WTB Watch winder motor

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Post Reply
User avatar
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
Location: Canary Wharf

WTB Watch winder motor

Post by rcherryuk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello,

Can anyone help?

I’m looking to replace two watch winder motors and cannot find a source that doesn’t have a minimum order quantity of 100 or a requirement to be resident in the US!

I need two of these:

TK-500TB watch winder motor
http://songgang88.en.alibaba.com/produc ... inder.html
Image
I’m in the Netherlands and will happily pay any reasonable cost including the postage.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson

0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by 0uatiOW » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:11 pm

Have you tried ebay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Mabuchi- ... Swq9lZhtJA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mabuchi-RF-5 ... SwJ7RYUU8o

These are still shipped from the US but you don’t have to buy 100. If they work out, would you mind sharing how to install them? I have a new winder which just gave up and because it was included with an eBay purchase from a private seller I’m SOL asking for a refund.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22017
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 28
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:26 pm

I've got a dead watch winder, too.

Might take a look at trying to replace the motor, or at least taking it to pieces and seeing what is what.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C20 FLE |C4 |C4&W7 BBMF |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkI 47AD |C7 MkII Harrier |C70 x3
C8 MkI |C8 Reg MkII |C8 M2.04 LE |C8 UTC |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC LE |C90 PR |C60 K'fisher |C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex |C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Khaki |C65 S'hurst |C65 GMT |C600 |C1000

User avatar
timor54
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by timor54 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm

0uatiOW wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:11 pm
Have you tried ebay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Mabuchi- ... Swq9lZhtJA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mabuchi-RF-5 ... SwJ7RYUU8o

These are still shipped from the US but you don’t have to buy 100. If they work out, would you mind sharing how to install them? I have a new winder which just gave up and because it was included with an eBay purchase from a private seller I’m SOL asking for a refund.
Having had a very quick look at the spec’s of these I’d be suspicious. Whilst the motor model number appears to match, they quote a operating voltage of 3V for the complete assembly as opposed to 6V for the motor (although the operating range is 1.5 to 12V?). Also the max. current and torque figures do not match. Nevertheless, given where they come from, either or neither of the spec sheets may be correct :-k

Rob,
Have you actually taken the motor assembly out of the winder and had a look at it? The schematic assembly diagram shows the motor driving a series of gear wheels via a belt and pulley. It looks like the plastic gearbox assembly is just held together by four Philips/cross-headed screws.

Before ordering just a motor I’d have a look inside that first. In my experience it’s more likely to be a mechanical problem than a simple motor failure. It’d take a lot for a fairly simple high torque motor to burn out...
Tim

User avatar
richtel
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 887
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm
CW-watches: 8
Location: Cotswolds

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by richtel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Verifying the motor's at fault would be pretty easy though- they appear to be just brushed DC motors. I'd look for continuity between the terminals of a few 10's of ohms. Putting a bench power supply across it (or a fresh PP3 9V battery) should make it spin OK.

Nevertheless, these seem quite cheap https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-gear ... 55685.html

User avatar
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
Location: Canary Wharf

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by rcherryuk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm

timor54 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm
0uatiOW wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:11 pm
Have you tried ebay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Mabuchi- ... Swq9lZhtJA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mabuchi-RF-5 ... SwJ7RYUU8o

These are still shipped from the US but you don’t have to buy 100. If they work out, would you mind sharing how to install them? I have a new winder which just gave up and because it was included with an eBay purchase from a private seller I’m SOL asking for a refund.
Having had a very quick look at the spec’s of these I’d be suspicious. Whilst the motor model number appears to match, they quote a operating voltage of 3V for the complete assembly as opposed to 6V for the motor (although the operating range is 1.5 to 12V?). Also the max. current and torque figures do not match. Nevertheless, given where they come from, either or neither of the spec sheets may be correct :-k

Rob,
Have you actually taken the motor assembly out of the winder and had a look at it? The schematic assembly diagram shows the motor driving a series of gear wheels via a belt and pulley. It looks like the plastic gearbox assembly is just held together by four Philips/cross-headed screws.

Before ordering just a motor I’d have a look inside that first. In my experience it’s more likely to be a mechanical problem than a simple motor failure. It’d take a lot for a fairly simple high torque motor to burn out...
I’ve taken it out, actually really easy to do, the whole platform is hinged at the base and held in by clips at the top.

Mine is the 6 winder version, and the two right hand turntables are linked, unplugging this motor resurrected the other one, but this one is totally dead. I’ve contacted a seller on Aliexpress as they gave a minimum order of 5, so if they can supply the motor/gearbox combo I’ll do that. It would still be cheaper than eBay at $44 plus $$ postage.

Will keep you posted.
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson

User avatar
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
Location: Canary Wharf

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by rcherryuk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:17 pm

I managed to acquire 5 of these from the manufacturer (the motor not the winder) so am set for life hopefully.

Will happily sell 2 of them at 10 EUR with postage in EU.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson

alstalda
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 am

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by alstalda » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 pm

rcherryuk wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:17 pm
I managed to acquire 5 of these from the manufacturer (the motor not the winder) so am set for life hopefully.

Will happily sell 2 of them at 10 EUR with postage in EU.

Rob
Are the motors still for sale?

Alan

helicopter pat
Junior
Junior
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:29 pm
CW-watches: 11

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by helicopter pat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm

I have got these from Ebay. I have found that sometimes the shaft needs to be shortened to fit in the gearbox.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6X-New-Electr ... 42017db1b4

User avatar
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3456
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
Location: Canary Wharf

Re: WTB Watch winder motor

Post by rcherryuk » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:08 pm

alstalda wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 pm
rcherryuk wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:17 pm
I managed to acquire 5 of these from the manufacturer (the motor not the winder) so am set for life hopefully.

Will happily sell 2 of them at 10 EUR with postage in EU.

Rob
Are the motors still for sale?

Alan
Alan,
Just PM’d ya,
Yes they are, I’ll take a pic and send it to you, can you PM me your email address as this ‘send email’ thing on here doesn’t seem to work for me :-)

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson

Post Reply