Do I want an Omega?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Do I want an Omega?

Post by Thegreyman »

I recently posted in the "What watch are you dreaming about now?" thread, a photo of the Omega Planet Ocean 39.5mm.

Omega is a brand that I've been quite undecided about in the past (I have owned a couple of vintage Omegas including this Constellation Pie Pan, now moved on, probably rashly :problem: ) but have never owned a modern model.

I've admired the Speedy Moonwatch, tried one on a couple of years ago but it just really didn't sing to me.

Anyway today I popped into an Omega boutique to try on the PO. I must say it surprises and disappoints me a little, the number of watch shops I have gone into where the staff have little/no clue about the watches they are trying to get you to pay ££££'s for. The lady didn't know what a PO looked like and firstly tried to give me a Speedy Moonwatch :shock: Anyway after firstly getting a 43.5mm PO, I got a 39.5mm to try on.
IMG_2909.jpg
The 43.5mm PO I found a little large, particularly the height (the 8900 movement) sits very tall on the wrist. The 39.5mm model though I just felt was a smidgeon too small, another mm and probably perfect. I know a lot of you think it's the perfect size, and I do have a small wrist, but somehow I do like a reasonable sized watch. It felt noticeably smaller than either my 40mm SubC or 40mm Halios Seaforth. Height wise with the 8800 movement it was still tall but acceptably so.

Whilst I was there I thought I'd try another model or two. Next an SMP
IMG_2910.jpg
I tried the same model in both the rubber strap and bracelet. This comes in at 42mm but felt good on the wrist. Very nice watch, almost as good as the CW Trident that it is based on :wink:

There wasn't much time until the shop closed so went for one more, an AT with a lovely pale blue face and a pop from its blue second hand.
IMG_2911.jpg
This one is 41.5mm but felt a very wearable sized dress watch.

So overall not conclusive. I do very much like and respect these Omegas, iconic and superbly built watches. But do I desire them, I'm not sure. I think I'll need to spend a bit more time at the Omega boutique back in Edinburgh soon to do a bit more research.

The boutique I was in today, not in Edinburgh. A second member of staff, a chap, spoke to me a bit. He was more knowledgable of the watches but when he realised I wasn't going to be buying anything today, he did give me the impression of being slightly disinterested and didn't really display any real passion for the watches which I like to think I would have done if I worked there and was trying to sell the Omega brand. In fairness he did give me a copy of the Omega brochure away with me, so some bedtime swotting up for me to do :)
IMG_2916.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg
PS Apologies but the photos are the right way up on my phone and on my laptop (before uploading) but are afflicted with the orientation conflict issue that seems to happen all the time between PC and Tapatalk (phone) viewing of the forum.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Do I want an Omega?

Post by jtc »

Yes. Always want (need) an Omega!

Have you tried a modern pie pan Globemaster Constellation? I have one put away for a significant birthday, bought at discount earlier this year. It's a beautiful thing.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

42mm 2500 PO... perfect. :)

Richard
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I my humble opinion Omega are worth you doing a bit more research. I have the AT with vertical lines, an SMPc with the non wavy face and a vintage Seamater, all three are keepers for certain.
It may get me in trouble with some but I share your thoughts on the Speedy and my favourite of those above would be the AT. I believe it works as a sports and dress watch. I am sure you are aware but I have found that Omega do not want to do discount at the boutiques but I have got close to 15% on the high street so it would be worth shopping around.
Enjoy looking.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 pm So overall not conclusive. I do very much like and respect these Omegas, iconic and superbly built watches. But do I desire them, I'm not sure. I think I'll need to spend a bit more time at the Omega boutique back in Edinburgh soon to do a bit more research.
Patrick there are so many brands for any of us to pick from that I have never gone with the view of having to have a particular brand, or model in the collection. If you don’t “desire” any of them it’s probably best to cross them off your list.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

I have two of them, one is 10 years old and the other is 50 years old; I’m not too keen on the new ones.

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Do I want an Omega?

Post by gaf1958 »

Well, you should know my views on the subject Patrick. :) I probably have more of them than is really good for me, but still I feel like I could use a few more...

I’ve no shortage of Seamasters or Speedys, but currently I don’t own a Planet Ocean. I’ve previously owned four (two 2500s and two 8500s). I plan to try on the 39.5mm size in an AD before committing myself to saying I want another PO, but I still really like them. The larger 8500s are much better in titanium, as their lower weight really compensates for the almost 16mm thick watch on your wrist. I’m hoping that the smaller 14mm thick 39.5 will wear like them or the original 2500.

The other Omega model range I’m currently missing is the Constellation range. I’ve owned a couple but sold them for various reasons. IMO it’s a shortcoming I need to address, as there are some lovely Connie’s I’d be keen to own.

So in summary; yes, persevere with the search. I think they’re well worth it.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
stobievulture
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by stobievulture »

Seamaster i was totally underwhelmed with too P mate.... Aqua terras i love... I have the same blue one 😎
Somewhere there is someone who can see what I can see...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting question, Patrick, and I guess it comes down to individual taste.

There is probably also a consensus that you need to buy the watch as opposed to buying the brand.

I had a quartz Omega as practically my only watch for many years, I have a lovely vintage one and of course the Speedy is my go to watch. On the other hand, I fail to be attracted by the PO and SMP ranges.

Quite a few people here rave about Oris. I can walk straight past them without a second glance. Ditto Bremont. Cartier watches leave a lot of people cold but I would wear pretty much any of them.

If you’re not that impressed, walk away and look for something else. Good hunting.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Do I want an Omega?

Post by gaf1958 »

^^^ I agree with everything you’ve said Steve (except about certain Oris watches), but on a visceral level I still say to Patrick it’s worth persevering until you find an Omega you love. :grin:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Patrick, you and I seem to have similar watch tastes and even own common pieces and brands. I have both the Speedmaster Moonwatch ( I do find it a hit or miss watch with others) and the Planet Ocean (currently the GMT 8605 movement but have also owned the 2500). I’ve also owned an Aqua Terra in a 41.5mm in the 2500 movement.

With your Panerai Luminor 44 mm you gave a similar size case that is also quite thick. With that, I would encourage you to revisit the PO 43.5mm version, it does sit higher and some shirt cuffs may be challenged, but the 8605 movement on that watch is fantastic to look at in the exhibition back but also for accuracy.

It’s a striking, brilliantly made watch.

Spend more time with the Omega PO line and perhaps even looking for a preowned in the 2500 D movement.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Danbailey007 »

I'm following this with interest as I've also been looking at Omega for a while now and keep flipping between which model I would prefer. It started off SMP grey face, then PO (happy with either size) but the AT's are so good looking!

For me it'll be a decision based on budget at the time of finding something I really really want and how it'll fit into my collection.

I look forward to the updates!
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Definitely a modern Constellation.... go on, you know you want to :thumbup:

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:52 am Interesting question, Patrick, and I guess it comes down to individual taste.

There is probably also a consensus that you need to buy the watch as opposed to buying the brand.

I had a quartz Omega as practically my only watch for many years, I have a lovely vintage one and of course the Speedy is my go to watch. On the other hand, I fail to be attracted by the PO and SMP ranges.

Quite a few people here rave about Oris. I can walk straight past them without a second glance. Ditto Bremont. Cartier watches leave a lot of people cold but I would wear pretty much any of them.

If you’re not that impressed, walk away and look for something else. Good hunting.
I agree, Steve. I've often said about the 'Speedy' - how many people would have bought it if it wasn't the 'moonwatch'? A lot of people buy it for what it is and not because they like it. Buying the brand sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I wanted a Pinion and a Bremont purely because they were English companies - fortunately they both do my type of watches and i'm spoilt for choice really, and I know I will end up with another of each at some point. I, like Patrick, went looking for an Omega last year. I was convinced that I wanted one and headed out to Meadowhell with our lass to try a few on. I tried the SMP, the PO and the Aqua Terra (which I had lusted after for a long time). Every one of them left me a little underwhelmed for some reason. So, into Goldsmiths I went for a chat with the lass who sold me my Black Bay (I always nip in for a chat as she'll always make me a coffee and owt for nowt is worth having!). Whilst in there having a coffee I tried on an Oris Aquis and immediately I knew I wanted one and our lass said something along the lines of 'thats far more you' - and I ended up with my Staghorn. I may re visit Omega one day but currently they remain one of those 'I like to look at them but not buy' brands, of which I have a few of.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I have a few Omega watches now. I'll try not to be a fanboy though...
I am ambivalent about the moonwatch. Sure it's a strap monster but it's also handwound and only worth buying (IMO) if it has "Certified by NASA" on the back.
I am trying to convince myself that the Aqua Terra line look good with the odd pointy bit on the hour hand.
The pie pan constellations look great in images/video but, apart from my annual calendar, have yet to convince me to buy.
The new SeaMaster 300 is great (for me) but a lot of the SeaMaster range leaves me cold. Indeed, the forthcoming white dial SeaMaster 300 looks just like my CW SH21 C60 so I can give that a miss quite easily.
I do like the experience of going to my local Omega AD. They have a wide choice of watches to look at and great coffee. A good AD experience is part of buying the watch at these price points.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy the brand but not liking the watches. Don't buy just because it is an Omega, buy because it's what you want. Simple as that.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris