Dealers, discounts and finance....

A place to discuss other watch-brands
ricardo75
Senior
Senior

Dealers, discounts and finance....

Post by ricardo75 »

A sky box full of moon landing documentaries has inspired me to look again at purchasing my grail watch, the Speedmaster Professional.

I originally planned to get one 4 years ago for my 40th but some unexpected expenses meant having to delay what would be my most expensive watch purchase. Unfortunately, in those 4 years the price has gone up considerably from c£2,500 for a grey market purchase to over £3,000 with the list price now £3,810!

So as I was in London today I decided to call in at the Regent Street branch of Watches of Switzerland to see what kind of discount they could offer and was told (politely) none. The salesman did however point out they do an extremely attractive 0% finance deal with 10% deposit over as much as 4 years.

A quick bit of searching online and I have found out that both Goldsmiths and Mappin & Webb do the same finance deal and so my questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone managed to get a discount on a new watch (ideally a Speedy) at any of the 3 dealers mentioned above?

2. Has anyone managed to get a discount at any of the 3 dealers mentioned above AND the 0% finance deal?

3. Has anyone managed to get a discount AND a similar finance deal (0%) anywhere else?

Thanks in advance!
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Dealers, discounts and finance....

Post by what-time-is-it »

The dealers you mention are all part of Watches of Switzerland group (previously Aurum Holdings). https://www.thewosgroupplc.com/about-us ... witzerland

I know when you see discounts and campaigns with Goldsmiths online, any interest free offers on discounted watches tend to be over a 2 year term max and then longer terms at a charge. No hands on experience with attempting a face to face discount on a specific Omega model or on finance.

Discounted Omegas with 0% free up to 24mths listed below.
https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/SALE/fil ... relevance/
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

I picked up a moon watch pro (sapphire) from an independent authorised Omega dealer earlier this year. The dealer is Banks Lyons in Lancaster.
I got mine for less than the RRP of the hesalite version.
I have also picked up a speedy racing from them 3 years ago with a 20 o/o discount.
I have recently seen press articles about Swatch taking action on discounts and grey market though, so things may be changing.
I suggest trying an independent dealer and honing your haggling skills! Find somewhere cheap, like Iconic watches and ask for a price match.
Good luck
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Hesalite version £3150
Sapphire version £3695

at Hackett Watches, London.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Ian Mc wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:22 pm I picked up a moon watch pro (sapphire) from an independent authorised Omega dealer earlier this year. The dealer is Banks Lyons in Lancaster.
I got mine for less than the RRP of the hesalite version.
I have also picked up a speedy racing from them 3 years ago with a 20 o/o discount.
I have recently seen press articles about Swatch taking action on discounts and grey market though, so things may be changing.
I suggest trying an independent dealer and honing your haggling skills! Find somewhere cheap, like Iconic watches and ask for a price match.
Good luck
Perhaps consider treating the Speedy purchase as a 'commodity' and the dealer with the best overall offer wins?

Consider letting them know you''ll be purchasing the Speedy on let's say August 1st and you are shopping your purchase to multiple Omega dealers.

Perhaps when they realize there is a firm purchase date their "compete" level goes up and a discount comes forward. Merely a suggestion.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

I managed a 15% discount when I bought my speedy earlier this year from Goldsmiths. When I was haggling, as is often the case, they asked if I required 0% finance. I assumed that if I’d said yes, my haggling might not have been so successful.

Those prices at Hackett watches look good. I’d go with them. I’ve looked at them previously, as they seem to get excellent reviews from happy buyers.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

Right now could be the worst possible time to negotiate a discount on a Speedmaster - I wonder how many others have been inspired to make a purchase?

Perhaps in a few months time when the surge in interest has waned and Christmas expenses are on the horizon you could be in a stronger bargaining position.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

...also I have used the four year interest free finance from Goldsmiths to buy a Speedmaster.

It was painless and suited me for two reasons :

1. It was the Bronze / Silver / Gold Speedmaster II in limited supply and so a discount didn't seem likely.

2. It was easier to keep the £4K in the bank and pay the finance rather than spend it up front and then try to put the savings back in!

One thing I did do was to have it insured as, if anything happened to it, it would be gutting to have to keep paying off something you no longer have!!!

The scary thing is how quickly 4 years flies by.
Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
ricardo75
Senior
Senior

Post by ricardo75 »

Thanks all for the feedback
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Hi Ricardo.
I had a similar experience at a local Beaverbrooks store.
I spent a very pleasant hour trying on various colour combinations and sizes of the Planet Ocean.
I was refused any sort of discount twice and offered 48 months interest free instead. A good price is more attractive to me than cheap finance.
I did get the full sales patter about you can walk out of here with your dream watch for 10% deposit.
I am now looking at well known grey market dealers who offer in the region of 20% discount.
Good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I have managed between 10% and 17.5% plus freebies (travel case etc.) on a few purchases from Berry’s in Leeds and York. As suggested above I always think it is prudent to try and agree a discount with out discussing financing if possible. My last significant purchase was made possible with a 30 month interest free credit card balance transfer, could be worth looking into.
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

I bought mine for £2700 bnwb&p grey market (Chrono24)- but luckily the warranty card was stamped (italian AD)

I then used a 0%credit card balance transfer after initially paying on a reward card (so I even got back a bit of money as cashback a month later). My plan was to sell the big box and all the stuff that came with it for £250, maybe even the bracelet for another £250 so the new watch would have cost me under 2k.... but I kept it all and love the watch! The box is a pain though being so big...

I hate Watches of Switzerland (in all their useless forms), but if you negotiate in the Omega Boutique (I like regent st) you can get a free service, strap/deployant clasp, a day watching making course etc as they cant discount as easily but can throw stuff in. They're really nice and helpful- Juliya(red head at regent st) and I think Errol is his name (dreadlocks and an X-33, used to work at stratford but now bond st) are particularly nice and helpful.
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

ricardo75 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm A sky box full of moon landing documentaries has inspired me to look again at purchasing my grail watch, the Speedmaster Professional.
Hi ricardo75.....might there be any updates for us on your Speedy pursuit?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy