Breitling anyone?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Breitling anyone?

Post by EddieTheBeast »

I've often walk past an AD, at lunchtimes whilst at work in Nottingham, with some very nice looking Breitling watches in the window, some second hand and some new. And then this morning I watched this video link here (Just to help with the jargon: Killer = Excellent!! :shock:)

I'm really starting to like the look of this brand, but haven't even got as far as trying one on! There seems to be lots of Rolex and Omega watches posted on this forum, but not Breitling watches! Does anyone own one or have experience with one? Can anyone post any photos, reviews or such. Should I consider this brand or follow the Forum trend and save up for a Rolex or Omega instead?
Dean
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Breitling anyone?

Post by kiter65 »

Not a fan of Breitling or Tag, don’t know why but they just don’t appeal to me, but if you like them Dean, get trying them on and go for it, what a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon :thumbup:
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

Myself I would go Tudor but if you like the watch go for it :thumbup:
Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Never owned one, but have been tempted. Some have Tudor movements fitted.

Be careful what you pay, Boutiques will charge RRP, but it's not uncommon to see 30% off. I almost bought one from Bucherer with 50% off last year.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I'm a fan of the brand. Lots of history, the iconic Navitimer, good build quality, plus their own movements in the more expensive watches. I put them on the same rank as Omega.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I have owned one and though I had trouble with it (ingress of water after a service) they were excellent at resolution. But it was a watch I never bonded with (I have practically zero use for a chronograph) so I sold it on and here is the kicker: they do not keep their value and I say that in comparison to other brands' devaluation.

If you like them, definitely buy second hand and negotiate hard.

I would agree with Atnits though, for quality and pedigree, Omega level.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I too have never owned a Breitling and not particularly a fan however they have a number of great models in their back catalogue (I love the Navitimer) and their new range also looks very nice, albeit quite expensive at RRP.

I would definitely not rule out getting one at some point and I agree I categorise them as a premium brand.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'm far more likely to buy a Breitling than a Tudor or Rolex.

Really like their 44mm Chronomat.

Depreciation is no worse than a Bremont, or others.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s one of those brands I just never look at for some reason. TAG is another. Same with Oris, Rado, B&M, MF, RW, Ebel and a few others. They have just never attracted me in the way that Omega, Cartier &c. have. No idea why really. :ka:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Squee

Post by Squee »

I have a Breitling Colt chronograph—one of my favorites. Not for everyone—it’s on the large side at 44 mm, but it’s beautifully finished and I love the style of it. Like Omega, Breitling does sapphire double AR very well — this is a watch with a deep chapter ring and textured dial, and a lot of the time it looks like there is no crystal, and you could reach in and touch the face directly.

The thing that most surprised me was the lume. It’s actually quite good for a chronograph, and typically lasts all night.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:28 pm It’s one of those brands I just never look at for some reason. TAG is another. Same with Oris, Rado, B&M, MF, RW, Ebel and a few others.
I have a similar point of view. I think the reason for me being that I don’t view collecting as acquiring loads of different brands or styles of watch, just because they are different. There always seems to be something else that I prefer.

Doesn’t mean I haven’t occasionally seen a Breitling I quite like, just not enough to buy one. I do though really like the Breitling that Kari has, that used to belong to Paul.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

I love my B-1 it's my favourite watch ever
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Thanks for sharing opinions and advice. I'll nip into the shop near where I work one lunchtime to try a few on. My favourite is the Colt 41 Automatic ❤️ It's a really good size at 41mm diameter and only 10.70mm thick. The steel bezel looks amazing, as does the rail-track minute markers and the circle pattern on the dial!

Dean
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

Wouldn't be without my 2002 Superocean, my most worn watch. A bit shiny for some people but I like it. I could also be tempted by a few of the modern Breitling offerings but outside my price range.

CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

^^^^ That is fab Nigel!! ❤️⌚🔥
Dean