What would you tell yourself?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

What would you tell yourself?

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

If you could go back to the begining of your watch collecting journey what watch would you recommend to yourself?

For me it would be the archimede outdoor. I picked a used one up a couple of months ago and it's fast become my favourite watch

What would yours be?
Attachments
IMG_20190907_154351.jpg
Neil
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: What would you tell yourself?

Post by golfjunky »

To buy a Grand Seiko
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Remus
Guru
Guru

Post by Remus »

Stop spending on flippers and save for the SMPc sooner/quicker.
Remus
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I would tell myself to buy one good allrounder and off the top of my head explorer, 5 digit explorer ii or little LLD and then never ever get involved in watch forums.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Crack on, fill your boots and enjoy yourself :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

To stay clear of expensive watches and watch forums.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Buy a Moonwatch before anything else.

Then buy 2 x Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award watch when they were at £6k each. Keep 1 and sell the other at the current £20k, buy an Explorer and previous model Explorer II with the profit.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

If I was telling myself how to build a collection in a slightly different manner (as opposed to telling myself “don’t get into watch collecting, just stick to three or four watches and call it quits”) I would say:

Don’t get swept along by a forum community and waste money buying watches that with hindsight you will hardly wear. Stick to watches for the long term, where the cost of service every 7-10 years is not disproportionate to the value of the watch. Any more than about 12-15 watches is pointless.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

I think now that I would buy fewer watches, of better quality. I miss my Rolex GMT Master terribly, but lack funds to get another. So for me, I would get the Speedmaster much earlier than I did, along with a G-Shock for work, and a Marathon Navigator for low-light and dark.

Exempting my two heirloom watches (Gallet Multichron Pilot and 1951 Rolex OP), the three above are my normal wear watches. The rest I could let go if needed, and I would miss some of them, but I would live.

I am glad things have played out the way they have, though. I have met some people on the way who I like, and had adventures too.
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I wouldn’t deviate much from my start ( Hamilton to Steinhart to CW), but would have told myself stop at the C60 instead of buying so many affordables. Instead a younger Viognier should keep his C60 and save for a marquee watch.

Hindsight is an exact science....

Candidly, I learned by buying and wearing those many watches, that I could get to where I am now to offer myself that advice 7 years ago!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Probably have a smaller collection but more quality....maybe, the contradiction is I love all my watches even if I don’t wear them regularly.
I am just a bargain hunter in reality, I can afford expensive watches but can’t justify the outlay.
Johnny
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Apologies Niel, can't do it.

The (my) watch collecting journey, with all the twists and turns of buying and selling, along with changes of financial and personal circumstances along the way, is what has shaped my collection into what it is now.

I can't turn the clock back on that (pun intended).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Fascinating topic.

Having been a member of the forum and interested in watches for quite a few years now, my views have changed, as have my knowledge and understanding.

Back then I had been effectively a single watch wearer for 15 years (quartz Omega Polaris).

I knew very little about watches except that I liked them. I knew what was in the shop windows and I realised vaguely that there were watches and brands out there beyond the orbit of Rolex &c. though I would have been hard put to it to name them. I knew that I liked Cartier. I think I was aware that mechanical watches were still made but thought of them as the preserve of a bunch of diehard weirdos (nothing new there :lol: )

I knew what a chronograph was, and a dive watch, but not a flieger. I knew my Omega was lumed but didn’t realise that people wrote essays about the stuff.

I might have gone blithely along in ignorance except for a chance online discovery of CW and a very spontaneous purchase of a 1961 Omega.

With hindsight, I still can’t say what I would have done or told myself to do differently, though I could certainly see myself aiming for the essential 3-watch collection of Speedy, Tank and Explorer. Still haven’t made up my mind about the third of these.

One thing I do know for certain is that I now have more watches than I care to wear, but because of the nature of the watches and the saturation of the market they are not proving an easy prospect to move. I have at least the consolation that they are nice to wear occasionally and are not tying up too much in the way of funds.

And I will always be glad that I picked up the knowledge on the way.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

Remus wrote:Stop spending on flippers and save for the SMPc sooner/quicker.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

The same as many of you - steer clear of watch forums