They have to go!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

They have to go!

Post by DavecUK »

Sadly I have decided to sell my Rolex and Audemars Piguet watches, got some dealer quotes today and they seem broadly acceptable, so off to the shop tomorrow. I decided to sell simply because they were not being worn and what's the point of having a watch you never wear. I had them serviced a while ago now and they have simply sat in the box ever since....finally I decided they have to go. I have owned them both from new and enough is enough.

It's an emotional decision but my son has no interest at all and there would be no appreciation of being left both watches when I cross the rainbow bridge. So I thought I will have the money now and perhaps splash out on a much cheaper watch in the future. It was nice owning them but I began to feel like a museum curator, as if they didn't really belong to me, does that make any sense? Perhaps a salutary warning to others that owning an expensive watch isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

OK I've unburdened myself...and tried not to feel conflicted :)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: They have to go!

Post by H0rati0 »

DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm It was nice owning them but I began to feel like a museum curator, as if they didn't really belong to me, does that make any sense?

I know exactly what you mean. Been there, done that as have others here. But look forward, now you can buy another watch(es) that you like and will actually wear, maybe expensive, maybe not - no pressure!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

If they were becoming a burden, then it makes sense to move them on.

Out of interest what model is the AP?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

There's a lot in that relatively short post .....
DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm they were not being worn and what's the point of having a watch you never wear.
I'm sure plenty of Forum contributors have considered that at various times.
DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm I thought I will have the money now and perhaps splash out on a much cheaper watch in the future.
And why not. And as the next quote states expensive doesn't mean everything and I'm sure the money from the sale of those 2 watches will help you past the decision to sell and give you the freedom to chose what you feel appropriate now.
DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm Perhaps a salutary warning to others that owning an expensive watch isn't always all it's cracked up to be.
DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm to sell my Rolex and Audemars Piguet watches, got some dealer quotes today and they seem broadly acceptable,
I've only ever p/ex'd a couple of 13 year old TAG Heuer's to get a desired new Moonwatch (although I tried to sell 1 of them privately first) so my experience of selling into a dealer is limited. Out of interest Is a dealer sale the best way with expensive watches like the OPs?
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Just a guess but I suggest that selling through a dealer is the easiest way to sell a watch like the Rolex and Audemars Piguet. You may not (and probably won't) get the best price but the risk is low. The cheque is unlikely to bounce for a start. Selling privately would take longer and expose the OP to numerous risks and costs. If you had to mail them could they be insured for sufficiently. The risk of being scammed on online platforms is relatively high for the inexperienced seller.
If these watches aren't being worn and the next generation has no interest in them, then this is best for the watches and the OP. I'm sure there will be sellers remorse but that passes especially if the watches haven't been worn frequently or recently.
I'm sure everyone who reads this will empathise with DavecUK and his dilemma but I think he's made the right move.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm Sadly I have decided to sell my Rolex and Audemars Piguet watches, got some dealer quotes today and they seem broadly acceptable, so off to the shop tomorrow. I decided to sell simply because they were not being worn and what's the point of having a watch you never wear. I had them serviced a while ago now and they have simply sat in the box ever since....finally I decided they have to go. I have owned them both from new and enough is enough.

It's an emotional decision but my son has no interest at all and there would be no appreciation of being left both watches when I cross the rainbow bridge. So I thought I will have the money now and perhaps splash out on a much cheaper watch in the future. It was nice owning them but I began to feel like a museum curator, as if they didn't really belong to me, does that make any sense? Perhaps a salutary warning to others that owning an expensive watch isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

OK I've unburdened myself...and tried not to feel conflicted :)
Hi there!!..hope all is well w/ you and yours..I'm 'across the pond' from you, but hopefully, some aspects of our lives have similar intersections..I've a 23 year old son still living w/ my wife and I and it seems like we live in completely different worlds from one another..he's shown no interest in my collection to this point..I just want to to draw your attention to the fact that it is a common feeling amongst parents that their kid(s) don't appreciate the same things(ordeals, accomplishments, experiences) that they do..not news to you, but as one ages, one seems to gain a greater appreciation for the efforts(interests, experiences, endeavors) of their forbearers..PP's and Rolex's aren't getting any cheaper...I would hold onto them for your kid(s) future sake..consider taking some time to think things over..BR, Chuck
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Perhaps hang onto the Rolex for another few years to see if your son shows interest....they are very sought after and unlikely to lose value. Moving the AP now seems to make sense.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Depending on the model and how much you require the cash, I'd definitely sell the AP and maybe hold onto the Rolex if it's likely to increase in value, as the poster above said.

I have a 4 year old daughter and in my head I plan what from my collection she will have as she gets older- the raymond weil her grand father gave me when shes young, the omega her mum got me as a teenager or the reverso I intend to get myself when shes 18/21 etc

I really understand the frustration of not wearing watches in the collection too and that idea of downsizing has appealed to me more and more. I went from dozens of watches to an ideal of 3-4 (vintage dress watch, g shock beater, a speedy and something else I haven't decided yet... either a reverso, no date sub, blue pelagos, explorer)
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

I think you made a sensible decision. When they don’t give some sort of pleasure it is time to sell. Hanging on to them for the sake of the next generation (any resemblance to an actual ad intended) makes no sense.
Bjørn
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

Taking another angle, but possibly a more gruesome one. The kiddos may not have any interest now, but when the day comes when we are no longer around it may represent to them something that you loved and that they would like to keep (whether to wear, or hang onto).

My wife did just that with her fathers watch. It was nothing too fancy but she holds onto it in her jewelry box as a pleasant memory.

Lots of different ways to think about it, any of which will be correct.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

All the replies made very interesting reading, it actually helped convince me I am doing the right thing. To answer some comments. If my kids want something really sentimental they can have one of my beater watches, my old Casio Tough Solar, or My Invicta pro diver...If it's to remember me, value isn't important and the Kids don't even remember me wearing these watches...probably because I have not worn them for a very long time and never wore them very much when they were little. I had both from new all papers etc.. so easy enough to sell on. of course the tritium Lume is dead now on the Rolex and only faintly alive on the AP. In those days it was painted on tritium and if you ever see one that still glows it's had either a dial replacement or relume...both bad things.

The Rolex is a Oyster perpetual date - smooth bezel 1996.

For the person who asked the AP is a day date moonphase automatic 9mm thick. It's 22 years old, was serviced by AP only and after the last service never worn, just sat in it's box. It's pretty well immaculate. Window ready as they say ;)
apsmall.JPG
Rolex Small.JPG
Tomorrow or Saturday off to the reasonably local Jewellers to hand em over and get my bank transfer.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Wow, both lovely watches - I don't really like APs but that's a stunner.

The Rolex looks so much better with those narrower lug ends - the current versions are too broad shouldered.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Beautiful watches, Dave, but your reasons for selling seem perfectly sound and it would appear that you are happy you’re not going to get fleeced.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:06 am Wow, both lovely watches - I don't really like APs but that's a stunner.

The Rolex looks so much better with those narrower lug ends - the current versions are too broad shouldered.
I was originally only going to sell one watch then later the Rolex, but I mentioned I had a Rolex and he was quite interested. Funny enough I had not seen another Rolex like mine, ever....and he said this is an uncommon watch, but funnily enough we had one in a few days ago, mine was 1996, the other one was 2004, but it was a little clone.....:)

The current crop of large AP watches can be a bit OTT, especially the offshore etc...The AP I had was dressy and sporty, nice and thin and sat really well on the wrist. The movement is a joy in those and very beautiful, but no exhibition case back AP didn't do that. I think it's 35 or perhaps 38 jewels auto in house and at the time one of the thinner movements made (if not the thinnest, really can't remember) but jewels everywhere there was a friction surface ;) You just had to be super careful with the keyless works, every thing snap changed on day and date at 00:01, but the moonphase was engaged between 10pm and 2 am. I think this is correct, but have not used it for almost 15 years.

So they are now gone, no tears or regrets and took me a total of 24 hours to sell them both from first enquiry..There were a few interested, but these people have been around a while and were realistic with the pricing, in fact gave me the max estimate given via email on photo condition. Enjoyed them when I used to wear them, even after all the costs of ownership, servicing+purchase cost still made a nice profit. More than enough to purchase a few Chris ward SH21 chronos and not feel at all guilty :)

So now I have my Oris Diver and few solar atomic watches, my supa dupa Invicta and believe it or not my first battery quartz coming a 256KHz Bulova precisionist (scratch that Bulova itch because I could never afford the accutron when I was young). Thanks to the guy who posted about the TK Maxx deal in another section of the forum. £79 for a bit of battery quartz fun and ONLY because I can open it up every 2-3 years and easily put a CR2016 button cell in myself.

Anyway...enough of this foolery, I know you are not interested in 256 kHz quartz or Invicta pro divers that keep fabulous time ;)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm I decided to sell simply because they were not being worn
Sorry, I might have missed it, but why didn't you wear them? The AP looks stunning.
'Tis me