Consolidating

A place to discuss other watch-brands
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Consolidating

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Has anyone consolidated a few watches into one and then regretted it afterwards? I'm thinking of selling a few watches and cut down the number to get either an archimede outdoor protect or a stowa partitio (very different watches)

I'm not wearing the ones I'm thinking of selling, I had previously thought about getting a tudor north flag but I tired one recently and although it's a great watch I'm not sure that's the direction I want my collection to go in

So what are your thoughts yes or no?
Neil
Tally
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: Consolidating

Post by Tally »

I have done the same to get a couple of watches I wanted and despite being torn at the time and having buyers remorse at the new purchase I don't regret doing so now.
The same as yourself, they stayed put in the watch box being unworn and would rather they go to a good home and enjoyed on a wrist.

If I didn't sell then I would still be yearning for one of my grail watches and I know it would bug me more knowing I missed the opportunity to go for what I started this hobby for in the first place.
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
downer

Post by downer »

I have done it a few times with no significant regrets. I find it a good way to afford/justify the next purchase.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have started the process, albeit in a small way. However, I do not have any particular watch purchase in mind at the moment. It is simply that I have too many and I’m not wearing a significant number of them at all.

To answer your question Neil, yes I would do it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

It's my intention to reduce the collection by a significant number as they are just not getting wrist time....nothing planned as a purchase though.
Senior

Consolidating

Post by Zetaplus93 »

Yes, have consolidated 15+ watches down to 2-3 watches. No regrets. Definitely feels nicer to be able to not have too many watches sitting unworn in the watch box.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I've tried on several occasions to consolidate my collection but, in the long term, have failed miserably.

My collection is currently bigger than ever.

Maybe, one day?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

At one point I reduced my collection down to three on the basis that would be all I needed to actually wear, but obviously it was not to be as it crept up again. Somehow I seem to find further options that fit in......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I've done it a few times and it's always worked out fine. Then a few cheaper (but fun) watches start to creep into the collection again and after another year or two I have to do it again! Such is the fun of collecting. :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Parting with watches that are not worn, yep I would go with that with no regrets. :thumbup:

On the other hand I don’t think I would ever get to grips with moving on say 3 or 4 that I really like and wear regularly, to use the proceeds to buy a single new watch with all of the proceeds. I think that I would regret.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

So far in 2019: sold 6; bought 1, plus on AD list for another.

The disposals were watches that I rarely wore, yet I felt guilty about owning them but not wearing them. I’ve not thought about any of them since selling so it was obviously the correct course of action.

This has resulted in a much smaller collection which are all worn regularly and I’m very content with. There’s probably nothing left in my collection that I’d ever want to sell, so I guess I know how this will pan out in a year or so... :?
Tim
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

Yeah, i have sold a lot in the last few years and currently have 3 proper watches. A daily c60 mk3, a vintage omega for smarter occasions and a panda speedy pro(mitsukoshi modded dial) for weekends and evenings. It works great for me and I dont miss the watches I sold (mainly seiko divers) and I certainly dont miss the paralysis of analysis every morning working out what watxh to wear or why I haven't worn one for ages.

My aim is to build on the 3 I have so maybe a reverso and no date sub will come in to replace the current dive/dress watches
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS