Collector’s dilemma...Do you wear ‘em all?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Collector’s dilemma...Do you wear ‘em all?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sunday morning musings…

The answer for me used to be yes, pretty much. I had watches that were in favour and that changed a bit from time to time, but essentially they all got a decent turn.

Now it is a resounding no. The blame lies entirely with these four:

4635F0A2-1E52-4BD5-9EB9-F4580BE28BC6.jpeg
The Speedmaster is my go-to watch, and without doubt it gets worn more than any other. The Cartier is the one I turn to when I need something a little more sophisticated to slip under a cuff. The Trident GMT has the travel slot sewn up, and the C65 is my favourite casual watch, particularly in nice weather.

The rest barely get a look-in these days, including my rather nice collection of vintage watches which I now hardly ever wear. I can go to put another watch on in the morning, but find myself saying “Oh, but I could wear the xxxx today!” and on it goes. And if I do manage to leave the house with a different watch on, one of these is normally back on the wrist within 10 minutes of my getting home.

I seem to be stuck permanently at Level 6! . (I wrote this 3 years ago but it seems uncannily prescient of my current situation) :lol:

It seems I have three options:

Option one: do nothing as usual and find myself a year from now with pretty much the same collection, most of which has probably not been worn more than once in the year.

Option two: identify and sell off the least worn pieces, accepting that some of them might be difficult to shift and it will certainly not be profitable. I would then be left with these four plus a few that I am more attached to.

Option three: similar to the above but with a more drastic pruning strategy. Thinking ahead, I am still interested in acquiring an Explorer when I retire next year. An Exp2 would almost certainly render the C60 redundant, and an Exp1 could have the same effect on the C65.

Bearing all that in mind, I could easily see myself with a collection of three (or four) watches plus perhaps one nice vintage and a complete beater. The proof being that that is what I pretty much wear anyway. I would certainly find it easier to reconcile myself to that now than I would have done a couple of years ago.

Given that the Omega and the Cartier are completely safe for personal reasons, I would always be interested to hear people’s thoughts.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Collector’s dilemma...Do you wear ‘em all?

Post by Andyshall »

I can see why you have this dilemma, four lovely watches.
Unless you need the money or feel the watches you don’t wear might drop quickly in value I would keep the collection until you retire. Things may change over that time especially depending on the Explorer you buy. I have a similar situation with a rotation of ten and another eight (like yours, mostly vintage) that are rarely worn. Unfortunately my retirement is a little further off. Good luck with the musings.
Jeff Spangle
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Jeff Spangle »

I have over 40 watches, 16-17 are what I would call nice ones.

I try to rotate those but it's not easy. I do have my favorites. Do I wear the rest? Usually in the evening for an hour or two.

Realistically, no I don't wear them all. They are fun to look at and handle though.
________________________________________________________________________________
various - Casio, Lego, TAG, Tudor, Seiko, Mondaine, Orient, Davis, Victorinox, Tissot, Alpina, Omega

and 3 Christopher Wards
Savagemouse
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Savagemouse »

This was something that I mulled over for a long time. A few years ago I was happy with 1 or 2 pieces this quickly shot up to the point I had 2 full watches boxes.
This year I needed to free up some funds and saw this an opportunity to downsize. I listed just a few thinking I would massively regret it and at the time they went I did, but now I don't miss them at all and likely will move a few more on and try and get a nicer piece

On the plus side I have lot more storage just from getting rid of the boxes :shock:
Matt
Amor Vincit Omnia

Jeff Spangle wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:01 am I have over 40 watches, 16-17 are what I would call nice ones.

I try to rotate those but it's not easy. I do have my favorites. Do I wear the rest? Usually in the evening for an hour or two.

Realistically, no I don't wear them all. They are fun to look at and handle though.
You sound like more of a curator/collector than I am. Basically I’m a user/wearer, and if I’m not using them I tend not to look at or handle them. Probably why I’m feeling the need to cull.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I have around a dozen watches but do wear them all.

I've been fairly ruthless in the past year or so in that if I don't wear a watch then I'd probably sell it and replace with something else I have my eye on. The only exception to that would be something with a sentimental attachment, and I only have one such watch that I'd never sell.

Given your connection to the CW brand, it would be sad if you parted with both the C60 and C65 to replace then with a pair of Explorers. Perhaps you are just mulling over getting one or other of the Rolex when you retire? Would the Exp 2 usurp the C60 GMT as your go to holiday watch?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Jeff Spangle
Senior
Senior

Post by Jeff Spangle »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:22 am
Jeff Spangle wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:01 am I have over 40 watches, 16-17 are what I would call nice ones.

You sound like more of a curator/collector than I am. Basically I’m a user/wearer, and if I’m not using them I tend not to look at or handle them. Probably why I’m feeling the need to cull.
I have a fascination with time. Probably due to losing my mum three years ago, time heals, slowing time, reversing time. I don't know what.

Probably a job for a good psychiatrist :(
________________________________________________________________________________
various - Casio, Lego, TAG, Tudor, Seiko, Mondaine, Orient, Davis, Victorinox, Tissot, Alpina, Omega

and 3 Christopher Wards
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thegreyman wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:34 am Given your connection to the CW brand, it would be sad if you parted with both the C60 and C65 to replace then with a pair of Explorers. Perhaps you are just mulling over getting one or other of the Rolex when you retire? Would the Exp 2 usurp the C60 GMT as your go to holiday watch?
Interesting question, Patrick. As far as the Rolex is concerned it would be one or the other. As regards an Explorer 2 replacing the C60, that’s fine in theory but in some parts of the world I would feel happier with a sub £1k watch than a £6k+ watch. So possibly not.
Jeff Spangle wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:34 am I have a fascination with time. Probably due to losing my mum three years ago, time heals, slowing time, reversing time. I don't know what.

Probably a job for a good psychiatrist :(
Commiserations, Jeff. I lost mine also back in 2017 and the Speedmaster was bought from part of her legacy. Hence it is irreplaceable by association. But in general I don’t have a really strong attachment to material things.
Steve

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Oh, dear. I think I'm in the 'too many watches' category.

If I wear two per day and three on Sunday, I still won't wear them all in a month.

Picked one of my quartz watches up a few days ago that I knew I hadn't worn for a while. It was on the correct time i.e. not been worn since October last year!

No matter, rationalisation is at hand with a 6 - 10 watch consolidation required for an incoming at the end of June.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:49 am
Thegreyman wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:34 am Given your connection to the CW brand, it would be sad if you parted with both the C60 and C65 to replace then with a pair of Explorers. Perhaps you are just mulling over getting one or other of the Rolex when you retire? Would the Exp 2 usurp the C60 GMT as your go to holiday watch?
Interesting question, Patrick. As far as the Rolex is concerned it would be one or the other. As regards an Explorer 2 replacing the C60, that’s fine in theory but in some parts of the world I would feel happier with a sub £1k watch than a £6k+ watch. So possibly not.
You're right there Steve, simple solution - get the Exp 2 and keep both!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I suffer from a permanent feeling of angst with regards to my watches. I hesitate to use the term ‘collection’ as I don’t think of myself as a collector, rather I have a selection of watches I want and like to wear.

I’m continually trying to keep the numbers down but invariably end up with fewer pieces of increasing quality (and cost...).

I’ve currently nine: four core that I wear above anything else; three colourful divers that make me smile when I wear them; and two others that are rarely worn and are about to leave the building.

Oh, I’ve also got a cheap G-Shock, but that doesn’t count, does it?
Tim
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am Oh, dear. I think I'm in the 'too many watches' category.

If I wear two per day and three on Sunday, I still won't wear them all in a month.

Picked one of my quartz watches up a few days ago that I knew I hadn't worn for a while. It was on the correct time i.e. not been worn since October last year!

No matter, rationalisation is at hand with a 6 - 10 watch consolidation required for an incoming at the end of June.

Guy
Guy, just did the sums, and even taking a non leap year February as the month :shock:

A 6-10 consolidation would decimate most collections, but I think you'll still be ok!

Interested to see what your end of June incoming is going to be, I'm sure you'll have us guessing nearer the time!
Patrick

Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Like you Steve I’ve come to realize that I’m a wearer and enthusiast, not a collector. Even so I have 12 (or is it 13?) watches. Do I wear them all? No, I don’t. I wear three of them regularly, and a couple more occasionally. So I should definitely sell a few. Problem is, I like them all. They are great watches. I still get why I bought them. I just don’t wear them.

And then there is the fact that there are a few watches I would like to buy. So, the bottom line is that I will need to move some watches along. And hope I won’t regret it. If previous sales are anything to go by I won’t.
Bjørn
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

I might need some sort of consolidation myself but after one or two culls recently, it will be very difficult.

My second Formex arrived yesterday (total now at 13) and as per the Kickstarter thread I have 3 Krakens arriving in September.

That would bring me very very close to my 17 watch box/winder maximum.

I use the OnMyWrist app, so I can track daily wear. All get worn fairly regularly but since Christmas arrival of Blue Formex, this is very much out in front.

Current list in no particular order, just as I remember is:-

Formex Essence Chronometer (Blue Dial)
Formex Essence Chronometer (Brown Dial)
Omega Seamaster Professional
Tag Heuer Professional 200
Christopher Ward Trident Pro 600
Raymond Weil The Beatles
Seiko Samurai Save The Ocean
Seiko Samurai - Orange
Certina DS-2 Precidrive
Bulova Moonwatch
Steinhart Ocean One Titanium GMT
EMG DL63
Citizen Grand Classic Signature
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Part of the problem for many of us to answer this is that many of your watches are vintage pieces. Thus many of us won't have a "feel" for how you view these for daily wearing considerations, don't know the financial impact of selling them or won't be aware of any personal association you have with them. From what I've read you are a user/wearer so having these as a "collection" isn't what you want these for so why not sell and have the money spare.

I didn't really have a "collection" but owned a few watches that were worn at various times. Last year I sold 2 x CWs and p/ex'd 2 x Tag Heuer's in order to finance the purchase of a new Speedmaster without having to add more than a couple of £hundred GBP. This watch is now rarely off my wrist and even the 2 other watches I want to keep don't get worn presently.

I love the 2 Rolex that you're considering and often think I would like to have them but tbh then think why spend £5k for an Explorer and/or £6-7k for the Exp2 when I have a watch that I want to wear every day? And on top of that you wouldn't consider wearing 1 of the Rolex in some locations (even though this might only be in foreign places).

Retirement can be a strange change to life. It might make you flip between "I've worked hard all my life so far so let's enjoy the remainder while I can and not worry about spending £6k on a watch" or "My main earning years are now over so why am I considering spending £6k on a watch that I'd leave at home when I go abroad".

IMO I think the 4 watches you show already cover all or most situations but maybe you could prepare the ground for retirement by selling anything that doesn't get worn and that you don't have a strong attachment also. Again IMO I'd then not make any further buying or selling decisions until 6 -12 months after retirement (heavy emphasis on the IMOs).