Steinhart vs CW divers

A place to discuss other watch-brands
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Steinhart vs CW divers

Post by MorrisOx »

After an IWC splurge last year, I’ve now found a few quid down the back of the sofa, so to speak, and am thinking of chucking it at a black/red Steinhart GMT Ocean One via Chronomaster.

Mulling over whether the new CW alternatives are better (having steered clear of CW altogether for because of logo-related antipathy), so interested in forum views on respective value/quality.

Ta for any feedback.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Longines Master Chrono Moonphase
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Steinhart vs CW divers

Post by johnnysharp2 »

I have a Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium - fantastic watch.

Customer Service is excellent. Ordered Monday and watch arrived from Germany on the Thursday.

I wouldn't hesitate getting another one.

I think in a Steinhart v CW there isn't much to choose, both offer quality watches at affordable prices, my choice was mainly as I liked that specific watch and I didn't have a Steinhart, so I was keen to get one.

Aa for the movement differences I am probably not qualified, appearance and build quality I would say both of a high order.

I think the bracelet on my CW Trident Orange is a little nicer than the Steinhart and I have heard others say the leather straps aren't quite the highest quality also, overall though very nice.
Johnny
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

Thanks for your reply, Johnny.

I already have an Aviation GMT (quality excellent) and a Nav B Chrono II (decent for a sub £1k 7750), but can't quite tell whether the Ocean One cuts the mustard as Steinhart’s photos are overdone studio shots. £400-500 doesn’t sound like much for a mechanical GMT.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

MorrisOx wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:41 pm Thanks for your reply, Johnny.

I already have an Aviation GMT (quality excellent) and a Nav B Chrono II (decent for a sub £1k 7750), but can't quite tell whether the Ocean One cuts the mustard as Steinhart’s photos are overdone studio shots. £400-500 doesn’t sound like much for a mechanical GMT.
That's the slight problem with CW and Steinhart, a bit reliant on their website photos.

Have you tried doing a search on watchuseek forum as they have a dedicated Steinhart section on there.
Johnny
groovin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by groovin »

Just received my first Steinhart. This is an Ocean One special edition for Gnomon and initially I just ordered it because of the awesome ceramic bezel.

I must say I am really impressed with the quality and looks of the watch. Initial impressions are as follow:
  • Crown movement, winding and screw-down action is really smooth way better than several of my CW.
  • The bezel rotation has also impressed me and is really solid and has no play whatsoever.
  • Finishing overall is also really good, I love the bezel and can't really say if the pictures do it justice.
  • I still need to get adjusted to the date cyclops and even though the quality is solid I would probably opt for one without if possible. But it is my first watch with such "gimmick" so maybe it will grow on me
  • Bracelet is rock solid and confortable
  • Oh and timekeeping as seen on the timegrapher so far outstanding
  • Finally lume is way better than CW but somehow it can't beat the C3 on my oris aquis
I must say I wasn't expecting to like this watch so much!

Here are some first pictures of the watch:
IMG_20190802_174046.jpg
IMG_20190802_174110.jpg
IMG_20190802_174211.jpg
IMG_20190802_174439.jpg
IMG_20190802_174550.jpg
IMG_20190802_174128.jpg
IMG_20190802_174142.jpg
IMG_20190802_174456.jpg
IMG_20190802_174532.jpg
IMG_20190802_174550.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-175012.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190802_152624.jpg
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Looks great, lovely watch.
Johnny
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

Took the plunge, via Neil at Chronomaster. as per the comments above, lovely finish, good bracelet and - so far - very good timekeeping.
B07AFA76-12B6-479F-A7F9-79570486F1D0.jpeg
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Well done :thumbup:
...very nice :)
groovin
Senior
Senior

Post by groovin »

Looks good grats on the new watch!
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Great looking watches.... mostly because they're sailing very close to the Rolex replica wind!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

Well, yes...the interchangeability of the words ‘replica’ and ‘homage’ never cease to amaze me!

Guess Rolex must have concluded some time ago that it just makes the real thing that much more desirable. Having said that - and with great respect to those who do - I could just never justify shelling out on one.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Congratulations and great looking Steinhart!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I'll say this one more time...That high relief black bezel is a gamechanger. Love it.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

watchaholic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm I'll say this one more time...That high relief black bezel is a gamechanger. Love it.
What is surprising is how quickly they managed to get it to market after the new ym 42was announced.
They are very very homagy but they do make a really good job of it and prices are really decent
Cheers now, Paul
groovin
Senior
Senior

Post by groovin »

watchaholic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm I'll say this one more time...That high relief black bezel is a gamechanger. Love it.
Love the bezel and the watch overall but now after having it for 2 weeks I don't understand how the lume can be that bad.

When you say you use BGW9 you set the expectations quite high and the watch just disappoints on this aspect. And it can't be a cost issue if you look like other manufacturers like Zelos who work in the same price margins but provide amazing lume.

And the second issue I have is that it's such a missed opportunity that the hour indexes are so flat ok the dial. But I guess that really is a cost aspect and making them more solid and higher would cost more. The watch loses so much presence because of that while it manages to gain so much from the bezel.

But overall very pleased with my first Steinhart.