Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Introducing Seiko Presage Prestige Line Enamel Dial, now with Spring Drive

Post by Thunder1 »

But damn, the price!!!...

Introducing Seiko Presage Prestige Line Enamel Dial, now with Spring Drive
Classic design, Japanese artistry and state-of-the-art innovation!

Seiko‘s footprint on classic watchmaking is growing quickly. When the brand launched the Presage collection in 2016, the focus was both on watchmaking, relatively accessible prices and Japanese artistry (with enamel or lacquered dials). Since then, the collection has expanded dramatically with multiple editions and complications. Today marks a strong evolution, with the introduction of the Seiko’s proprietary Spring Drive technology in the Presage line. Meet the new Seiko Presage Prestige Line Enamel Dial Spring Drive SNR037 & SNR039.

The design of these new Seiko Presage Prestige Line watches isn’t the biggest surprise offering the well-balanced recipe of classicism, elegance and heritage that has defined Presage since its introduction. The goal of this collection, which is far from the robust and highly masculine Prospex line, was to showcase Japanese aesthetics and craftsmanship – something that could also be said about Grand Seiko, yet in a higher price range.
https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-pr ... 039-price/
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Introducing Seiko Presage Prestige Line Enamel Dial, now with Spring Drive

Post by timor54 »

I saw this and had the same reaction.

Seiko are blurring the lines between their Prospex/Presage/GS lines. You used to have a fairly good idea what the price ranges were likely to be for any given model in one of those ranges; but no longer.

They’re pushing all their prices up whilst putting their premium technologies i.e. Spring Drive into models across just about all their ranges.

It’s nice to see Spring Drive becoming more widely deployed, but I still can’t afford it :(
Tim
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

At that price, I'll save up for a far better looking Grand Seiko!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

So, the difference between the 5r65 movement and the 9r65 movement is a less decorated rotor for the 5r65?..I sure hope Seiko has a hard time selling these so that they pop up on the JDM at better price points.. :problem:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

For me the watch is fairly ordinary in looks, great movement no doubt but the price is bonkers. You could buy a C60 Apex for that money and a C60 Trident with the change.

They are also getting into the territory of their own GS range at that money.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

How much??! They’re off their nut
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

They've done a similar thing with some Prospex models - bung in a Spring drive and charge near Grand Seiko prices. Better off spending a little more and getting a GS...!!!!
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I passed this by yesterday, but decided just now to take a look to see what all the fuss is about.

Well, the watch is pretty enough, although not really for me, but reading the brief details about the Spring Drive reminds me that I used to drool over it 10 years ago when I was a committed Seiko owner.

The caseback view is a bit stark, but perhaps that is to go with the special nature of the Spring Drive. A cool, tool look?

Price? Seems a bit steep, but then don't we all say that when we see a brand pushing the boundaries upwards from their accepted norm (thinks, CW C60 Apex).

Buying this vs. a Grand Seiko? Maybe it's similar to buying a top of the range Toyota vs. a bottom / middle range Lexus. Just a thought.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 am I passed this by yesterday, but decided just now to take a look to see what all the fuss is about.

Well, the watch is pretty enough, although not really for me, but reading the brief details about the Spring Drive reminds me that I used to drool over it 10 years ago when I was a committed Seiko owner.

The caseback view is a bit stark, but perhaps that is to go with the special nature of the Spring Drive. A cool, tool look?

Price? Seems a bit steep, but then don't we all say that when we see a brand pushing the boundaries upwards from their accepted norm (thinks, CW C60 Apex).

Buying this vs. a Grand Seiko? Maybe it's similar to buying a top of the range Toyota vs. a bottom / middle range Lexus. Just a thought.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Good points, Guy. I guess it's a lot to do with how different people view the brand as a whole. I, personally, view Seiko as a brand providing decent quality for a decent price accessible to most people - Argos even have pages of them. The price of this watch is nowhere near how I see the brand and is firmly in 'Grand Seiko' territory. I suppose then, a little 'badge snobbery' comes to the fore and my thinking would be that if I'm going to pay that type of money I want 'GS' on the dial. The same as cars, there is no way I would pay 30 grand for a Ford, but would pay it without hesitation for a BMW. Everyone will have different views, none are right and none are wrong, just different views of different people.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

I view Seiko as a brand that has raised its middle finger towards the Swiss industry for decades. Even if II'd have unlimited funds, I'd get a Seiko rather than a Rolex any day of the week (and yes, I'd also prefer a CW over a Rolex).

I also think that, if a Swiss manfacturer would come up with a watch like this, with this level of accuracy, at this price point, European watch lovers would snap it up.

I will show myself out now.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Not really my thing anyway but the price seem a bit out of whack with the (to me) much nicer GS range. For the record I would much rather have a rolex than a Seiko or a CW but then that's probably just me being silly!
Cheers now, Paul
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

stefs wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 am Not really my thing anyway but the price seem a bit out of whack with the (to me) much nicer GS range. For the record I would much rather have a rolex than a Seiko or a CW but then that's probably just me being silly!
Partly. It's also me being silly. The Rolex brand image does the same thing to me as four rings on the front of a car: it makes me think "vastly overrated".
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

The solution is to have at least one of each! I've got at least one of all the brands mentioned above and it's nice to be able to contrast and compare them. I've even got one of those 4-ringed motor vehicles mentioned too, which is comfortably the best car I've ever had. So horses for courses. And variety being the spice of life. And no doubt some other hackneyed phrases too! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Have had 4 four ringed bangers and 7 rolex. They all seemed pretty good to me but horses for courses and good job we all see things differently I guess.
Cheers now, Paul
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

peterh wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:45 am
stefs wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 am Not really my thing anyway but the price seem a bit out of whack with the (to me) much nicer GS range. For the record I would much rather have a rolex than a Seiko or a CW but then that's probably just me being silly!
Partly. It's also me being silly. The Rolex brand image does the same thing to me as four rings on the front of a car: it makes me think "vastly overrated".
Have you owned either brand Peter or is that just your perception? I think Audi is a quality car, not as good as BMW of course, but close!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way