Iconostasis - the Watch Wonderwall

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Iconostasis - the Watch Wonderwall

Post by Thegreyman »

Well the Rolex Submariner has been done so...I give you the Panerai Luminor Marina. An Italian watch company whose origins include supplying dive watches to the Italian Navy post the second world war. With a distinctive cushion shape case and the quite unique crown guard, it is a watch that is iconic, instantly recognisable and with real wrist presence. Not everyone's cup of tea but there is a real dedicated passionate fan base for this brand, known as Paneristi. I've noticed recently that there are now quite a few of us on the forum with a Panerai.
Capture.JPG
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’m not going for a watch, but rather a watch movement. The El Primero, I don’t even need to say who it is made by as you all know.

The movement has been in production for 50 years and the story of how it was saved from extinction by Charles Vermot is well known. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/charl ... bly-zenith

As well as the famous tri-colour Zenith El Primero, the movement has also been used in some pretty iconic watches through the years. Rolex used it in the Daytona and Tag Heuer have used it in the Monaco. All three of these watches will no doubt appear in the list of icons, but I present the one part which is common the them all, the El Primero
EBC0ED9A-1F99-4296-8602-8DC5281072F9.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Can’t believe it’s not been mentioned yet, but the Omega Speedmaster simply has to make any “Iconic” list. Produced in countless versions since 1957; yet still around and more popular than ever.

All pics of my own Speedys at some point in my collection...

My first ever Speedy, the automatic Reduced.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gaf1958 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 am Can’t believe it’s not been mentioned yet, but the Omega Speedmaster simply has to make any “Iconic” list. Produced in countless versions since 1957; yet still around and more popular than ever.
We were leaving that one to YOU, Gary. Right, Neil? That one’s a stunner. Thank you. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Well as the thread seems to be taking a nap, with many iconic watches still to be mentioned, thought it time to post another. :)

I give you the Rolex Datejust. Launched in 1945, to most folk outside the strange world of WIS, Rolex = Datejust.

By far the best selling Rolex model. Available with a range of sizes, materials, dials and indices, I reckon it’s the most recognisable Rolex model to Joe Public. For one watch Rolex owners, it is far more popular than the Professional models.

The increased demand, leading to a shortage of SS Professional models to a walk in customer, has helped to give the model a higher prominence in the current market. Even WIS are coming to appreciate them.

How many models of watch are 100m waterproof (which I understand is different to the ubiquitous “water resistant to 10ATM”), yet can look both like a dress watch and sports watch, depending on strap/bracelet/dial combination.

https://monochrome-watches.com/watchtim ... ory-rolex-
726F4507-3056-460E-8B3C-495DFF0D0B2F.jpeg
DA37BF98-A8EE-45E0-95AA-46125A3604E5.jpeg
7589569B-7F74-42B4-A6BD-05A9C6E4691D.jpeg
As to the divisive cyclops, Mrs nbg thinks that it’s an excellent invention.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

I’m going to give you a little vintage icon now that I have been rather fond of for a long time. The Tissot Navigator World Timer dates back to the 1950s, the end of what we might call the golden age of the ocean liner, before they all became cruise ships and the jet aircraft shrank the world. What a wonderful travelling companion this would have made on a journey of several weeks to south Asia, the Far East or Australia/New Zealand. I just think the dial is absolutely fabulous, and the choice of cities is sometimes resonant of an age now past.

I almost got my hands on a very good example a couple of years ago, but I was beaten to it. Still vaguely but not actively on the lookout for one. It’s probably a bit redundant these days but still a marvellous little contraption.

Image from Black Bough
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

On the other end of the scale lives those watches which while not extravagant or even particularly of world-class quality have been a staple in the world of horology. Responsible for drawing in many to the world of mechanical watches due to simplicity, resilience and value, there cant’t be many which can beat the Seiko SKX007.
FAC6618A-15AA-4171-AED3-45C47C893AAF.jpeg
While dating back to only the mid 90s, the 007 together with its sibling 009 (the same other than the colours) have lineage preceding it by several decades. A cheap but reliable movement which neither hacks or hand-winds and a bracelet built down to a price, the Seiko has still had a huge following. It’s ubiquity and cult following, not least for those who wish to apply their own stamp of customisation it is surely qualified to take the mantle of iconic. Do I have one? No. I don’t particularly like them either, but I do admire the grip it has had on the beater market for nearly a quarter century.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Never bought one, but often been tempted. Can be recognised a mile off.

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Another breitling that could maybe claim icon status and been around a fair old while now in quite a few revisions...
4F85FB88-4F0B-496A-86B5-90EC035CE40D.jpeg
Funny enough I have a version landing tomorrow
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia

nbg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am I give you the Rolex Datejust. Launched in 1945, to most folk outside the strange world of WIS, Rolex = Datejust.

By far the best selling Rolex model. Available with a range of sizes, materials, dials and indices, I reckon it’s the most recognisable Rolex model to Joe Public. For one watch Rolex owners, it is far more popular than the Professional models.
Without doubt an excellent watch. Gets a bit of a bad press in watch forum circles generally, but I wonder how much of that is due to the fallout from the yuppie associations of a generation ago.
Steve

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

For how many of us in the US, was this our first watch? I know it was for me, and I wore it for years! And the same was true of my parents’ generation. Nowadays, maybe not so much. I wish I still had mine.
78D7B42A-50DB-48E4-8872-E07CFF71B9C7.jpeg
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 am
nbg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am I give you the Rolex Datejust. Launched in 1945, to most folk outside the strange world of WIS, Rolex = Datejust.

Without doubt an excellent watch. Gets a bit of a bad press in watch forum circles generally, but I wonder how much of that is due to the fallout from the yuppie associations of a generation ago.
Never really thought in terms of a yuppie/Datejust association. I had put the often lukewarm WIS reception down to it being a watch that “other people wear” and it being a bit small for the often dive watch focused folk that tend to inhabit most watch forums.

I always thought the archetypal 1980s yuppie watch to be a Pepsi GMT Master. No change there then, I hear you say...... :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Instantly recognisable to most people due to the franchise that revamped it the Omega seamaster has an iconic shape with the helium release valve the original wave pattern borrowed for the first tridents.
It's been updated a few times but the iconic look still remains as part of its DNA.
Used allegedly by the SBS,
A favorite of bond ( even if he is paid to wear it )
And worn by our future king.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Paul beat me to it. The one and only Reverso. In all its variants.

Bjørn
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Watches have long been associated with motorsport, and few watches more so than this icon.

Originally introduced in 1969 by Heuer in honour of the Monaco Grand Prix, and also worn by the icon that was Steve McQueen in the film Le Mans, the (Tag) Heuer Monaco. Unmistakeable if not only for it's distinctive square case.

One of my favourite versions of this watch is the Gulf edition.
TAG-Heuer-Monaco-Gulf-2018-Special-Edition-review-3-845x550.jpg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way