dan1983
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Forever watch...

Post by dan1983 »

Hi all

A little scene setting..

We recently welcomed into the world our second daughter which means I’m the proud father of two girls one 2 1/2 and one 3 months. We’ve also just moved to our forever home so it’s safe to say the last few months have been slightly hectic.

I’m already fortunate enough to own a Breitling Colt which my wife bought me as a wedding gift in 2015 but now to celebrate our daughters is like to purchase a watch that along with the Breitling I’ll cherish forever.

Whilst the Breitling was quite expensive I’m a believer you don’t need to spend thousands on something - this is more about sentimental value to me.

So where I need some help is narrowing down what I could be looking at. I’be set a fairly modest budget of £1000 and below are what I think are my basic requirements

Size will need to be 38mm, 40mm max. I’m back training and the weight has fallen off so have quite small wrists.

Strap wise open to leather or steel - I’m fussy and like watches to fit with no play so something that has lots of adjustments

Movement if possible to be automatic

Not adverse to a diver style (I’m tempted by the mk3 trident) but also really like the simplicity of something like a c9 5 day automatic

Needs to be reasonably sturdy - maybe that rules out the c9! As will need to put up with general day to day use

I’m not wedded to any specific brand - hence the ask for some help opening my eyes to many other choices that you knowledgable folk will know more than I

Many thanks in advance

Dan
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Forever watch...

Post by atnits »

Loads of possibilities. I'll just suggest one: Speedbird PRS-22

kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Dan, are you looking at pre owned as well?
dan1983
Senior
Senior

Post by dan1983 »

Yes sorry should have said - notadverse to pre owned
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

May be a bit on the big side, but look no further than the sales corner, Neil’s Damasko, would be all over that if I wasn’t so skint :(
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

Sinn 556 at 38.5mm is a fabulous thin, wear anywhere tool watch. As a wild card, consider the anordain model 2. 36mm, but would wear bigger. The dials look stunning.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

kiter65 wrote:May be a bit on the big side, but look no further than the sales corner, Neil’s Damasko, would be all over that if I wasn’t so skint :(
Not on the big side at all.

40mm case, albeit with 42mm bezel, but short lugs ensure that on a strap it wears small. That aside its pretty indestructible and a bargain.

The above said, as I was ready through the initial post, I got to think of a C60 Trident Mk3, 38mn or 40mm, on bracelet (plenty of adjustment) but then you came to the same suggestion yourself.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

The Hamilton Khaki Field is a classic watch and comes in a 38mm SS case..
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch ... gK4X_D_BwE
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve been singing the praises of the C65 Trident Vintage since I joined this forum. It checks a great number of your boxes. Simple, elegant, and with a strap change, incredibly versatile. Mine is currently on a bracelet. I’ve got a preference for the older model with the crown guards, but that just me. And mine is definitely a forever watch, as it was given to me as a wedding gift from my wife.
9CD14988-42BD-43AA-A93D-8C49F191A04B.jpeg
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I’m with Guy, i would encourage an iconic and timeless dive watch which meets ALL your usage criteria.

My suggestion is the C60 Mk3 in 40mm. Your tough decisions will be on dial colour (remember red bezel is no longer available after they sell it out) and whether you fancy the GMT complication as IMO it adds an intriguing look to the dial.

Advantage of CW is warranty from new and you could order both C60 and C60 GMT together, then decide at home and return the other for full refund.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

There are some people with great taste on here, since my first two thoughts were the Speedbird (still one of my favourites, even after 7 years) and the Sinn 556 (the watch I would own if I didn't have and love the Speedbird).
Another great option would be a pre-owned Seamaster Professional mid-size. I may be biased as I own one, but the pre co-axial SMP's can be had for very reasonable prices, and they seem to be increasing somewhat in value now, so I think they will probably retain value going forward, although this doesn't sound like a big concern for you.

For something dressier in a three-hander there are some great options from Hamilton, Tissot and Oris. The Tudor 1926 is a fantastic watch, and I think it's a good value, but it's above your budget at 1400GBP. My choice in a classy casual three hander (that would dress up nicely on leather) would be the Seiko SARX055 "Baby Snowflake". Titanium case and bracelet, hacking and handwinding 6R15 movement, 40.8mm case. Slightly larger than your ideal, but worth a look I'd say. Creation Watches currently has it for 898 GBP.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Forever watch...

Post by 0uatiOW »

The Zelos Mako is a great 40mm every day wear. They’re mostly sold out but regularly turn up used. The V3 turned a little more modern with a new range of dials, but for me, the V2 is the best of the lot. I have the V1 in bronze; the crown is a smidgen too small, and this was improved on the V2 by adding 1mm to the crown and by all accounts was a vast improvement.

My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Oris 65, wears modestly and some deals to be had.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
dan1983
Senior
Senior

Post by dan1983 »

Thank you everyone for your replies - this has given me lots of different options to research but also helped me realise what I do and do not like.

As we enter into these defining days and weeks I have plenty of time to look in great detail at some of these options.

Thanks again!

Dan
dan1983
Senior
Senior

Post by dan1983 »

Thank you again for those of you that replied here. I thought I’d update if anyone is interested in what I am currently looking at:

39mm black dial Longines hydroconquest
39mm steinhart ocean one
38mm mk3 trident or the slightly larger C65 GMT

any thoughts or opinions from owners of the Longines or steinhart as a comparison would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan