Three Vintage Speedmasters (One a New Arrival)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Please note, the narrative covers three models and continues past the several sets of photos.

Of the six Speedmasters that I own, three of them are what are, generally speaking, considered vintage models. They were made in 1969, 1974 and 1979. Not one of them is a moon watch, although I do own a couple of those. If I’m counting all of my Omega chronographs, I can add two to that number, a De Ville and a Constellation; neither of them qualify as vintage.

So the three vintage Speedys. A 1969 Mark II, a 1974 TV Dial, and a 1979 Mark 4.5 (the newest arrival). All have an interesting history to me; the Mark II was Omega’s (perhaps) planned successor to the classic moon watch cased models, running the 861 hand wound movement. Virtually the same dial configuration, but with a classy looking hidden lug tonneau case. Except ... when they were submitted to NASA for testing, NASA preferred the hesalite crystals fitted to the moon watch - virtually no chance of one shattering leaving dangerous shards of glass floating around inside the craft. So the moon watch stayed in production. Yay!

My example has the original dial and hands with some lovely patina on the dial. The case has had the scratches removed and has been refinished, but certainly nowhere near Omega’s standards. The crisp edges have been rounded off and the radial case finish is brushed rather than machined, but all in all it’s not bad. It is however, something I’d probably like to have attended to ... at some time.
(text continues below the pictures)

Skip a decade to 1979. Omega had subsequently released the Mark III, a very tall watch that even I don’t think I’d care to own. Looks fabulous from straight on, but from the side, any side, it looks like a small, flat topped volcano... 17mm thick and looks every bit of it from the side on views. Perhaps widespread feelings about the “ugly duckling” led to the introduction of the Mark IV.

At a quick glance the case is virtually the same as the Mark II. Yes both were hidden lug tonneau cases, but the Mark IV has a raised polished bezel that hides a real party trick. That bezel is really the top part of an inner case, that houses the movement and can be pushed out of the tonneau case (you must push from the front to the back and it’s quite tightly fitted with rubber retaining rings). This inner case is what provides the water resistance. The lug width went from 20mm on the Mark II to 22mm on the IV, but the case size increased by only 0.4mm. The movement inside was the 1040, a two register chronograph (at 6 and 9, so not a bi-compax layout). Omega discontinued the Mark IV after not too long; I’ve heard that it may have had to do with supply issues for the 1040 movement.

If that’s true, Omega did what most companies do; they made use of the remaining stock of MkII cases and released it as a new watch with a different movement; this one however, was not labelled as a “Mark”. It was simply called the Speedmaster Automatic, model number 176.0012. They used a movement they had previously used in a Speedmaster (more on that shortly) and slotted in the Calibre 1045 - known to the rest of the world as the Lemania 5100; a true workhorse movement, but sadly, no oil painting. The older hand wound Lemanias used as the basis for the 321 and 861 were lovely to look at, but the automatic 1045 was a fairly uninspiring looking movement, but it had the valuable asset of being as tough as nails... The 1045 had three registers at 6, 9 and 12 - it appears similar to a Valjoux 7750 in layout - but for one interesting difference. There are two central chronograph hands - second and minutes. You read the elapsed time (up to a hour) just as you would tell the time. It’s only between 1 and 12 hours that you need to refer to a sub-dial.

This resurrected Mark IV simply became known to everyone outside of Omega as the Mark 4.5, a name that has stuck to this day. This one arrived yesterday and it recently had the full Omega Bienne treatment, so apart from one or two small marks, it’s quite like new. That service included a service dial and handset, so it’s quite a contrast to the MkII in that respect.

I mentioned that the 1045 movement was previously used in a Speedmaster - one of them was this 1974 TV dial. There was also a more conventional round dial, but this was the one that always caught my attention. It departed from Speedmaster conventions in several ways. It ditched the traditional black dial in favour of a steel grey-blue one; it was an automatic (the 1045/5100); and of course it had the very 1970s TV shaped case and dial. This instance is in really, really nice condition, having been recently serviced by Omega, leaving the dial untouched, but benefiting from the usual case and bracelet refinishing service ... and a new set of hands (I can live with that).

These models have links to one another; not necessarily in chronological order, but they tie together to form what I, at least, find to be an interesting story. Here are some side by side shots of the new arrival next to the two models that contributed, in some small part, to its existence.

Mark II & IV

[Image

Mark II & TV

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Three Vintage Speedmasters (One a New Arrival)

Post by Soporsche »

:thumbup: Thanks for an interesting read/pics and history of these models.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Lovely write up, Gary. The Mk II and Mk 4.5 are great but not even your way with words can convince me that I like the TV dial. Thanks for posting this, it was as fascinating as ever.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Three gorgeous vintage Speedies. To prove we are all different though, I think the TV dial is my favourite of the three :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

An excellent read with the morning coffee, Gary! You really show your love and appreciation for these watches. I could’ve sworn you had more than six, though. :shock:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Great write up Gary. :thumbup:

TV dial is my favourite. :)

I have always been a 3, 6, 9 only for the layout of three sub dial chronographs. However I would break that rule for that TV dial speedy.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Excellent post thank you!!

I confess to enjoying a couple of Mark II, a 4, a 4.5 and a 5 myself and they are very enjoyable to wear, even, as with your example, the non-English market day wheel. I go through phases of thinking that I prefer the Seamaster chrono range and should let the Speedmasters go; fortunately that urge self-supresses and the reality is that I treat my Seamasters as a bit more rugged and "go anywhere".

The TV dial I have yet to take the plunge on but I salute its 70's appeal. The mark 5 which I love for the profile of the bracelet (of all things!!) is a very slim item and is therefore the epitome of "stealth".

I think you should try the tall Mark 3: I have Flightmaster which has a similarly tall case - but not the same case - but to tell the truth I'm really quite anxious about marking the sunburst finish so that it is very much a "gentle days of inactivity" watch.

(If this becomes a thread with show and tell photos I'll come back and add photos.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:An excellent read with the morning coffee, Gary! You really show your love and appreciation for these watches. I could’ve sworn you had more than six, though. :shock:
I miscounted Steve - I actually have seven. :| I had nine at one point, but when I had my big sell off to raise a deposit for the apartment we’ve recently moved into, I sold six of them (along with quite a few other watches). I kept only the white & blue Broad Arrow, the Gemini LE (tomorrow’s watch choice) and my all time favourite, the Japan Racing LE.

I’ve added the three Speedys in this write up, plus a white and black Japanese LE (not a moonwatch). I’ve also added a De Ville chronograph; kind of a dressy alternative to the normal black Speedmaster, plus a reverse panda Constellation chronograph: it‘s an alternative for my panda Speedy. That brings the Omega chronograph count back to nine, it’s just that they’re not all Speedys this time ‘round. Perhaps one more is needed for an even ten.... but not for quite some time I think. :)
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

tikkathree wrote:I think you should try the tall Mark 3: I have Flightmaster which has a similarly tall case - but not the same case - but to tell the truth I'm really quite anxious about marking the sunburst finish so that it is very much a "gentle days of inactivity" watch.
I actually prefer the Flightmasters to the Mark III Pete. The hooded lugs are longer, curve at the ends and are less steeply sloped than the MkIII, making it, IMO, a much more interesting case & watch.

I too, like the Seamaster chronographs, especially the models with the 1040 movement in them. I did have a gorgeous 37mm Seamaster with an 861 hand wound movement inside, but foolishly sold it. I did get a very good price for it though, as it was close to mint. It’s one I do regret selling though.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

nbg wrote:I have always been a 3, 6, 9 only for the layout of three sub dial chronographs. However I would break that rule for that TV dial speedy.
Thanks Neil As a general rule, I also prefer the 3, 6, 9 layout as well, but I’m quite partial to a 3 & 9 bicompax layout, and I find it hard to resist anything with a Lemania 5100/Omega 1045 inside - I love the dual central chronograph minute/second hands..
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am Three gorgeous vintage Speedies. To prove we are all different though, I think the TV dial is my favourite of the three :)
Same here!!...but all 3 are interesting & well worth collecting..very good writeup & an even better collection!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Extremely enjoyable read, appreciate you posting and the pictures!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy