Getting old and liking gold....

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Getting old and liking gold....

Post by Thegreyman »

As I've mentioned a couple of times on the forum, for some reason and I can only assume age, buying a watch with a bit of a gold colour scheme going on has started to appeal.

I've tried on the Tudor Steel & Gold Chrono a few times, a Basel World 2019 release. It's a fantastic watch and the two tone steel and gold really hits the spot, and I don't currently have a chronograph in my collection. The near £5k price tag though is just a bit more than I feel like spending on a watch at the present time, so can't quite get over the line with the decision.

Capture.JPG

Browsing as you do I then came across a watch which fills a few gaps in my collection - vintage (tick), chronograph (tick), some gold (tick).

So took the plunge and now own my first Valjoux 7750 "wobbler". Really pleased with the watch, it's a 1980's reference 9367 Hamilton. The size is a very wearable 40mm, 45mm L2L and 20mm lug width. The watch is in really good condition, recently serviced. There is some wear on the bezel but it's a 30 plus year old watch so I don't mind the lived in look....I have a few wrinkles myself after all :)

IMG_2825.jpg
IMG_2826.jpg

Just need to find a good strap to match, although the black nato it came on isn't too bad actually.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Getting old and liking gold....

Post by TigerChris »

Phew! You resisted the two tone bracelet so there’s hope yet mate, you’ve not gone totally grandad on us :lol: :lol:

Looks good, even I wouldn’t class it as two tone - a nice looking chronograph with contrasting dials. Congrats :thumbup: :clap:

Now the quest for a nice leather strap for it begins
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

There’s something alluring about precious metals.

I always feel a bit special when sporting my solid gold Omega Geneve, even though it’s small & 9ct only.

Partly it’s an illogical, emotional thing, but maybe also because gold is such a departure from the daily ‘bread’n’butter’ of stainless steel sports watches.

Part of me quite fancies the ultimate old man watch - a two-tone DateJust on a jubilee. Something appealing retro & counter-intuitive about it, even if I doubt I could quite carry it off. I draw the line at diamond indices, though.

Maybe I’m getting old also!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’d like to be able to do a Monty Python and say “That’s not two tone lad...” but then ... while it has a two tone dial, it’s not really a two tone watch is it Patrick. :)

What it is though, is actually rather nice, with the bonus of a recent service, and as Chris said, no two tone bracelet.

It’s from that previous bastion of two tone watches - the 1980s. Back then everyone, even a young’un like myself (well I was at the time) owned a two tone watch, so it’s a great period from which to find a TT; bonus points though for finding one that’s sporting a 7750, rather than quartz. :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I have to ask about the "wobbler" reference. Seen it before, still don't know what it means.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

watchaholic wrote:I have to ask about the "wobbler" reference. Seen it before, still don't know what it means.
Wobbler refers to the ETA/Valjoux 7750 movement. Its rotor winds the watch in only one direction (not uncommon) but when it freewheels in the other direction it has a feeling on the wrist that your watch is “wobbling” a little, even though it’s not visible to the eye.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

gaf1958 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:37 am
watchaholic wrote:I have to ask about the "wobbler" reference. Seen it before, still don't know what it means.
Wobbler refers to the ETA/Valjoux 7750 movement. Its rotor winds the watch in only one direction (not uncommon) but when it freewheels in the other direction it has a feeling on the wrist that your watch is “wobbling” a little, even though it’s not visible to the eye.
Thanks for that. Suppose I could have googled it, but again, this is why I joined this forum and why I hope to continue. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Now that, I like Patrick! :thumbup:

Apart from the gold sub dials, the shape of the hands and the bezel markings, it reminds me of my Sinn 103.

If you squint!
Oh, and your day is in English as opposed to German. :lol:

Image[/url]
Steve.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I like this as well, but is it my imagination, or does that bezel look like it came straight off a Speedy?
Dwight
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:31 am I like this as well, but is it my imagination, or does that bezel look like it came straight off a Speedy?
What I know, the tachymeter is a standard scale for calculating speed or distance in relation to time so the markings are uniform on any tachymeter I have seen. Having researched the watch the bezel style is original to the watch. Whether or not Hamilton copied the style from Omega I can't say however with a uniform scale and fairly bog standard white numbering on a black background, there are probably not many variations possible on the theme :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

downer

Post by downer »

Nice watch, Patrick. But you know how this works. It ain't the real thing and you will continue to want the Tudor. :D

Rule #6 - viewtopic.php?t=33126
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Can’t go wrong with a bit of Vintage Patrick! :thumbup:

However a misleading heading for the thread, completely exposed once I clicked on the thread. :lol:

A headline not backed up by underlying analysis. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations Patrick :clap:
I do like the look of this one mate 8)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Whilst I will admit to liking a bit of gold, I tend to find myself limiting that to cases, hands and indices on vintage and dress watches.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 pm Phew! You resisted the two tone bracelet so there’s hope yet mate, you’ve not gone totally grandad on us :lol: :lol:

Looks good, even I wouldn’t class it as two tone - a nice looking chronograph with contrasting dials. Congrats :thumbup: :clap:
gaf1958 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:34 pm I’d like to be able to do a Monty Python and say “That’s not two tone lad...” but then ... while it has a two tone dial, it’s not really a two tone watch is it Patrick. :)

What it is though, is actually rather nice, with the bonus of a recent service, and as Chris said, no two tone bracelet.

It’s from that previous bastion of two tone watches - the 1980s. Back then everyone, even a young’un like myself (well I was at the time) owned a two tone watch, so it’s a great period from which to find a TT; bonus points though for finding one that’s sporting a 7750, rather than quartz. :)
Cheers Chris, Gary :thumbup:

Although I described the Tudor as two tone, I didn't for the Hamilton. It does have the touch of gold I was after though with the subdials on the black dial a la Tudor.
Patrick