Newmark 71 Sports diver

A place to discuss other watch-brands
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Newmark 71 Sports diver

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Lavaine wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:57 am
Can someone explain why they find this so objectionable? He can ship from the far East, and charge 300 GBP, plus 20% VAT on landing, or ship from England and charge 360 GBP. I fail to see the difference. Am I missing something?
I think it was a psychological hurdle. I agree with you in that I still think it's a bargain with the +20% and, as you say, the 20% VAT would have been added had it shipped from the UK.

However, many were expecting it to be the same terms as the 6BB, and the info on shipping from China was right at the bottom of the KS page so it felt like it was purposely hidden. I think it pi55ed people off.

The price should have been advertised as without VAT, so subject to local taxes, instead of hidden in postal information at the bottom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I'm not convinced that this bird will fly, no matter how worthy but I just received this by email:
"With 9 days to go and at 85% we are possibly in sight of a successful campaign which is very encouraging! Today we have introduced a non date silver dial option for all backers (this isn't a stretch goal) so it's yet another choice at survey time!

For those who might wish to see what this looks like then please head over to our Facebook or Instagram page where I have posted and impression of this version"
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

StrapMeister wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 pm It’s just that damn timescale puts me off. I waited 6 months for my Formex watches ....
Think yourself lucky...I'm still waiting for my Formex :(
Apparently there's been some QC problems :thumbdown:

Backed another project, Alexander James NDR1, and that's run into problems that's delaying shipping :(

Kind of puts me off backing any other Kickstarter projects.

Having said that I have backed the Newmark 71 (@£299) but have until 24hrs prior to the funding deadline to keep or pull out.
Completely agree. You trying investing four-figure sums in camera lenses and three figure sums in android technology only for the KS campaigners in both cases to do a runner: I've tasted enough sour lemons to last me a lifetime. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

My experience of KS watches has been that they do arrive, eventually and some of them feel as good as they look.

I think kickstarter experience is a learning curve and, mostly, I'd rather put my money into safer, more interesting places which for me includes pre-owned Omega Geneve Dynamics or F300 Hummers.

Still don't think this one will fly....
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 am
Seems to have moved on a bit in last 24 hours or so, could be close.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 am
Completely agree. You trying investing four-figure sums in camera lenses and three figure sums in android technology only for the KS campaigners in both cases to do a runner: I've tasted enough sour lemons to last me a lifetime. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

My experience of KS watches has been that they do arrive, eventually and some of them feel as good as they look.

I think kickstarter experience is a learning curve and, mostly, I'd rather put my money into safer, more interesting places which for me includes pre-owned Omega Geneve Dynamics or F300 Hummers.

One of the WatchChat mods runs a review site and was very complimentary about the Newmark. It was chatting with him privately that convinced me to back it.

https://zaltek.co.uk/watches/newmark71.html
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:25 pm
One of the WatchChat mods runs a review site and was very complimentary about the Newmark. It was chatting with him privately that convinced me to back it.

https://zaltek.co.uk/watches/newmark71.html
Phil, maybe Newmark should use the pic in the article you quoted. Looks better than on the Kickstarter page.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Just got 2 significant updates from Newmark which certainly makes a significant difference to me personally.

1. We have introduced a non date silver dial option for all backers (this isn't a stretch goal) so it's yet another choice at survey time!

2. After much calculation and deliberation we have managed to put together a plan which will enable us to ship UK and EU rewards from the UK. The only ‘but’ with this is that it could delay shipping by around two weeks (hopefully no more) for those people located within those countries. It is important to us that we are hands on during all phases hence the potential delay.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

StrapMeister wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 pm Just got 2 significant updates from Newmark which certainly makes a significant difference to me personally.

1. We have introduced a non date silver dial option for all backers (this isn't a stretch goal) so it's yet another choice at survey time!

2. After much calculation and deliberation we have managed to put together a plan which will enable us to ship UK and EU rewards from the UK. The only ‘but’ with this is that it could delay shipping by around two weeks (hopefully no more) for those people located within those countries. It is important to us that we are hands on during all phases hence the potential delay.
I think the second point, when word gets around, will push them over the line. 2 week delay would be a small price to pay in order to save on the import charges etc.

TPS10
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by TPS10 »

TheBeatles wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 pm
StrapMeister wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 pm Just got 2 significant updates from Newmark which certainly makes a significant difference to me personally.

I think the second point, when word gets around, will push them over the line. 2 week delay would be a small price to pay in order to save on the import charges etc.
Agreed. I’d been umming and ahing about this since launch and wasn’t sure what was holding me back, but this second point has convinced me to commit. Maybe it was a bit of FOMO, as there is now only 26 available, when they’re gone, they’re gone!
Clovis

Post by Clovis »

Strong increase in pledges last few days. This is going to make and then some with a week to go. Ewan is a watch enthusiast and as others have noted this watch is done right for a good price.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Clovis wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:05 pm Strong increase in pledges last few days. This is going to make and then some with a week to go. Ewan is a watch enthusiast and as others have noted this watch is done right for a good price.
You are Ewan and I claim my £5 :lol: :lol:
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

And over the line, with a no-date silver dial option as well.

Well done Ewan :clap:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Glad it's made it. I haven't backed it, although it is a nice looking piece, but pleased for all involved that its gonna happen
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

I jumped in and bagged one of the last two. Will likely go black, no date. I seem to have a thing for vintage diver repros...
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

In the end I didn't back this, as I have a few other things on the radar right now, and too many in the watch box. If it had come down to the wire I would have backed it to get it over the line. Ewan is doing some great things with Newmark, and this watch deserves to get made, and hopefully keep the brand alive. I have some regret over not backing the 6BB. We will see if I regret not backing this one I guess.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.