LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Has Rolex gone to far...

Post by Kip »

...or is this a legitimate argument that could have far reaching consequences?

See WatchPro article. This could get interesting.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Has Rolex gone to far...

Post by what-time-is-it »

Paul Thorpe covered this on YouTube last week - see video below.

Personally if you own a watch and want it modified then you should be able to do what you want with it, but if you modify and then sell as a 'Rolex' incl the name and logo on the dial you are asking for trouble.

Forget the counterfeit claims, they should be locked up for creating them in the first place! Just nasty.

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Coanda
Junior
Junior

Post by Coanda »

I worry more about what this will mean to the modding community in the future. Looking through the companies website, they are clear about changes and replacements not endorsed by Rolex, and in some cases not using Rolex parts.

I personally wouldn’t buy a watch that was refitted with a mineral crystal or buy those styles of color. I understand Rolex wants to maintain a certain standard, but I suppose individuals buying these mods don’t really care for COSC/water resistance rather than the aesthetic “fashion” appeal. Seems cheaper to buy a designer watch.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I tend to agree with Paul Thorpe from the Youtube clip. While the parts may not all be original parts, the watches are essentially Rolex watches, but granted it would depend how much of the watch has been replaced with aftermarket parts. If the sellers customise on behalf an owner (that’s Bamford’s MO isn’t it), or list the individual replaced parts, then wouldn’t that be enough to avoid any charge of counterfeiting? If Rolex have to prove that these items are counterfeit items, then I doubt they’ll have much success. Still, they will have deeper pockets, and could well bankrupt a tiny West Coast outfit with defence legal fees. As I write this, I’m thinking that might be their intention, and if it is, that would be an utter disgrace IMV.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm Personally if you own a watch and want it modified then you should be able to do what you want with it, but if you modify and then sell as a 'Rolex' incl the name and logo on the dial you are asking for trouble.
Maybe, but if you bought a Ferrari, sprayed it pink and fitted diamond-encrusted wheels, you'd still sell it as a Ferrari albeit a modified one. Badges and all.
Has there has ever been a case like this when it comes to modifying cars? Not sure.

My best guess is that they plan to bring out their own wacky 'Seiko 5' range of Subs, so are trying to eliminate any competition beforehand :wink:
Ryan
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

I think it depends upon how far a company goes with the "modification".
If it's the original Rolex dial, bezel or hands that are made a different colour then it's a modification to an owners personal choice and order having paid Rolex's OTT price in the first instance. Why shouldn't a watch owner be able to do this ? The owner can't expect to still have a Rolex warranty though (is it only old watches this is being done to?)

If they are replacing original Rolex parts with non-Rolex substitutes and still selling it off as a Rolex than that is a con unless they specify that they have done this, that there is no longer any Rolex warranty on the watch and they provide the replaced parts back to the watch owner.

Interesting that the Watchpro articles included different straps - are Rolex saying that only Rolex supplied bracelets and straps can be worn on their watches or is this an exaggeration in the article?
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm Personally if you own a watch and want it modified then you should be able to do what you want with it, but if you modify and then sell as a 'Rolex' incl the name and logo on the dial you are asking for trouble.

Forget the counterfeit claims, they should be locked up for creating them in the first place! Just nasty.
I think that sums it up. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Why would you want to mod a Rolex?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I can’t believe there’s a market for them, just awful :thumbdown:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Whether or not the modders (let’s not call them counterfeiters) deserve to get dragged through the courts of law is a moot point.

I should say that a visit from the Style Police is definitely in order, however.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

nathanclarinet wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:19 pm Why would you want to mod a Rolex?!?!?
Because you can is probably the answer, although not my cup of tea.

I agree with comments above - if I want to mod my Rolex then that is up to me and nothing to do with Rolex. If someone sells a modded Rolex as such and it is accurarely described in terms of non OEM parts and lack of warranty then that is also fine and Rolex have no business getting involved.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:05 pm Interesting that the Watchpro articles included different straps - are Rolex saying that only Rolex supplied bracelets and straps can be worn on their watches or is this an exaggeration in the article?
That would appear to be somewhat of an exaggeration. On a couple of occasions I have entered the hallowed portal of Rolex UK head office in St. James Square with a Rolex on a tatty NATO. Watch handed over, work carried out whilst I waited, watch handed back with tatty NATO, without incident!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

This is ridiculous. If i fit a widebody kit to my Miata, and drop a Ford 302 into it, it's still a Miata. The registration will still say it's a Miata, and I can sell it as a Miata. Watches are no different. Rolex case and movement = Rolex. No warranty on modified watches is totally reasonable, and I know Rolex has had a long standing policy that they will not service any modified Rolex, even if it modified with genuine Rolex parts.

The only other company I know that has tried something this ludicrous is Ferrari. When the musician Deadmau5 wrapped his Ferrari in a Nyan cat wrap, changed the hood and trunk logos to a leaping cat, the name badge to Purrari, and and installed Purrari floor mats, he received a cease and desist letter from Ferrari. Wisely he sold it rather than try and litigate, and has since owned a Lampurrghini Purracan and a Meowclaren. Neither company had any issues with his sense of humour. He apparently really likes McLaren as he is now on his 4th one, the most recent purchase being a Senna. Looks like Ferrari missed out on a lot of free publicity and sales.

I do have a question about the article though. Rolex claims that the bezels were bent (if true that's terrible quality for the price of these modded dissters) and that they would affect WR. How is this possible? The bezels are not integral to the Oyster case and do not form any part of the case seal.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

If this ever makes it past the courts then it confirms that the world as we know is run by big business, not government... To say it is ridiculous is selling the use of the word short.

As the owner of any given item, it’s my right to do as I please with it, up to and including destroying it with a sledge hammer if I wish, provided I do not commit fraud by reselling it as an “as original “ item. Unless you are leasing an item (like some cars and software) then the manufacturer has no rights to control your usage of the item other than to deny any warranty claims (which is fair enough).
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Has Rolex gone to far...

Post by gaf1958 »

One line in the article was significant: Rolex has said that the company was implying that these modifications were supported by Rolex (perhaps even more than merely supported), when that is clearly is not the case. If so, then there may be some grounds for calling these counterfeits - they are modified Rolex watches, not approved Rolex models. As long as this does not provide a precedent for further blurring of the counterfeit definition...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier