Outgoing Rolex GMT master 2, but what to replace it with?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Outgoing Rolex GMT master 2, but what to replace it with?

Post by willttqs »

With prices going through the roof and a couple of bills to pay i have decided to part with my black GMT. I have offers of over £2,000 more than i paid for it!

but the question is, what to replace it with? i have also sold a lovely Omega, so i don't want one of those for the time being, my choices i think at the moment are the following:

another rolex - but cheaper - Air King / Datejust 41 / old sub (I will be about £2.5 up)
Tudor - Harrods version black bay or 58 (I will be much better off!)
Possible a Panerai but must 42mm or smaller.

What do you chaps think?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Outgoing Rolex GMT master 2, but what to replace it with?

Post by downer »

I was thinking of replacing mine with a Grand Seiko GMT Quartz:

All the functionality, better accuracy and most (if not all) of the quality.
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

downer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm I was thinking of replacing mine with a Grand Seiko GMT Quartz:

All the functionality, better accuracy and most (if not all) of the quality.
Are you buying a 3rd motorbike already? :shock:

That aside I was rather tempted by that GS GMT when one was listed on TZ-UK recently.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

i am a bit too much of a snob about japanese quartz watches unless they are G shocks!
downer

Post by downer »

nbg wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm

That aside I was rather tempted by that GS GMT when one was listed on TZ-UK recently.

Neil
:lol: There will be no third motorbike.

My Geophysic is proving difficult to shift, so I've been examining other options. Having a GMT Master and an Explorer II and no longer doing a meaningful amount of timezone shifting just feels like overkill. So - sell both Rolexes, buy a GS as compensation and voila. However, it's just one in a long list of crazy ideas. One thing is for sure, I don't need all these watches. :o
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

willttqs wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:39 pm i am a bit too much of a snob about japanese quartz watches unless they are G shocks!
Fair enough. :D

If you don't need GMT/Date, how about my current favourite Rolex?

Richard
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

yes i do like the explorer so it is up there. i currently have an explorer 2 polar which is a keeper. I don't want to spend more than list though, so might join a few lists at various dealerships
downer

Post by downer »

I think the Explorer 1 is available fairly easily - at list price.
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

downer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Neil

My Geophysic is proving difficult to shift, so I've been examining other options. Having a GMT Master and an Explorer II and no longer doing a meaningful amount of timezone shifting just feels like overkill. So - sell both Rolexes, buy a GS as compensation and voila. However, it's just one in a long list of crazy ideas. One thing is for sure, I don't need all these watches. :o
Six months ago I would have tried to temp you with a Speedy Tuesday + cash for the Geophysic, on the basis you could easily move on the ST. :)

However I sold the ST in January and ended up with a Chrono Reverso and BB58, my initial intention being just the BB58. It’s all in the timing!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

willttqs wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 pm With prices going through the roof and a couple of bills to pay i have decided to part with my black GMT. I have offers of over £2,000 more than i paid for it!

but the question is, what to replace it with? i have also sold a lovely Omega, so i don't want one of those for the time being, my choices i think at the moment are the following:

another rolex - but cheaper - Air King / Datejust 41 / old sub (I will be about £2.5 up)
Tudor - Harrods version black bay or 58 (I will be much better off!)
Possible a Panerai but must 42mm or smaller.

What do you chaps think?
The Tudor's are a good choice, the 58 obviously smaller than the Harrods 41mm. The Harrods seem to be coming down in price a bit, not so much of a premium now they no longer are an LE. I saw a 58 in an AD a week or so ago so not impossible to find in stock, but quite rare.

I'd suggest you try on a few Panerai. The 44mm handwound are quite slim and wear better than you'd think, which is why I bought one. You can get a 40mm automatic but it lacks the presence imo of the larger models.

Rolex - I think you've been there and done that by the sound of things.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

If you have an exp ii whynot just pocket the cash and not replace it?
If you fancy a new toy and a bit of cash then the bb58 is just about a perfect watch
Cheers now, Paul
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

downer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Neil

The geophysic is really very nice and I thought one of your favourites. Same could be said about your explorer ii so why not just sell the gmt master for really good money and keep the other two.
I personally wouldn’t lose the exp ii and take in the seiko. ( but what do I know :lol: )
Cheers now, Paul
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Thanks for your comments I will take a look at a couple of Tudor’s but know to my cost that le doesn’t really mean anything so will not pay over the odds. I did have a Pelagos lhd that I thought would be a winner but it wasn’t money wise that is
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I have just ordered a sinn 104 Basel green dial version so that shall keep me happy for a while ! Due to be delivered tomorrow
downer

Post by downer »

stefs wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:20 pm

The geophysic is really very nice and I thought one of your favourites. Same could be said about your explorer ii so why not just sell the gmt master for really good money and keep the other two.
I personally wouldn’t lose the exp ii and take in the seiko. ( but what do I know :lol: )
Not to derail this thread any further, but you are right - at least on paper, the Geophysic is one of my favourites. However, the reality is that I don't wear it very often so on that basis I decided to sell it. Using that criteria it may also be time to say goodbye to the YM.
Richard