Decisions, decisions.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
rambothejambo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Decisions, decisions.

Post by rambothejambo »

After many years of buying/selling/flipping some reasonably priced watches, next April I will be in the very fortunate position of being able to purchase a few of my "grail" watches. Currently these include a black bay red, a speedmaster and the red dialled version of the newly released Oris Big Crown. My only potential issue (which I hope I can get some advice from fellow forumees) is that I need to wear my reading glasses more and more these days. My eyesight is still pretty good (only 1.5 strength on my glasses) but what I would like to ask are any of these potential purchases easily legible without my glasses. I have noticed, for example my C9 5 Day doesn't seem to be as legible as when I first purchased it :shock: My eyes (no pun intended) seem to be drawn to some of the new Damaskos, they seem to be very legible. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary.
nordwulf

Re: Decisions, decisions.

Post by nordwulf »

I am in the same position and prefer more legible watches these days. My Damasko DA36 is the most legible and I can see the time across a room. I had a few chronographs but seeing the small subdials becomes more difficult.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

The Black Bay and the Speedmaster are both very legible watches in my experience.

Considering the Speedmaster is a chronograph it is remarkably easy to see the time - probably the best chrono in this respect.

Richard
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

downer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 pm The Black Bay and the Speedmaster are both very legible watches in my experience.

Considering the Speedmaster is a chronograph it is remarkably easy to see the time - probably the best chrono in this respect.
Agree with comments about the Speedmaster. For PC work and reading I normally wear glasses but don't need them to see any area on the Speedmaster dial.
rambothejambo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rambothejambo »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 pm
downer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 pm The Black Bay and the Speedmaster are both very legible watches in my experience.

Agree with comments about the Speedmaster. For PC work and reading I normally wear glasses but don't need them to see any area on the Speedmaster dial.
Reassuring to hear about the Speedmaster's legibility, this has probably been the first watch I have always wanted to own.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I feel rather the same about legibility. I think I’ve just about given up on complicated dials and chronographs with their subdials; whilst attractive in photos, they are not so good for me in real life.

My limited experience with Tudors is that they’re very easy to read and hopefully in the near future I’ll be able to further confirm this for a Black Bay 🤗

I’m also very keen on the Oris big crown in burgundy. I’ve tried it on and really liked it, but my only reservation is the red date pointer which seems to disappear somewhat into the chapter ring. Nevertheless, it’s an extremely nice watch in my opinion.
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Speedmaster. Simples.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Another vote for the Speedmaster Moonwatch (handwound 1861 and Hesalite crystal, naturally) even though I have recently sold mine.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I'm also in 1.5 readers and Speedmaster is no problem except if I want to read the sub dials clearly….then I need my readers.

Candidly I know what the markers are on the sundials so can very much guess at the seconds with out the aid of glasses
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I'm in a very similar position, i can no longer read a date window, but as others have mentioned, the speedmaster is very legible, even the subdails without my specs (1.5x readers)

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39