along beside the sea, and eventually find a nice little café where you can spend an hour (give or take) people-watching, chatting or perusing a book while sipping a couple of coffees.

Amble on a bit. Maybe look at a couple of shops, visit something interesting or just sit and look at the sea for half an hour or so. Time for lunch? Maybe. Not too hungry but perhaps a small beer (or a large one) with a sandwich or a few sardines.

Meander back to hotel. About time for a siesta? Why not? Read a book and doze somewhere shady...it’s now in the region of mid-afternoon, probably time for a couple of hours on the sun lounger with a few refreshing dips in the pool. The sun is getting lower, arguably around time to shower, get ready and saunter down some time between 7 o’clock and 7:30 for a G&T with fellow-guests.

Dinner? About 8 o’clock. Don’t worry, they’ll call us. Lovely food and wine and, goodness me it’s nearly 10 o’clock or thereabouts. Drift out for a couple of nightcaps, or nurse a brandy in the hotel bar, then it’s off to bed at some point and do it all again tomorrow!

F955D44A-1EF8-4DA9-9694-8DD170FB66BF.jpeg

Such, in a nutshell, is a typical day on an AVO holiday. There are days with outings of course, and various indoor entertainments during the Christmas holidays. But basically that’s it. And before you ask, no I don’t get bored; I have a VERY high boredom threshold.

Now, you will doubtless have noticed quite a few verbs, adverbs and phrases that seem to indicate a certain lack of haste, and of precision as regards the time. That is purely intentional, of course, because in an ideal holiday world (it hasn’t happened recently and goodness knows when it will!) all timing will be courtesy of my new and wonderfully exciting MeisterSinger Metris.

5E728F23-2238-407F-9CDC-0A18E73CD6A3.jpeg

Exciting, do I hear you say? It seems something of a contradiction in terms; how can a watch that doesn’t appear to do anything be such fun? There is no seconds hand to gawp at as it sweeps majestically around, there are no functions to play with like you get on a chronograph, there are no bezels to twirl. Dammit, the thing is so apparently accurate that you don’t even need to adjust the time every couple of days. You just wear it. It’s a bit like having a medieval* quartz without the annoying tick.

But it is doing something. It is telling the time, and seemingly rather well as it happens. It’s just that you don’t really see it happening. That is because, as I recorded elsewhere, each minute of the day (or rather of the 12 hour period) takes up half a degree of arc. Each beat of the balance wheel propels the hand (or should we call it a pointer?) 1/960 of a degree. That, of course, is the same as the hour hand on any conventional watch. But the difference is, that is all you get. That, and a Cyclopean date at 6 o’clock (early dinner with Polyphemus’ sister? She’s a man-eater! You should see her when she goes clubbing).

So, without going over too much old ground, I had been thinking for a couple of years about the so-called Exit Watch. You know, the one that signals the end of your watch buying career? I had gone along for some time with the idea of a Rolex Explorer 1, and made some enquiries with the local AD. Then I went quiet on it for a long time, and with me that’s generally a sign that it isn’t right. With retirement now a matter of weeks away, I had almost stopped thinking about it, especially with the onset of the current situation. A piece of what I can only call serendipity brought the right watch into the frame at the right time. A cool blue MeisterSinger with 200 m WR, available through the CW website. The rest, as they say...

2228B0FE-D626-4444-B4BC-5F1B1D0CCC14.jpeg

So, after a little more than three weeks, how does it shape up? Overall, very well indeed, I think. As far as I can tell the timekeeping is superb. I set the watch to the nearest five minute mark on the day I received it, 13th May, and haven’t had to adjust it since. Every time I check it against time.is or my RC bedside clock the hand lines up exactly with the five-minute marker. This was today...

A83DDF6D-EE08-4ADB-A481-115C67477AFC.jpeg

It becomes quite easy to tell the time to within a couple of minutes. Let's say the hand is pointing pretty squarely at the 0910 mark. I can be fairly sure that it's between 0909 and 0911. If it's in the middle of that and the next marker then it's 0912 or 0913. I've checked this against the clock and it works.

I know Cyclopes are a bit of a Marmite subject. I like the Cyclops on this watch and I appreciate being able to see the date easily. Not much point in having the date if I need to put my reading glasses on to see it.

Setting and winding? A bit difficult to say. I set it on the day I got it, gave it a few winds, stuck it on my wrist and haven't touched the crown since. It has been on the wrist or on the winder so it hasn't stopped. Another new owner said the crown was a bit stiff and hard to screw back in. I didn't really notice that.

Living with the watch? Well, it's quite light and comfortable to wear. The supplied denim strap is fine, and I've also been wearing it on a nice Billybelt woven elastic strap with QR pins. I intend to get a Hirsch Performance strap, but there's no hurry as holidays are on hold.

A24765CC-1020-4BB5-9E7F-2E24C5333224.jpeg

Visually, it's rather a beautiful thing...IMHO. The dial is a dark shade of blue and contrasts nicely with the attractive light blue numerals. The double-digit Arabic numerals are a signature feature of MeisterSinger. I wasn’t really sure about them at first but I think they are such an integral part of the design and they fit in beautifully. The hand or pointer is long and tapers to a fine point so that it can easily be seen against the five minute divisions on the track. The fact that it is white gives excellent contrast and I also like the simple counterbalance.

Lume is...OK. It is very bright at first especially after a zap with an LED torch, but after a little while it is certainly no Seiko Monster. It remains just about readable into the wee hours. Being kind, I will refer to it as gentle lume. Actually, it’s not a big deal for me; I sleep with a night light on - always have.

AF365D62-C0F6-4F90-B5CA-122EF8F7B820.jpeg
A33830E5-DC1D-4504-B8D8-E4C7BE12182C.jpeg

One thing that I find very slightly irritating is the fact that the cyclops induces a distortion and parallax error on part of the pointer between about 5:30 and 6:30. Again, not a big deal. And the final thing that is not a big deal either is that the watch is quite reflective and therefore difficult to photograph, as well as the crystal being a bit of a fingerprint magnet.

A44F1383-B4CF-461E-AD22-D1B9AD1A3B85.jpeg

The case is absolutely terrific. I love the rather elegant curve on the main part of the case that sweeps down into the integrated lugs. The contrast between brushed and polished surfaces adds an extra dimension and the way that the case and lugs are integrated reminds one a little of the cushion cases of the 1970s, most of which which I’m not so keen on, but in a much more restrained and subtle way. The crown guards and crown provide a really smooth surface if you run your finger over them. Finally, the caseback has an embossed logo, but the central portion that carries this is recessed so it doesn’t imprint on your wrist!

021A42A0-1627-4A62-9004-EB19EA9AA45B.jpeg
BA33A7D2-CFEB-4707-95B1-618631ED0C95.jpeg
04AF9D80-F2D0-4EB5-8144-F3FFF28C78D0.jpeg

This is most definitely not a watch for work, because I have to follow a timetable and at various points in the day I give my pupils short timed activities to do. This is where the wonderful Speedmaster comes into its own! Although on a nice subtle strap the Metris could fulfil a dress watch role reasonably well, it’s not for that either – for that I have the Tank. As a casual, holiday and leisure watch, especially fitted to a good waterproof strap, it’s exactly what the doctor ordered.

*Earlier I mentioned Medieval. I used to have the lovely Nomos Tangente, which I wore when I felt the need for calm and balance. I referred to it as “J.S. Bach for the wrist”...very Palladian. This one is more Hildegard of Bingen, which is quite appropriate in a way. It’s so cool it gets frost on it...I love it.

Thanks for reading.

4C9FA699-47B0-47DB-9852-CFD99D1C286A.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Managing Single-Handed - the MeisterSinger Metris reviewed in depth

Post by jkbarnes »

This might be the best review (dare I say post!) I’ve read on this forum. It hits on all cylinders. Wonderful description of the watch. And more importantly, a wonderful description of what makes it perfect for you and the lifestyle you’ll be transitioning into.

Speaking of which, your idea of a holiday sounds absolutely delightful! Exactly what I want in a holiday.

You’ve also convinced me that a one-hander is the perfect watch for traveling. I had, until now, considered a GMT the watch I wanted as a travel watch. But as your review made me realize, a GMT function would be superfluous to how I choose to live while on holiday. If at the end of the day a watch is a tool, then a GMT is not the tool for me while traveling.

Thank you for a wonderful read! Enjoy your impending retirement. I’ll be joining you in four short years...hopefully!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:22 pm This might be the best review (dare I say post!) I’ve read on this forum. It hits on all cylinders. Wonderful description of the watch. And more importantly, a wonderful description of what makes it perfect for you and the lifestyle you’ll be transitioning into.

Speaking of which, your idea of a holiday sounds absolutely delightful! Exactly what I want in a holiday.
Thank you so much, Andrew. As you may well imagine, I really enjoyed writing it. Especially the holiday description! :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Superb review, many thanks for sharing.
I have always fancied one, the whole ethos is interesting to me.
One drawback in my case is reading the time without me goggles on...
On a normal watch I can just about work it out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks for a a refreshing review Steve. :thumbup:

It was most certainly a wonderful read and flowed right into the aspects of the watch. I don't think I have ever enjoyed reading a review so much.

You have outdone yourself my friend. :clap:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:46 pm.
Thanks for reading.
Thank you for writing, Steve.

As others have observed a wonderfully written literary review of a mechanical object. :clap:

A great watch, although one I don't quite think I would ever get around to owning; my C8 Regulator brings me near enough to the (almost) one hand ethos and, even though I'm retired, I do very much still like to know exactly what time it is. :lol:

Enjoy your Metris, retirement and your next holiday (assuming you will be able to take one).

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Great review Steve. While the only single-hander I've owned is the cheap and cheerful Luch, I agree that they are the perfect watch for days where "ish" time is good enough, whether it's a beach vacation, or a lazy day around the house.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Excellent review Steve, I think you managed to take us all away with you on a lazy, relaxing holiday whilst reading the first part of the review (might be the closest we get this summer :( ).

The watch looks really good too, the case especially has some interesting curves.

It seems a perfect watch for you and your impending retirement.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

What a great Sunday morning read! Thanks for your detailed watch review/ lifestyle report. I love reading reviews where people describe what the watch ‘means’ to them as well as describing the watch itself. Not every watch we buy will have this much attached narrative but in this case it’s a great story well told :D :clap:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia

You are very kind, lovely people! :D
Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:52 am I think you managed to take us all away with you on a lazy, relaxing holiday whilst reading the first part of the review (might be the closest we get this summer :( ).
I wasn’t exaggerating at all, Patrick. My holidays really are like that. For years now I have been going with a singles company. Breakfast is a movable feast, you do what you want all day, and then you meet up for drinks and dinner in the evening. That photo was taken in a small hotel in Turkey that the company took over for the entire season – no families, no kids! Wonderful holiday.
Steve

kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Enjoyed reading that on wet Sunday morning :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I enjoyed reading that. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Having never considered a single hander, I am now convinced they make perfect sense in the right circumstances, bravo.

Cool!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

An eloquently written tale; an enjoyable way to pass a few minutes.

However, as you probably appreciate I’m also somewhat biased about the Metris. It’s a fascinating design, not just the dial but also the case with its curvaceous shape and a beguiling range of polished and brushed surfaces. I’m currently going through a range of NATO’s for mine as summer accessories and am seriously considering a shark mesh bracelet for a fully blinged look.
Tim
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks for the review, Steve. I enjoyed reading it.

I've come to the conclusion that these single-hand watches are best enjoyed by the romantics amongst us - and that probably counts me out. :D
Richard