Collector’s dilemma...Do you wear ‘em all?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Collector’s dilemma...Do you wear ‘em all?

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:38 am
The rest barely get a look-in these days, including my rather nice collection of vintage watches which I now hardly ever wear. I can go to put another watch on in the morning, but find myself saying “Oh, but I could wear the xxxx today!” and on it goes. And if I do manage to leave the house with a different watch on, one of these is normally back on the wrist within 10 minutes of my getting home.
I can identify with your comment which I've put in bold font. Pre-retirement, I was finding that some watches "would have been wasted on my place of work" so there was this separation between "watches for work" and the others which I deemed inappropriate for any one of a number of reasons. What you're feeling is just a symptom of having >1 watch: learn to cope my friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:38 am

Option one: do nothing as usual and find myself a year from now with pretty much the same collection, most of which has probably not been worn more than once in the year.

Option two: identify and sell off the least worn pieces, accepting that some of them might be difficult to shift and it will certainly not be profitable. I would then be left with these four plus a few that I am more attached to.

Option three: similar to the above but with a more drastic pruning strategy. Thinking ahead, I am still interested in acquiring an Explorer when I retire next year. An Exp2 would almost certainly render the C60 redundant, and an Exp1 could have the same effect on the C65.
Option one avoids "Act in haste, repent at leisure" and obviously any "one out, one in" rule will apply as you wish.

Option 2 should really only apply if the watches involved would have been through the door anyway.

Option 3 Deal with "next year" during 2020 unless you want to minimise your own pain by trickling watches out through the door to contribute to the retirement purchases.

Take your time, don't be in a hurry unless you're 200% certain that a particular piece actually has had its day.
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 300 white,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21 x2, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT,
C6 Kingfisher x4,
C60 K'fisher
C600 Tritech x 3,
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Collector’s dilemma...Do you wear ‘em all?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

tikkathree wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:51 pm
Take your time, don't be in a hurry unless you're 200% certain that a particular piece actually has had its day.
Sound and sensible advice, for which I thank you. I intend to take a long hard look over the summer.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238