Hamilton Khaki King Scuba(H645150) Joins the Herd....

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Hamilton Khaki King Scuba(H645150) Joins the Herd....

Post by Thunder1 »

Well, I've had an itch to acquire this now out of production Khaki King Scuba for some time now. It was available 10 to 12 years ago when I first started collecting, but something else always got in the way to prevent me from picking one up. I don't think it was ever a big seller for Hamilton, but I've never forgotten about it. And at this time in my life(see what I did there!!), it'll find a comfortable home to roost at.

Yes, it is the personification of the ubiquitous 'desk diver'. The day of the week window at the 12 o'clock & the day of the month window at the 6 o'clock positions attest to that moniker. As does the less than over-powering lume(some on the hands, tiny dots at the indices). But, that is what I bought it for..a general knock around, casual wear watch w/ a proven movement(an ETA 2834-2) from an established maker(Hamilton).

You know, the watch has a few shortcomings that are no secret to the WIS world. Aside from the weak lume, there is no AR coating on the slightly domed sapphire crystal, which allows for glare to be an issue from time to time(again, see what I did there?). And the 2 sub-dials, coupled w/the larger numeric indices at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions, contribute to a slightly 'cluttered' look. But I like it!!

The SS case measures 41mm in width and it is about 13.75mm tall. So, this is not a thin watch, at all. The signed crown screws down and the lug width is 20mm. It come on a nice SS bracelet, but I would have preferred that it tapered a bit closer to the clasp ala the Oris 65 bracelet. The black aluminum bezel turns easily & isn't out of alignment. I picked it up fishing on the 'bay for a little under $400.00.

So far, so good. And without further ado, a couple of pics..
Hamilton Khaki King Scuba(1).JPG
Hamilton Khaki King Scuba(2).JPG
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Hamilton Khaki King Scuba(H645150) Joins the Herd....

Post by Lavaine »

Great addition. This one has always been on the periphery of my radar. If the opportunity presented itself for the right price, I'd definitely try one. It shares a lot more of the Khaki Field design asthetic, and I prefer it to the newer Khaki Navy Scuba.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I can see the appeal, really like that. I have a Khaki Field Auto myself and for sure Hamilton does this slightly cluttered but still easy-to-read-the-time thing really well. Not generally a fan of day complications but the 12 O'clock full display has a certain Don Draper-esque "charm".
Good pickup!
The more time I spend here, the more I learn.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That looks like an excellent acquisition Chuck. Classic Hamilton look in a diver case with useful day date too. It seems to be in good condition too.

The only issue I see, how will you get by with 100m WR. I get nervous leaving the house with anything less than 300m these days :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Thanx guys!!..and good luck hunting to each & all!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..