Have I “Finally” Cracked the Perfect Trio?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Have I “Finally” Cracked the Perfect Trio?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s an old favourite topic; it comes up every so often, mostly in the form of a question: “What Would Be Your Perfect Three Watch Collection?” Sorry to revive it yet again. :oops:

It is a question I have frequently asked myself over the last couple of years, since I mooted the idea of looking for an Exit Watch. Several ideas for that passed through my head, including a stainless steel sports Rolex (Explorer) and something classy and vintage from the Vacheron-Constantin stable. The actual result, if indeed Exit Watch it be, came as something of a surprise. Nonetheless, I am absolutely delighted with it as you have probably realised, and the question once again raised its head.

Now, let me make it plain, I have no intention of reducing my collection down to three! There may well be some diminution, selling off of things no longer worn, but one or two other pieces will be retained. However, considering the question of whether or not I could live with just these three, my answer would be emphatically YES.

8BFB38CE-69B0-4B5C-B043-A20B3C46F8F0.jpeg

Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch

Without question the sine qua non of my collection. A precious memento piece that I had always wanted to own, finally purchased from money inherited from my mother, who passed away in 2017 and, for that reason alone, utterly irreplaceable. A robust, honest, useful everyday wearer with a distinct touch of class that derives in no small measure from its unique place in human history...it rather helps that space exploration, and especially the Apollo missions, is a passion of mine. If I could have only one watch, this would be it. It has been worn far more than any other watch I own from the day I had it. It is incredibly useful at work, but I can’t see my impending retirement in anyway relegating it to the box. It may take more of a turn, but it will still be worn very frequently.

Cartier Tank Solo XL

Another dream piece for me, and another memento, bought this time from the estate of a dear uncle who passed a year before my mother. For that reason alone, its place would not be negotiable, but there’s far more to it. I always wanted a Cartier, to my way of thinking the epitome of elegance and style, though not everyone’s cup of tea, I acknowledge. I put this one on yesterday after more than a week untouched on the winder, and it was two seconds fast. Not just beautiful, but phenomenally precise. My perfect dress watch, but equally at home with shorts and T-shirt.

Meistersinger Metris

Well, I’ve only had it a week so it’s very much the new kid on the block. But I am so impressed. It has been mainly on the wrist since I got it, and having been set last Wednesday appears absolutely spot-on to the correct minute. Difficult to tell of course, because it’s a very different type of watch. I have tried several options with 200m or better WR for a general holiday, travel and leisure watch, including GMT. But I have concluded that this gives me absolutely everything I really need. I have finally found something that actually annoys me about it, and you can see it in the photo. Between about 5:40 and 6:20 the hand passes over the date window and under the cyclops, giving a weird looking magnification and parallax error. no worries, I can live with that! :lol:

So, about that reduction of collection. Well, I have time to think about it but I can see it coming down to these three, a couple of my favourite vintage pieces and a couple of other things like the C70s, which are just such fun to wear occasionally.

Perfect threesome or not? Well, we’re all different of course but I have a strong feeling that this is going to fit the bill nicely for me. All thoughts welcome. Thanks for reading.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Have I “Finally” Cracked the Perfect Trio?

Post by Wis »

A superb trio indeed Steve, and one that covers all ‘needs’. I have come to realize that what I really like are watches with a strong ‘personality’ and striking yet simple design, and it seems you do too.

I really can’t see how you could tire of that trio!
Bjørn
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

A lovely trio indeed, if a tad monochromatic. I always saw you as a colourful chap.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Wis wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:39 pm I have come to realize that what I really like are watches with a strong ‘personality’ and striking yet simple design, and it seems you do too.
That’s a great way to put it!

Wonderful trio, Steve. You’ve got all the essential bases covered, with the added benefit of some strong sentimental value.
Drew
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

A fascinating proposition Steve. I’m also finding myself circulating around a core of watches that could be counted on the fingers of one hand 🖐

Now it may just be the interesting times that we’re living through but I’m also presently intrigued and enchanted by my Metris. I can tell the time to within 5 minutes by a glance and if required to within 1-2 minutes with a little more focus - who really needs more than that.
Tim
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A great three watches. The Speedy and Tank are classics of course but I do like the concept of ish time and the watch fits perfectly with your upcoming retirement and taking things a little easier.

I'm sure we should all be able to get by with a selection of three great watches to wear, you would think....maybe one day!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

They look great together. I think a trio have to complement each other, and these do that very well.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Steve, I think that three is about the perfect number. It gives you the chance to cover different options while still ensuring that they all have a chance of getting a decent amount of wear.
That is a great trio you have put together and should certainly do the job in style without any others needed. Personally the Meistersinger is probably not for me but as a retirement watch when 'ish' is more than good enough it could be the perfect choice.
I have been aiming to get to a maximum of three for ages but after trying god only know how many excellent watches I have clearly failed! With my newly arrived black bay 58 I now believe that I have found my perfect three in the bb58, JLC reverso and 16570 explorer ii. I may very well go with these three and list the other three (omega RM/lld36/bronze oris) up in sales corner and hop off the roundabout.

So yes 3 is the perfect number and your three are crackers :thumbup:
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Cracking trio bud, will the newbie take a dunking when on hols?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Maybe I have to start pondering what the perfect collection should be. I think I have been pretty disciplined, but I am vaguely feeling that I have too many, probably caused by reluctance to let unworn watches move on if I like them, which of course I do, having bought them because I liked them in the first place.

However, I am not going to let it pressurise me. 8)
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

stefs wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:09 am With my newly arrived black bay 58 I now believe that I have found my perfect three in the bb58, JLC reverso and 16570 explorer ii.
If I had to live with three, those would do very nicely.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

golfjunky wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:47 am Cracking trio bud, will the newbie take a dunking when on hols?
That is the idea, Greg. Ordering a Hirsch Tiger strap for it, like the one on my blue Mako. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Fantastic trio, Steve.

For me, the Moonwatch, yes, the Tank, yes - but not sure my OCD can deal with 'ish!

If I was looking to limit the box to three to cover off all eventualities (can't see it happening though!) I would go for a chronograph, a diver and a dress watch. I have the first two as grails, just need a grail dress watch and I'm covered.

I'm drawn to a Reverso or a Cellini Time (which would make the three all Rolex) but no doubt my eye will be drawn to others.

So why am I lusting after a couple of chronos? My wife says I'm beyond help and I think I agree with her.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Elegant.

Does the Tank still get a lot of wrist time, now that it’s been a while?
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A complimentary trio Steve. Different brands, functions and colours. It is also in many ways a bonus that two of the three were purchased to celebrate and remember the lives of loved ones. Watches with meaning that will never be sold. :thumbup:

Not sure I will ever go down the route of sticking with three main watches, as I have had enough difficulty with a thought process that reduces the core number to seven. Even then that is seven excluding a few that were purchased to mark specific events, never to be sold, but not worn enough to make the top seven.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK