A place to discuss other watch-brands
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Miyota movement accuracy query

Post by keepitsimple »

H0rati0...I fear we are in grave danger of being in agreement :wink:

I'd buy - and have bought - watches with both eta 28nn and Miyota 9nnn movements. I think they are often dismissed by some enthusiasts just because of their lack of exclusivity - but they are very very good movements - to the point of being close to amazing when you consider they are mass produced production line mechanisms, and not those from very high end brands which are apparently only worked on only under moonlight by Swiss gnomes, using tools made from unicorn horn.....

My limited experience leads me to think that their published performance figures are set unrealistically wide just to cover themselves in terms of warranty issues. All mine perform better and mostly a lot better than they specify. I'd buy watches with either movement any day- for the right price. I agree with you though that the eta movements have a bit more visual elegance about them even in their basic form (they are also quite a bit easier to regulate for an amateur like me).

I do draw the line at expensive (for me) watches that use these frankly inexpensive movements even if they do tinker with them a bit. But prices are set by what people are prepared to pay, so you can't blame businesses for that I guess. I'll let you make your own list of who those might be :) They rely on the fact that most expensive watches are bought by non-geeks who have no idea what truly runs inside them.

Yup - cost to a manufacturer for a high volume order would be an interesting one - my theory is that the 9130 is not a common movement in volume terms, and probably has little direct competition at the sort of quality/price point they are asking for them unless you look at chinese brands - so it can probably attract a premium. In reality it's a 9015 with a small complication added for about double the price :thumbup:
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

keepitsimple wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:42 pm H0rati0...I fear we are in grave danger of being in agreement :wink:

I'd buy - and have bought - watches with both eta 28nn and Miyota 9nnn movements. I think they are often dismissed by some enthusiasts just because of their lack of exclusivity - but they are very very good movements - to the point of being close to amazing when you consider they are mass produced production line mechanisms, and not those from very high end brands which are apparently only worked on only under moonlight by Swiss gnomes, using tools made from unicorn horn.....

My limited experience leads me to think that their published performance figures are set unrealistically wide just to cover themselves in terms of warranty issues. All mine perform better and mostly a lot better than they specify. I'd buy watches with either movement any day- for the right price. I agree with you though that the eta movements have a bit more visual elegance about them even in their basic form (they are also quite a bit easier to regulate for an amateur like me).

I do draw the line at expensive (for me) watches that use these frankly inexpensive movements even if they do tinker with them a bit. But prices are set by what people are prepared to pay, so you can't blame businesses for that I guess. I'll let you make your own list of who those might be :) They rely on the fact that most expensive watches are bought by non-geeks who have no idea what truly runs inside them.

Yup - cost to a manufacturer for a high volume order would be an interesting one - my theory is that the 9130 is not a common movement in volume terms, and probably has little direct competition at the sort of quality/price point they are asking for them unless you look at chinese brands - so it can probably attract a premium. In reality it's a 9015 with a small complication added for about double the price :thumbup:
Hmm, the agreement is becoming violent!

Your experience mirrors my own with both ETA and Seiko (I do not have a Miyota - as yet...) individual units are usually well inside spec, often to the point of amazingly so. Of course it could be that the watch manufacturer tweaks them as they QA, whatever, they are very good performers and excellent VFM.

Where I absolutely concur is pay the right price whatever the target - DYOR!!!!! I too avoid the hyper priced "must haves" only buying stuff when I can see good, sustainable over time, support for VFM. I do make "errors" though!

I tend mostly to go SH these days, partly because I enjoy researching prices and deals, partly because I am amazed at what's available, ie the cracking watches that people buy, don't wear and then flip - though I do confess to a couple of bought (with the best of intentions) but not worn, myself. I haven't yet flipped though!

Finally, while I do have a bit of a thing for in-house movements (call me purist, but isn't making the movement a big chunk of genuinely being a watch manufacturer?) it always comes back down to VFM/market support rather than ethereal "exclusivity". The "in house" cachet alone does not cut it, do it better or go ETA or the like.

cheers 8)
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

As a footnote to this helpful discussion, I think I'm only just letting go with expectation where mechanical accuracy is concerned. In this case it's a Miyota 9130. I have always enjoyed quartz, principally because it is so accurate, but also because it is largely maintenance free (until a new battery is needed). Having now delved in to the mechanical market, I realise there is so much more to concern oneself with than just the watches accuracy. Invariably the watch will have many other features/endearing characteristics. But..the incredible piece of micro engineering that every mechanical watch is, is indeed its own draw. 28,800vph, and the pleasing sweep it produces, still keeps me enthralled. I guess that really does make me a newbie.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?