A place to discuss other watch-brands
cl11
CW-watches: 1

how reliable are the new microbrands?

Post by cl11 »

Hi,

I am interested in this watch from an obscure microbrand from Italy:

https://www.meccanicheveneziane.it/pages/redentore

it certainly does not have the organizations like CW, just from looking at the details in its website. I'm a bit unsure how reliable their products, and their support. It would be hard to chase after them given that i live in the US if there is anything wrong with it.

it does say their watches are swiss made, but that does not mean the quality can match that of CW.

does anyone has any experience with small microbrands?

thanks,
-Charles
-Charles

CW C60 Trident Pro 600
ventura v-matic EGO (2019 version)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: how reliable are the new microbrands?

Post by 0uatiOW »

As with every market there are good and bad. Magrette and Zelos are examples of the good (I would say very good), but the same can most definitely not be said for all microbrands.

There are so many out there, and I’ve read lots of feedback, good and bad, but I don’t have personal experience of any others so it would be unfair to make a judgement.

A lot of micro brands launch on Kickstarter, so have a look there, and look at the comments on their campaigns. MV has just launched a 3rd campaign and you should definitely read the comments made by backers about their GMT (many are still waiting). I decided not to back it because I already had a few GMTs / Worldtimers, but that was obviously before the campaign ended.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Hollis Brown
Junior
Junior

Post by Hollis Brown »

I'd stay away from MV for a while.

I have one of their previous models and it's a really nice watch, but they seem to be having a lot of problems with the most recent release which has thrown up questions about their methods (and their morals). I'm awaiting delivery of my GMT, but many people have reported receiving watches with misaligned hands, old movements, poor amplitude, and missing straps. This is on the back of MV suddenly changing the movement from ETA to Selitta, as well as the design of the hands, and the design of the GMT hand, just before delivery was due to start.

I'd give it six months and then reassess based on how they manage the end of their current campaign.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Have a look at this thread for a few more details.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51964&hilit=veneziane
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
cl11

Post by cl11 »

thank you folks! you guys are super helpful!

last week, i put the item in the cart in their website, and did not complete the transaction. one of the founder emailed me with an offer of 30% off the following day. it was very tempting. my wife is not a watch person, and does not understand why one should buy a thousand dollar watch versus a $20 one. I've got her permission to buy, but did not go through at the end 'cuz i'm a bit wary about the the company, and that 47.5cm lug-to-lug is a big bit for my thin wrist.

glad u guys give me more context to the company, and i don't feel i've miss a good opportunity at all.
-Charles

CW C60 Trident Pro 600
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

It's a gamble for sure and you need to do your homework/research well.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I guess you could argue that all watch brands start off as microbrands, even the Swiss heavyweights. Rolex didn't start off by making a million watches a year. Microbrands are often frowned upon because they lack heritage and brand equity. They also do not have the funding or, perhaps, desire to seek out celebrity endorsement. There are a lot of brands just looking for a fast buck, making homage pieces of dubious quality, or so-called original pieces with sketchy design language. All this said, with a little research you can find some fledgling watch manufactures that really take pride in what they're doing, many wanting to offer a quality alternative to the mainstream brands. With the better microbrands you can often have dealings with the person that designed/built your watch, I think that's something to be celebrated.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

Some other, recent successes have been offerings from the likes of Vapaus, Marloe, Hoffman, Newmark, Ventus, Maen, Geckota, Draken, Hamtun, Baltic.

A slick campaign is often a good indicator of potential success and quality yet, saying that, MV and Filippo Loretti (?) were almost too slick/'professional' that alarm bells can also occur - more than anything these are quite possibly examples of the 'too good to be true' (and BS) Kickstarters which you should consider running away from.

Hamtun are a great example of genuineness. Ross, the owner, is a very genuine and passionate guy and his social media PR and marketing campaign encourages alot of feedback and interaction. It's the brands who are poor at comms that need to be given a bit of a wide berth, in my opinion.

Thankfully forums like this, WUS, TZUK etc are all good sources of information and debate and discussion, as are the comments and updates sections of each campaign on Kickstarter itself.
panamavin
Senior
Senior

Post by panamavin »

I have the MV Redentore I purchased recently and think it's a great watch. Like CW they responded quickly to my questions and provided great customer service. I've kept up with the recent GMT debacle which admittedly causes pause for concern so as mentioned I would be interested to see how that mess straightens out before jumping.
cl11

Post by cl11 »

thx panamavin. i think i'll wait a bit on this one.
-Charles

CW C60 Trident Pro 600
cl11

Post by cl11 »

I have backed the vaer automatic on kickstarter for their dirty dozen. it seems to be more reliable, and better watch.
-Charles

CW C60 Trident Pro 600
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I’ve read a lot of chat about the Newmarket 71, now fully funded and sold out on KS. Reviews have been very positive. I’m not a backer because I’m off KS but this one has a pretty decent feeling about it. Time will tell, and I hope it works out, knowing a few folks who have backed it.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

MV is a bit of an odd duck among micros, in that they actually have a retail network. It seems that they have designs on being bigger than a Microbrand. One of the 3 US retailers is a short drive (according to Google) from San Jose in Union City. This is a rare opportunity to see a micro in the flesh without buying or seeing one a friend has purchased. The only Canadian retailer, oddly, is in our smallish Northern city. I will have to check them out one day.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
cl11

Post by cl11 »

i changed my mind and backed the ventura v-matic EGO instead. ventura is smaller lug-to-lug, lighter, and better materials, but more expensive. i would have backed vaer if my wrist is not so thin.
-Charles

CW C60 Trident Pro 600
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

WATCHWIZ wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:17 am Hamtun are a great example of genuineness. Ross, the owner, is a very genuine and passionate guy and his social media PR and marketing campaign encourages alot of feedback and interaction. It's the brands who are poor at comms that need to be given a bit of a wide berth
Has anyone seen or worn a Hamtun? What are they like?

I’m uncertain about the link between brand comms and quality. For example, Damasko is hardly known for its communication, yet the watches are superb quality.