Hamtun Watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
TPS10
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Hamtun Watches

Post by TPS10 »

I know there’s a few of us on here that have backed the Hamtun Kraken on Kickstarter, so I thought it was time for a new thread on Hamtun Watches.
I have just taken delivery of the Hamtun Nanok watch and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with the quality, it has exceeded my expectations. I have been wearing it for a couple of days now, and it is incredibly comfortable. Being a 39mm watch, and all my other watches being 41mm+, it initially took time to feel comfortable with the smaller size, but it is probably a better fit for my small wrists. I was also concerned by the bulky ratcheting clasp, but so far it has not been a problem to wear, but to my mind it does look too bulky for this size watch. However it is very useful being able to adjust the watch without having to take it off, especially in this heat and as I said it is incredibly comfortable.
All in all a really nice watch and very different from any of my other watches. For those of you waiting for the Kraken, if this is anything to go by, that watch is going to be a real cracker.
I’m no expert at doing reviews, so this YouTube link gives a more thorough review https://youtu.be/xGYuGDwr8mU

Obviously photos are required, so a few quick iPhone images and details on the size.
E1465AF6-1184-47FD-9F10-DD78E74EFD1D.jpeg
B03C56CC-2AF6-4E79-85BD-6854661E430E.jpeg
0AE601B0-5F83-4129-9949-EE927750516D.jpeg
530B9BE9-80EA-4DE0-8C6F-E418541D34E6.jpeg
78B7ECAF-88A4-423F-9C59-1AA4F74ADFF0.jpeg
D78ECD4F-A275-4F9B-B028-33A8A2D428A2.jpeg
0544AF43-DB9A-49D6-887A-27F4CB6C8B05.jpeg
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Re: Hamtun Watches

Post by theemaadhatter »

TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Is it just me, or is the Nanok a bit of a puzzle? I really dont get who's going to need the day emblazoned across the top of the dial. And that clasp - I've had one on a Seiko Sumo bracelet where its chunkiness blended in but here, on this somewhat slimmer case? It must be me....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I think it is a good looking watch, although the bracelet clasp for me is a bit large/bulky.

For the price, the full price appears to be just over £400, it's very good value.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TPS10
Senior
Senior

Post by TPS10 »

tikkathree wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:47 am Is it just me........I really dont get who's going to need the day emblazoned across the top of the dial.
I’m sure it’s not just you, but that was the main reason that I was attracted to this watch. All down to individual taste I suppose
And that clasp - I've had one on a Seiko Sumo bracelet where its chunkiness blended in but here, on this somewhat slimmer case? It must be me....
Agreed that the clasp looks too bulky. My head is telling me it shouldn’t work, but somehow it feels good and hasn’t been a problem yet (however, I reserve the right to change that view with extended wear!). It is an incredibly comfortable watch to wear.
TPS10
Senior
Senior

Post by TPS10 »

For those of you waiting for the Hamtun Kraken and like me, deciding between the ratcheting clasp and the standard clasp, I believe the difference is shown in the two photos below. This is just my interpretation and maybe incorrect, but from all the information given, is what I believe to be the case. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on whether this is correct and which you’re going for.
Ratcheting clasp (photos of my Nanok in SS).
8BE067C3-1D73-4FAB-B71E-17040B057A4B.jpeg
Standard clasp, from original Kickstarter images.
B29B3E0E-DDB2-43C4-804C-59EF2516D3C9.jpeg
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Thanks for posting pics of clasps. I’ve asked for them this morning on the Kickstarter page. There is a significant difference in the size.

If, as someone has mentioned, the clasps on the rubber and ss bracelets are interchangeable then I could go for the ratcheting clasp on the bracelet and thinner ordinary clasp on rubber. Best of both worlds then.

As the Krakens are divers as opposed to yours being more of a dress watch, the thick clasp may not be such an issue.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am Thanks for posting pics of clasps. I’ve asked for them this morning on the Kickstarter page. There is a significant difference in the size.

If, as someone has mentioned, the clasps on the rubber and ss bracelets are interchangeable then I could go for the ratcheting clasp on the bracelet and thinner ordinary clasp on rubber. Best of both worlds then.

As the Krakens are divers as opposed to yours being more of a dress watch, the thick clasp may not be such an issue.
That's exactly what I've gone for- the expanding clasp on the bracelet, leaving me able to change to the regular clasp provided with the rubber strap. I must admit the ratcheting clasp does look like it's disproportionately large, but at least the additional clasp on the strap allows us to hedge our bets. I'm not sure quite why the clasp is so thick- there are many manufacturers of ratcheting clasps which don't look anywhere near as large (looking a you CW, Citizen, chinese glidelocks).
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

I finally received my 3 Hamtuns 2 weeks ago, very happy with quality and feel.

However, this morning I received 3 more. Exactly the same order, so obviously Ross (Hamtun creator) is sending out spares just in case of problems.

I wonder if CW could adopt this policy 😂
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Nothing seen here yet- hopefully soon.
Rich

Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

Anyone looking to get the Kraken H3 via Kickstarter today?
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

I have an H2 from the previous campaign and do think that it, as with the upcoming H3 3-handers, represents good value for money if purchased in one of the early-bird price points. Since I already have one I don't feel the need for another.

I do think they have their work cut out with the GMT. Even if purchased as one of the early specials (£499-£549 depending on luck and timing), for a little extra they're batting against alternatives such as the Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 GMT which in my view represents a better quality proposition.
Rich

nburgess
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by nburgess »

I am tempted. I'm guessing most on here who have previously backed these opted for the Sellita movement ?
Just trying to decide if it's worth the £100 premium.
I like the GMT, but not sure I can justify that at present.
Neil
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

nburgess wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:35 am I am tempted. I'm guessing most on here who have previously backed these opted for the Sellita movement ?
Just trying to decide if it's worth the £100 premium.
I like the GMT, but not sure I can justify that at present.
My thoughts exactly.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Given that the case (back) thickness was kept the same irrespective of movement (even though the Selitta is thinner), I decided to go with the Seiko movement. I’d not bought a Hamtun before, so I wasn’t sure how I’d like it (it’s actually rather good) and I’m perfectly happy with the Seiko movements used.

I’ve also posted before about my reservations of the use of “Hamtun” as a British based watch name, when it sounds like it should be based in Hong Kong, so I wasn’t sure if I’d keep it for too long.

As it turns out, I’m quite partial to the watch, so think I will be keeping it...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier