Single-handed 24 hour watch

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Single-handed 24 hour watch

Post by Noush »

I'm interested in everybody's observations (at least those who want to make them....)

I saw a video from a few years ago of a Slow automatic watch. Exhibition case-back with a decorated 2893 in the back, beating away at 28,800 vph, not a lot going on in front :). Struck by a kind of sense of the ridiculous.
There's a number of one-hand 24 hour watches about but usually quartz, I've mostly stumbled over them on Ebay. There's a weird fascination with them, but....

Are they: 1. Wrist adornment or are they watches? 2: Toys or timepieces? 3. A reminder that life is all a bit moment-stressed or simply pointless?

A conventional-but-24 hour watch like say Glycine is known for makes sense to me, in fact I'd like one. But a one-hander.....
Thoughts?
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Single-handed 24 hour watch

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s just another way to tell the time. I have never had a 24 hour dial in my collection, but I used to have a single hand 12 hour watch. With a little practice you can tell the time instantly to the nearest couple of minutes. I used to wear it quite a lot on holiday when it really wasn’t necessary to know the time to the exact minute and second. I used to call it my “ISH” watch.

Breakfast o’clock-ish
Beer o’clock-ish and so on.

Stress free.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Misterchrono »

Meistersinger.

No other.
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Qubo »

Meistersinger indeed. They only do one-handers. Nowadays also one with a jumping hour so the single hand can track the minutes as "usual". They make for a great timepiece and outstanding conversation piece. I have my Meistersinger with a blue dial for sale in the Sales corner - decided that 43mm is too big for me. I will for sure get another one - smaller version with a date.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Qubo »

This one is in the Sales corner.Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Although I do still have a cheap one hander, I think they're just a gimmick really. They don't even have to be particularly accurate, and that coupled with a difficulty in reading the time (I know you can, but it's not 'right') makes them just another mechanical bracelet for me.
There's always time for one more.
nurunet
CW-watches: 0

Post by nurunet »

Meistersinger surely is a brand to look at. I also heard good things about the Botta Uno, but find them a bit plain.

That said, I kind of like the idea of the one-hander. If you do not need to tell the time to the second (and anyway I can use my smartphone for that), I think they are good enough and can look rather nice.

My only practical experience is with a cheap Belorussian "Luch" though, and that one was not accurate at all.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Defakto-watches makes some nice looking 1 handed, 12 hour watches. It is a one man shop, but tied into the Ickler family in Phorzheim, so the cases should be very good.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Well, I didn't know these even existed, nor do I feel any more enriched for knowing they do. Imo...kind of pointless, or handless even. Call me old fashioned, but I do like to see a minimum of two hands on a watch dial. Don't think I could even accommodate a jumping hour.

Analogy: A bike looks and functions really well with two wheels, each performing a valid role, as well as completing the overall aesthetic. Choosing one wheel means that one has to pull a permanent wheelie, or source a unicycle. The question remains the same, why? :lol: :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

strapline wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 pm Analogy: A bike looks and functions really well with two wheels, each performing a valid role, as well as completing the overall aesthetic. Choosing one wheel means that one has to pull a permanent wheelie, or source a unicycle. The question remains the same, why? :lol: :lol:
Unicycles are fun to ride and get you noticed :D :D
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Victor88
Senior
Senior

Post by Victor88 »

I have a MeisterSinger Metris; 38mm but wears slightly larger, screw down crown and 200m water resistance. Great for days when you’re not running on a schedule or require a minute to minute reference; in other words a perfect holiday watch.
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I'd definitely say Meistersinger is a 'brand to watch' for CW enthusiasts. . . :silent:
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

We've got a Luch single-hander somewhere, hand winding 12 hour dial.

At the price it was worth a try.

In fact I know exactly where it is, milady claimed it so it rests alongside one or two other "on loan" watches in her personal strong room.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Hand-Luc ... SwyltZORLR
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ I had one of those for a year or two, Pete. It was doing the rounds as a charity auction or prize item. I got it from Jeff (Konketsu) and passed it on to Lindsey (missF). I don’t know whether she still has it.

I must admit that in these recent strange times, when knowing the exact time has seemed somewhat peripheral, I have developed an unforeseen fancy for a Meistersinger.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm ^^^ I had one of those for a year or two, Pete. It was doing the rounds as a charity auction or prize item. I got it from Jeff (Konketsu) and passed it on to Lindsey (missF). I don’t know whether she still has it.

I must admit that in these recent strange times, when knowing the exact time has seemed somewhat peripheral, I have developed an unforeseen fancy for a Meistersinger.
I used to laugh at those silly watches which have a DAY complication but now..... you know the rest.

Henceforth DAY watches will be praised for having the Social Isolation Complication :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands