Farer watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Farer watches

Post by strapline »

Though a newbie to this forum, I have been looking at Farer's range of watches and am quite impressed by what I see. I know that there are members on this forum that are/or have been owners. I particularly like the Endeavour from their Aqua Compressor range; they've paid a fitting tribute to a bygone-era watch. Two straps with purchase is a nice gesture but, I feel warranted, as they're quite a spendy brand. All watches running on good ETA movements is also reassuring. I wonder what kind of job they do with regulating them before they go out to customers?

Anyway...any kind of feedback would be welcome, particularly where someone has experience with the 'Endeavour".

Thanks in advance.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Farer watches

Post by willttqs »

I have had a couple but moved them on. I had an Endeavour and an Endurance.
Of the two i preferred the Endeavour, although i don't think that the watch straps fitted that well.
I would get another but would not pay full price for it.
I think the quality of the cases was pretty good and better (imo) than CWs
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

willttqs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm I have had a couple but moved them on. I had an Endeavour and an Endurance.
Of the two i preferred the Endeavour, although i don't think that the watch straps fitted that well.
I would get another but would not pay full price for it.
I think the quality of the cases was pretty good and better (imo) than CWs
That's interesting, thanks for the reply btw. It sounds like you might have had a quality/value for money issue with them? Can I ask how you found them as timekeepers, given that the range come with ETA movements?
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Time keeping was fine. It is just that on eBay etc the resale value is much lower than you might expect.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

willttqs wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 am Time keeping was fine. It is just that on eBay etc the resale value is much lower than you might expect.
Unfortunately, resale values will always be an issue with microbrands. I don't think that's unique to Farer. It's also why I would question spending too much money on any microbrand watch. Once they're second hand you can pretty much reduce the value by 50%. This is where the high-end, luxury market wins; a lot of those brands at least hold their value, but there's a much bigger outlay.
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

That is true and why other than Rolex i would not pay full price on any brand no matter what the price unless in very limited supply, like the Sinn i just bought.

at least CW offer good discounts, so on resale you will not lose too much. Farer do not do this.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Is it just me or is it slightly sad that when buying a new watch one's foremost thought is its resale value.😢
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Galton321 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am Is it just me or is it slightly sad that when buying a new watch one's foremost thought is its resale value.😢
Possibly but when you are an addict (sorry, avid collector) then the likelihood of flipping is high and then economics have to come into the equation to some extent :problem:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Savagemouse
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Savagemouse »

Galton321 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am Is it just me or is it slightly sad that when buying a new watch one's foremost thought is its resale value.😢
I was thinking the same thing.

I actually own a Farer and very happy with it. The build quality is top notch and the slightly different design cues like the bronze crown or colours is a really nice touch.

as i have never sold one i cant tell you on resale but i was happy with paying full price.
Matt
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

A really good point. At present I own three watches, more than I've ever owned at one time. I didn't buy one based on its resale value. I would argue that when that is your foremost though you are an investor/speculator. And there's only handful of watches in the world that you can expect to get a significant return on. If you are looking for good returns buy early edition comics - Marvel DC or Manga. If you like good design aesthetics and the ability to tell the time, enjoy seeking out a nice watch...and wear it.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I tend to buy my watches with a 'what if' state of mind - with a fairly accurate guesstimate of what I'm likely to sell them for should they fall out of favour with me. This is based on the knowledge I have of the brand, the model and overall cost.

I've kept some watches for years, others for only a matter of weeks.

I have no problem buying from smaller brands, although I don't currently own any - but I wouldn't buy any watch that's say £1500+ from a microbrand and I wouldn't personally buy any CW TMB or Apex models no matter how amazing they are, because I would expect them to be difficult to move on and lose a fortune.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

strapline wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:00 pm
A really good point. At present I own three watches, more than I've ever owned at one time. I didn't buy one based on its resale value. I would argue that when that is your foremost though you are an investor/speculator. And there's only handful of watches in the world that you can expect to get a significant return on. If you are looking for good returns buy early edition comics - Marvel DC or Manga. If you like good design aesthetics and the ability to tell the time, enjoy seeking out a nice watch...and wear it.
Ultimately we are free to choose how to spend out money. No worries if you don’t agree, but personally I enjoying buying watches and finding good prices watches.