Tag Heuer love?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Tag Heuer love?

Post by atnits »

I've had a couple of pre-Tag divers, like the one below. A slight similarity to a Sub.

I'd love a vintage Monza:

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

atnits wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:43 pm I'd love a vintage Monza:

Me too! 8) :thumbup:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

timor54 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 pm TAG Heuer - nah, never real seen any that appeal.

Now Heuer - that’s a different matter altogether. My first good (expensive) watch was an Autavia GMT:
[not my watch, stolen image from web]

I owned this from new for about 35 years. In the end it had so much ‘patina’ that I couldn’t justify getting it restored, which would have cost me nearly 10 x its original purchase price.

Surprisingly I had no trouble selling it and a dealer supplied me my Seamaster, in large part as an exchange for it, another long desired watch that has taken the Autavias place in my affections.

This is the one watch I really regret having sold. It also probably explains why my search for a replacement GMT has continually hit brick walls.
Now that is a splendid looking watch. I can see why you are struggling in your search for a modern replacement, if that one keeps coming back into your mind.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Macca

Post by Macca »

Monza is definitely on my shopping list there’s some nice ones out there, even the newer re issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

When, in 2012, I decided to get a 'proper' watch, I was drawn to TAG Heuer, more specifically the Monaco.

I checked one out in the local Ernest Jones and felt it was rather large and somewhat heavy (both of which today, seven years later, I would likely be unconcerned about).

Taking time out to think things through, I discovered Christopher Ward thanks to the watches page of EVO.

Realising that I could buy several CWs for the price of one TAG, I bought two CWs. I've not looked back and not seriously considered buying a TAG since; for no particular reason. Perhaps I should.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Danbailey007 »

I was always drawn to Tags as previously mentioned it seemed to be the go to brand when looking to buy a more expensive brand. As time when on and I looked into watches more I found no models of Tag really appealing and other brands caught my attention more.

One of my work colleagues in the other hand has about a dozen!
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
Macca

Post by Macca »

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Tag Heuer love?

Post by gaf1958 »

patrick, I like the Carrera on the bracelet - a good acquisition IMO.

As to love for Tag Heuer; I have only two at the moment - a Link (one of my favourite series from TH) and a Kirium, but I’ve owned many in the past, a Monin cased 980(?), a 6000 chronograph, a Formula 1, several Kiriums, many, many Links and even a couple of SELs. I would love an Autavia, Camaro or similar vintage Heuer models, but the current pricing is not what I’m prepared to pay...

Interestingly, I’ve never owned a Carrera. Something that I should perhaps set right. Although I did once own a Carrera bracelet that I used on a totally different watch - can’t even recall what it was now...

My former Link Calibre S...

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

IMG_20191130_203931.jpg
Hmmm, its a funny one. I try to ignore the WUS hype around certain brands and go for what i like, this has included various Heures and Tags but more the historic designs or re releases inc: 2 Silverstone (original and re release), Monaco Calibre 11, 4 Autavias from various eras (inc the one above acquired before Xmas), Monza, Skipper, Carrera, various others Some have gone and I have 4 left in the collection, if you like the design, happy with the movement then go for it and forget WUS.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

jtc wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:20 pm My wife bought me my 1887 as a wedding gift and I Iove it. It's by far my most admired and treasured watch - several more WIS-worthy have joined it in the collection since (with equally as emotional ties), however if times were hard they'd all leave me long before I'd consider parting with the Tag.
I can see why you like that one Jon, lovely. Like mine, your Tag has sentimental value above the others.
PaulJS wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:28 pm I don't really understand the ambivalence towards Tag that seems to prevail in many watch circles, here being no exception.

There seems to be a bit of inverted snobbery towards them whereby they are seen as the brand that people gravitate towards when they want to spend a quite significant amount on a watch but don't really know much about 'proper' watches.

Certainly they produce some pretty garish and tasteless offerings but if that was a universal metric then not many people would buy Rolex!

They also produce some beautiful examples like the one shown in this thread and watches like the Jack Heuer 80th Birthday which I still kick myself for not buying when it was released.

It's a mystery to me, as Toyah once sang.
You've summed it up well there Paul.
Bident wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:47 pm Looks superb on that bracelet, Patrick. Congrats on finding it.
Cheers John.
StrappedUp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:17 pm Funny you bring this up as I've spent quite a bit of time looking at Tag recently, although I'm debating the purchase of a ladies Aquaracer for my better half.

Only one that has grabbed my interest so far is the Heuer Cal 6. If my love affair with the Tangente ever ceases, I will probably try and hunt one down as an alternative.

Congrats on finding a bracelet. Looks good :thumbup:
Thanks Ryan, I do like that Cal 6, it does illustrate for every dog that they produce, there are also some lovely watches.
gaf1958 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:14 am patrick, I like the Carrera on the bracelet - a good acquisition IMO.
Thanks Gary, I do like that cherry (?) red Kirium, I don't recollect seeing one with that dial colour before. You do like a red or green dial!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Macca

Post by Macca »

Some lovely bits popping up on here

Have to say although someone was moaning about the price I really must point out that the reason you can own 5 cw watches instead of 1 tag is simple.. branding and security of investment, tag have a deep rooted heritage and a strong brand presence especially in motorsport and film. Cw do not and the pieces do not appreciate like a tag, it’s all relevant really but I’ve had some lovely pieces that have made me more yield than rolex, brand to watch in the future

Cw are certainly not worse quality, just a bit of a niche product in comparison

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^ that is a nice little collection of Tags you have there Macca. The Carrera not that dissimilar to mine. I like the Gulf livery too on the F1.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Macca

Post by Macca »

I don’t have all of them anymore Patrick, my Carrara is gone but I have another Carrera.. the jack heuer 40th anniversary one I previously posted, thanks though mate I’ll have to get some pictures of the others at some point

StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Soporsche wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:06 am IMG_20191130_203931.jpg
Now that's an absolutely lovely watch :thumbup:
:cuinlove:
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Thanks, it has a bit of a story behind and was courtesy of LVMH HQ.
I was originally drawn to Tag/Heuer because of the historic motorsport connection as Macca references above, favourites have been the Silverstone and Monaco but unfortunately I cant wear the large squareish cases comfortably due to very prominent wristbone, they dont sit right.
Nice collection you have there Macca, liking the Carrera particularly and the anniversary you now own is a lovely thing.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands