Tag Heuer love?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Tag Heuer love?

Post by Thegreyman »

Back in the late 1990s and into the 2000s, before I got really into watches, the one brand it seemed to me that a lot of people aspired to was Tag Heuer. I was aware of quite a few guys who maybe got a decent job, or a bonus, and treated themselves to a Tag. I recollect quite a few people I worked beside got one, my former boss had a Monza chrono, there were Monacos, Carrera chronos, Grand Carreras and so on. My brother got a Monza which is still his only watch and daily wearer 20 years later.

Now, certainly in WIS circles, I don't see much love for Tag Heuer, probably viewed as slightly vulgar alongside the more established brands like IWC, Omega, Rolex, Breitling etc. I still think they make some nice watches such as the Aquaracer and I'm assuming they are still commercially successful with the number of AD's about.

For my part, my first "good" watch was a Carrera I got for my 40th birthday, it is the one watch I'd truly never sell. I bought it new on a leather strap with deployant but have always thought about getting a bracelet for it. Anyway I managed to buy one last week, brand new OEM one still in the packaging with all the protective plastic on. I managed to size and fit it quite easily compared to some watches, photos as below.

I previously also owned a Kirium F1 analogue/digital which was a cool watch, but went to partly fund something else.

I wondered what others thoughts are on Tag and how many have been/are owned on the forum.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Tag Heuer love?

Post by willttqs »

My wife has a Carrera similar to that but doesn’t wear it as she has a 36mm DJ. I used to have a Monaco but sold it after a couple of years.

My first proper watch was a tag Heuer aqua racer type watch around 20 years ago
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I've never owned one, and honestly, I can't remember one that really appealed. I did try a Monaco but it looked ridiculous on my wrist (just the wrong shape for my wrist), and there have been a couple of Heuer re-editions I liked, but not enough to part with the cash.

However, never say never.
Richard
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

My wife bought me my 1887 as a wedding gift and I Iove it. It's by far my most admired and treasured watch - several more WIS-worthy have joined it in the collection since (with equally as emotional ties), however if times were hard they'd all leave me long before I'd consider parting with the Tag.

(borrowed image from the internet)
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Funnily enough my first "proper" watch as a TAG Heuer (F1 Ceramic) which was bought as a 50th Birthday present
ImageTAG_Heuer_F1_003 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

I don't really understand the ambivalence towards Tag that seems to prevail in many watch circles, here being no exception.

There seems to be a bit of inverted snobbery towards them whereby they are seen as the brand that people gravitate towards when they want to spend a quite significant amount on a watch but don't really know much about 'proper' watches.

Certainly they produce some pretty garish and tasteless offerings but if that was a universal metric then not many people would buy Rolex!

They also produce some beautiful examples like the one shown in this thread and watches like the Jack Heuer 80th Birthday which I still kick myself for not buying when it was released.

The Autavia releases are especially nice.

My wife has a Tag F1 which is her daily wear - she loves it and, despite the abuse it gets through horses and other out doors activities, has proven to be totally reliable and very resistant to showing wear.

It's a mystery to me, as Toyah once sang.

Cheers,
Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

My first mechanical watch was an Aquaracer I saved up for and bought as a gift to myself for reaching 40. Still have the watch but it doesn’t get that much wear compared to others I now own. I wouldn't sell it though and I still really like the watch.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

TAG Heuer - nah, never real seen any that appeal.

Now Heuer - that’s a different matter altogether. My first good (expensive) watch was an Autavia GMT:
[not my watch, stolen image from web]

I owned this from new for about 35 years. In the end it had so much ‘patina’ that I couldn’t justify getting it restored, which would have cost me nearly 10 x its original purchase price.

Surprisingly I had no trouble selling it and a dealer supplied me my Seamaster, in large part as an exchange for it, another long desired watch that has taken the Autavias place in my affections.

This is the one watch I really regret having sold. It also probably explains why my search for a replacement GMT has continually hit brick walls.
Tim
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Before I really got into watches a few years ago, I would buy a new watch every five to seven years beginning in high school. When I was in my late teens during University in 1986, I purchased the first Tag Heuer Formula 1 (Mercedes hands) from L.L. Bean, of all places. My wife purchased the Formula 1 Series 3 (arabic numerals) for me about 16 years ago, and about 11 years ago I bought the Series 4 Chronograph. I only wear the Series 4 these days, and rarely, but they all hold sentimental value. Now that I know more about watches, I doubt I would buy another Tag Heuer as I don't believe they offer good value for money, generally speaking, but I certainly respect the heritage of Heuer. For those interested in the Formula 1 series, there is a good article on its history here: https://www.calibre11.com/overview-tag-heuer-formula-1/
IMG_2480.jpeg
IMG_2479.jpeg
IMG_2478.jpeg
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:52 pm Back in the late 1990s and into the 2000s, before I got really into watches, the one brand it seemed to me that a lot of people aspired to was Tag Heuer. I was aware of quite a few guys who maybe got a decent job, or a bonus, and treated themselves to a Tag. I recollect quite a few people I worked beside got one, my former boss had a Monza chrono, there were Monacos, Carrera chronos, Grand Carreras and so on. My brother got a Monza which is still his only watch and daily wearer 20 years later.

Now, certainly is WIS circles, I don't see much love for Tag Heuer, probably viewed as slightly vulgar alongside the more established brands like IWC, Omega, Rolex, Breitling etc. I still think they make some nice watches such as the Aquaracer and I'm assuming there are still commercially successful with the number of AD's about.

For my part, my first "good" watch was a Carrera I got for my 40th birthday, it is the one watch I'd truly never sell. I bought it new on a leather strap with deployant but have always thought about getting a bracelet for it. Anyway I managed to buy one last week, brand new OEM one still in the packaging with all the protective plastic on. I managed to size and fit it quite easily compared to some watches, photos as below.

I previously also owned a Kirium F1 analogue/digital which was a cool watch, but went to partly fund something else.

I wondered what others thoughts are on Tag and how many have been/are owned on the forum.

Looks superb on that bracelet, Patrick. Congrats on finding it.
Best regards,
John
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Funny you bring this up as I've spent quite a bit of time looking at Tag recently, although I'm debating the purchase of a ladies Aquaracer for my better half.

Only one that has grabbed my interest so far is the Heuer Cal 6.
If my love affair with the Tangente ever ceases, I will probably try and hunt one down as an alternative.

Congrats on finding a bracelet. Looks good :thumbup:
Ryan
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Tag have never really been on my radar in spite of my god daughter being the manager of Tag Hauer boutigue at one time. I find them a bit of a curate's egg. Some are a bit garish and some with faces that a bit too busy but they have enough in the catalogue to make one or two tempting. They had a very nice fly-back chrono in the line up. Although Tag are responsible for one of the most ugly watches IMHO which is the Monaco.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
Macca

Post by Macca »

Well I love my tags and have a couple Image you’ll find there’s some more serious tag collectors nowadays if you look, I can point you in the direction of some excellent tag people .. here’s a pic just for the sake of it

Macca

Post by Macca »

jtc wrote:If anyone's shopping viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27963&p=798835#p798835
Saw this and bloody tempted!